ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Thanks Estela
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: black limousine apreciation Return to archive
18th April 2006 01:21 AM
prodigalson this song rocks so hard. the solo is really great. anyone no any thing about the song? the harmonica and lead guitar are awesome.
18th April 2006 02:31 AM
Spru I know Ronnie co-wrote this one. I agree that it's one of their most overlooked gems, and it's one of the reasons Tattoo You is one of the band's finest albums. It should be played more often live, then again, what underappreciated gems of theirs shouldn't be?
18th April 2006 02:33 AM
Spru Also, check this out: http://www.timeisonourside.com/SOBlackLimo.html
18th April 2006 04:46 AM
Jumacfly A killer song, especially live in 1981.
the boys jammed and rocked hard!
18th April 2006 06:45 AM
Break The Spell I love Black Limo, Ronnie's solo is great. Don't know why they don't do blusier songs like these live all that much anymore. The trio of Slave / T&A / Black Limo is my favorite part of TY.
18th April 2006 07:04 AM
justforyou The Stripped Companion version is very nice.
18th April 2006 08:37 AM
nankerphelge One of my favorites and the Stripped Companion version has a nice Mick harp at the end! Raunches it up nicely!

18th April 2006 09:10 AM
Break The Spell The Stripped companion version is the one I'd like to see them work into the live set now and then. It could alternate with SMU and other TY songs, of course that won't happen.
18th April 2006 10:27 AM
Saint Sway A great song that would go over well at any spot in the current set list.

Ronnie Wood was once one of the greatest rock slide guitarist IMO. Still has some nice slide chops. Its no coincidence that The songs where Ronnie plays slide are the best ones they've released during his tenure: Black Limo, Rough Justice, Storm, YGMR....
18th April 2006 11:14 AM
Throwaway My personal favorite version is the one from "Shattered In Europe" but after a while I went back and listened to the studio version, which I rediscovered. While the SC version is kind of polished, the album version (better to get extended outtake versions) has even better soloing. I think they could still pull it off live, as RW played it at his show last March.
18th April 2006 11:21 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
A great song that would go over well at any spot in the current set list.

Ronnie Wood was once one of the greatest rock slide guitarist IMO. Still has some nice slide chops. Its no coincidence that The songs where Ronnie plays slide are the best ones they've released during his tenure: Black Limo, Rough Justice, Storm, YGMR....

He also did pretty good on the live versions of No Expectations during the Licks tour.
18th April 2006 11:29 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

He also did pretty good on the live versions of No Expectations during the Licks tour.

Yes. And his slide work over the years on ADTL has been a highlight on each tour. The only song where he even remotely treads close to the MT version.

I think that Ronnie's alcohol & drug abuse has rotted away his memory and ability to play chords and weave with Keith. The Stones live sound would be better suited if they just let Ronnie play slide and let Jagger play rhythm guitar parts along side Keith (see: WTWCD, IGW, LIB)

[Edited by Saint Sway]
19th April 2006 10:14 PM
Soldatti Mick wanted to leave it out of Tattoo You, I think that Ronnie convinced him.
20th April 2006 05:18 AM
justforyou
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
The Stones live sound would be better suited if they just let Ronnie play slide and let Jagger play rhythm guitar parts along side Keith (see: WTWCD, IGW, LIB)

WTWCD sounds like a wreck these days devoid of any meaningful riffing. Mick playing guitar with Keith, Ron, and Chuck makes for a mess. Never liked IGW - childish chorus, LIB is awesome - though my memory can't get past Hampton '81 version, didn't like the Stripped version.
20th April 2006 06:38 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
justforyou wrote:

WTWCD sounds like a wreck these days devoid of any meaningful riffing.

I like on the MSG 2003 version where Mick is playing rhythm and Keith makes weird faces toward the beginning of it, not liking what Mick is playing and comes up and yells something at him. Mick quicking turns around and sticks his tongue out at Keith before resuming vocals.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)