ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Thanks Estela
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Saint Sway: How do you rate the Crowes DVD? Return to archive
18th April 2006 08:51 PM
Mel Belli My take: Good performances -- "Welcome to the Goodtimes" is pretty damn stunning, although you can plainly see Chris peeking at the TelePrompter, the use of which he once scorned! -- but with a tour that saw several amazing setlists, the DVD offering is comparatively bland...
[Edited by Mel Belli]
18th April 2006 08:51 PM
glencar I rate it a ZERO. That's on a one-to-one-thousand scale.
18th April 2006 08:53 PM
Altamont Didn't saint Sway dis Mick for using a teleprompter?
18th April 2006 10:30 PM
deuce I'm actually a Crowes fan and I wasn't all that impressed when I saw them last summer. I didn't think Chris's voice was that great and the band seemed to be lacking energy. Now, don't get me wrong, I own the albums and love the songs (well most of them anyway). I know what they can do live and I have some good DVD's (my favorite is probably Koln 1992). However, I won't be buying this new DVD. Still interested in what you have to say about it though, Sway.
19th April 2006 06:30 AM
Jumping Jack I'd rather see Aero, Macca or U2 than the BCs. At least those bands have written some decent songs. The BCs bore the shit out of me and I don't care if they love the Stones, cover the Stones, and are Stones wannabees.
19th April 2006 09:24 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
deuce wrote:
I'm actually a Crowes fan and I wasn't all that impressed when I saw them last summer. I didn't think Chris's voice was that great and the band seemed to be lacking energy. Now, don't get me wrong, I own the albums and love the songs (well most of them anyway). I know what they can do live and I have some good DVD's (my favorite is probably Koln 1992). However, I won't be buying this new DVD. Still interested in what you have to say about it though, Sway.

I agree that it wasn't their best performance ever, but one thing I did like about it was the great set list. I like how they always mix it up. The one on the DVD was particularly strong.
19th April 2006 11:13 AM
voodoopug I do enjoy the BC's but I also felt that their performance when I seen them last year was less than I expected.
19th April 2006 01:33 PM
Dan
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I'd rather see Aero, Macca or U2 than the BCs. At least those bands have written some decent songs. The BCs bore the shit out of me and I don't care if they love the Stones, cover the Stones, and are Stones wannabees.

I kinda liked them in the early 90's (and even dug the bootleg DVD from 1990 I recently scored) but they bore the hell out of me too. Damn near fell asleep at the Greek in 2001 (and that was the "hits setlist" - my friend had to suffer through the alt gig the next night). Thought for sure they would do a decent job of following the less than dynamic Oasis but they didn't even come close.
19th April 2006 06:02 PM
Saint Sway I dig it. I've got dvds of them that I'd watch over this, just bc of the song selection. But I like it. It aint a monumental film like The Last Waltz. But as far as basic live dvds go, I think its one of the better ones. Certainly music and performance wise.

CONS: the biggest con (IMO) about the dvd is the lighting. Its that hideous bright Chineese restaurant lighting. Which, if you've ever been to a Crowes concert you know that the stage is just lit by their endless amounts of candles and incense. The lighting on this just kills the whole vibe of a Crowes show. But hey thats how they shot it and thats how they shoot most live dvds...

the other con would be the sequences of them walking around. Just silly. This is one of the most talented live bands, so show them playing. I dont need to see Marc Ford walking thru China Town when I can see him wailing onstage.

my only other beef, and its not a really little one, is that they played 8 amazing nights at the Fillmore - the set lists were insane. I honestly think they could of picked a better night. But, that said, this is a great set list. It showcases them well. Some really cool acoustic stuff. The horns are a great addition.

PROS: The performance!!!!! This band smokes. Y'all can say what you want about Chris (I think hes one of the best) but theres no denying that the 5 cats behind him are frickin stellar musicians!!!! These guys wail!!!

The dvd is worth its price alone just for the opening song: Halfway To Everywhere. A tune they probably played only 8 times all year. They worked out the horn arrangement that afternoon, added a new arrangement and chorus to the ending and then take the stage and OPENED THE SHOW with it and BLEW THE ROOF off the place. Thats how solid these guys are!!! I was seriously blown away after the 1st song. The band is tight! For those of you who dont know the song - its basically their tribute to Sly Stone. A real funky tune. And they came out high energy and wailing. Followed it up with a rootsy rockin Sting Me and then shook the Fillmores foundation with No Speak No Slave. Listen to them wail on that song and tell me theres a more kick ass live band.

19th April 2006 06:12 PM
Some Guy Whats the name of this dvd?
19th April 2006 06:59 PM
MRD8 The thing I like best about it is the filming technique...they don't use that two seconds on one person like a lot of concert DVD's do these days, Four Flicks included! That "shotgun" style of filming gives me a headache after a while...
19th April 2006 07:16 PM
Dan
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
The thing I like best about it is the filming technique...they don't use that two seconds on one person like a lot of concert DVD's do these days, Four Flicks included! That "shotgun" style of filming gives me a headache after a while...

Thats why I prefer bootlegs! Most official releases are like that now so I end up just listening and staring at the computer screen instead. Was bummed when I didn't see a single good review of the technique in the new Iron Maiden DVD but it has a tour doc so I guess I will go ahead and get it anyway.
20th April 2006 01:53 AM
glencar
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I'd rather see Aero, Macca or U2 than the BCs. At least those bands have written some decent songs. The BCs bore the shit out of me and I don't care if they love the Stones, cover the Stones, and are Stones wannabees.

Post Of The Week!!!!
20th April 2006 05:47 AM
Jumping Jack Keepin' it real, LOL!
20th April 2006 06:47 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
The thing I like best about it is the filming technique...they don't use that two seconds on one person like a lot of concert DVD's do these days, Four Flicks included! That "shotgun" style of filming gives me a headache after a while...

I know just what you mean, it was a trend started with music videos in the mid-90's, and its only gotten faster and more hyped ever since. It eventually started spilling over on to DVD's and now its got out of hand, so its nice to have a DVD like this. Its great when you actually see a shot of the guitarist doing a full solo, since it makes more sense than switching to shots of the drummer, audience, roadies, and singer doing nothing during the solo!!
20th April 2006 12:59 PM
christijanus I love it,from beginning to the end, period! Very great sound. Rich and Marc are very great and Chris is sounding fantastic. Is it true that there are no more DVD's of them? Maybe some good amateur shootings?
Saint Sway do you have some info about this? Thanks in advatage, Chris
[Edited by christijanus]
20th April 2006 04:47 PM
Some Guy I got it today
20th April 2006 04:53 PM
glencar And yer still awake?
20th April 2006 05:03 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
christijanus wrote:
I love it,from beginning to the end, period! Very great sound. Rich and Marc are very great end Chris is sounding fantastic. Is it true that there are no more DVD's of them? Maybe some good amateur shootings?
Saint Sway do you have some info about this? Thanks in advatage, Chris

I got a ton of dvds. just no way to burn them. go to the trading section at amorica.org and one of the kind souls there will hook you up
21st April 2006 12:47 PM
christijanus Thank you
21st April 2006 10:15 PM
Some Guy I watched it. I skipped through it a lot, just not that exciting in my opinion. You can't seriously compare them to the Stones, it just aint right. They need Chuck back!
[Edited by Some Guy]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)