ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Thanks Estela
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones covered at Robinson brothers acoustic gigs Return to archive
18th April 2006 10:32 AM
Saint Sway last night in Austin Chris & Rich Robinson played 2 acoustic shows. They covered NO EXPECTATIONS on the 1st show and LET IT BLEED on the second show.

I saw them do No Expectations at the Warsaw on Thursday. Just an absolutely stunning version. Chris played the Keith rhythm parts on acoustic and Rich played a gorgeous send up of Brian Jones R&R circus slide work on his custom Zematis.
18th April 2006 11:48 AM
Break The Spell I'd be interested in hearing their version of No Expectations, it's in my top 10 Stones songs easily. Pure emotion throughout, and one of the saddest songs they ever did. Brian's work in it captures the inner hurt perfectly.

"The blue light was my baby, the red light was my mind".
18th April 2006 12:19 PM
Saint Sway theres a download available of this... I'll try and track it down for you. These shows have been such a treat. Just amazing.

heres a writeup:
"'Brothers of a Feather' is certainly a sight to behold and a sound to endear. Although there are only eleven dates booked for the tour, if Friday's show is any indication, they will go down in rock and roll history as some of the greatest performances ever played," reports the Stony Brook Independent (4/15/06) about the brothers' show at Rose Theater @ Jazz at Lincoln Center.
18th April 2006 12:21 PM
Break The Spell Cool, thanks, I'm sure it was great. Johnny Cash also did a good version of No Expectations.
18th April 2006 12:26 PM
JuanTCB
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I saw them do No Expectations at the Warsaw on Thursday.

The Warsaw in Brooklyn, Saint Sway?

Damn - I live just down the street - I had no idea they were playing.
18th April 2006 12:29 PM
voodoopug
quote:
JuanTCB wrote:

This is what happens when you don't have the Cohl's booking/promoting.....folks who wanted to go had no idea a show was occurring.
18th April 2006 12:33 PM
Throwaway Seeing the setlists and hearing reviews are making me regret not going, too bad they didn't have any shows closer to DC/Baltimore. Sway, you know if any instant live/boots will become available anytime? Hope you enjoyed the shows (I'm sure you did, sounds like they were intimate as hell and a treat!)
18th April 2006 12:41 PM
Saint Sway yes the shows were very intimate and amazing. The reaction was overwhelming - many standing ovations throughout the shows. Great to hear stripped down versions of Crowes classics perfectly harmonized by the brothers. As well as cool covers and previously unreleased songs. With even more surprises on the way for the LA & SF shows. Possibly YOU GOT THE SILVER....

unfortunately no Instant Live CDs for these shows. But a future cd/dvd combo is possibly in the works.

meanwhile theres some boots already circulating. I'll post links later.

quote:
Throwaway wrote:
Seeing the setlists and hearing reviews are making me regret not going, too bad they didn't have any shows closer to DC/Baltimore. Sway, you know if any instant live/boots will become available anytime? Hope you enjoyed the shows (I'm sure you did, sounds like they were intimate as hell and a treat!)

18th April 2006 02:47 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
JuanTCB wrote:

the thick wave of kind bud wafting thru the air should of tipped you off!

heres a review of the Lincoln Center show:
http://www.sbindependent.org/node/941

I love this part. The writer nails what these shows were about: A big thankyou to their fans. Very cool!

---------
What makes the "Brothers of a Feather" tour such a success (aside from the performance itself) is the basic principle behind it: it is a tour for the faithful fans, those that have stuck by the band and its members through every facet of their careers. Why else would the Robinsons dust off semi-retired originals such as "Thunderstorm 6:54 PM" and "Wyoming and Me" (both unreleased tracks that made their way to the hearts of the fans via bootlegs) and fan-favorite covers such as "Boomer's Story" if they weren't trying to cater to their most loyal diehards? "Brothers of a Feather" isn't trying to win new fans, it's trying to reward those already won.
---------

that part about them not "trying to win new fans, it's trying to reward those already won." is something that I wish Mick & Co embraced. The Stones always have catered to the newbies with heavy warhorse/greatest hits sets and have always thumbed their nose at the die hard loyal followers. Its a shame. Imagine the possibilities of endless cool stuff we could of beared witness to over the years...

19th April 2006 10:26 AM
Saint Sway 2nd night in Austin last night.... they played TORN & FRAYED

hell yeah!!!
19th April 2006 11:25 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
2nd night in Austin last night.... they played TORN & FRAYED

hell yeah!!!

Great song, I was listening to the Stones live version of this they did on their Licks tour on sunday. I'll have to check out The Crowes version.
19th April 2006 11:51 AM
Saint Sway a few of these "Brothers of A Feather" show are now up on etree!!!
19th April 2006 12:01 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
a few of these "Brothers of A Feather" show are now up on etree!!!

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. I also want to listen to their Band Sessions album, from the sounds of it, it will be my favorite of the unreleased stuff.
19th April 2006 05:39 PM
MRD8 http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=24408
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=24398
19th April 2006 08:36 PM
BILL PERKS MAYBE THEY COULD WRITE SOME OF THEIR OWN SONGS..I GUESS THEY ALREADY TRIED THAT
20th April 2006 09:02 AM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
MAYBE THEY COULD WRITE SOME OF THEIR OWN SONGS..I GUESS THEY ALREADY TRIED THAT

AND SUCCEDED!!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)