ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Thanks Estela
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Don't Stop Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
17th April 2006 01:21 AM
Spru I've been a big fan of Don't Stop since it was released in 2002, and I don't see or hear much about it these days. I rarely, if ever, see it mentioned on this message board. I'm just curious, what are the opinions on this song? I love the guitar groove, highlighted by Ronnie's solo (and his guitar-cam during the Licks tour). Mick's lyrics and vocals are also a high point on this one. I'd love to see it find it's way back into the setlist for a show or two.
17th April 2006 01:33 AM
gorda I liked this song a lot in the beginning, I kept hearing it over and over again. Then, I grew tired of it, I haven't heard it in a while. Thanks for reminding me. It's a good song.
17th April 2006 02:48 AM
Highwire Rob Yes! I really wish they would have played this again when I saw them this time out.

I listen to Don't Stop just about every day on my CD carousel's programmed Stones Mix. It Never fails to lift my spirits. I also can't listen to it without seeing those Forty Licks Ronnie-cam shots!

The song deserved a much better video--that's for sure.
17th April 2006 03:48 AM
StickyFishFingers I agree - i really love this song. The rhythm part is also quite easy to play on guitar.
17th April 2006 04:54 AM
Honky Tonk Man Don’t Stop is a great song and was a joy to hear live during the Licks tour. Sadly, I doubt we'll ever get it again live because it flopped as a single. Does anyone remember the video? Boy, that was terrible!
17th April 2006 06:58 AM
Break The Spell Out of the 4 new songs they did for Licks, this and Losing My Touch were my favorites. I would like to hear what else they recorded during these sessions in 02, supposedly, it was around 30 songs in total. I have a feeling there will be at least one more studio album from the band and hopefully they revisit some of the material from these Licks sessions.
17th April 2006 09:59 AM
corgi37 Dont stop was average in a bad bunch.

They will never do it again.

The clip was shit.

And there will not be another studio album. Not of new stuff anyway. Took fucking 8 years for ABB!

17th April 2006 01:14 PM
Spru The video was horrible. Does anyone (US residents primarily) remember the NBA "Love It Live" commerical that ran in fall '02 featuring Don't Stop? It featured basketball highlights as well as decent video from the Licks tour. One of my favorite Stones related commericals, as I am a basketball player and avid NBA fan.

Also, I would like to hear more from the Licks sessions. I felt all 4 songs were good. I liked Keys To Your Love much better than SOL or BM. Stealing My Heart was also a nice garge-rock style song around the time of the garage rock explosion of the Strokes and White Stripes.
17th April 2006 01:19 PM
voodoopug I remembered that commercial. I liked that song a lot and wished it was played on occassion this tour.

It was actually a song that was derived for "Goddess in the doorway" and Mick thought it worked better as a Stones song and brought it to the band. (Similar to "Almost Hear You Sigh" from Keith's Talk is CHeap sessions)
17th April 2006 01:36 PM
pdog I't s just a hybrid of Start Me Up, IMO.
17th April 2006 01:37 PM
The Wick Loved it then and still do, however you should listen to the rock mix, not the poncey pop one which made a great song sound limp.
17th April 2006 04:06 PM
Spru Never heard the rock mix, where can I find it on the net?
17th April 2006 04:36 PM
The Wick It's all over the web, but I don't know which of these sites are legit and which ones are dodgy, so I would just search. In the meantime, check out a sample here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006LJC2/002-9225724-3029603?v=glance&n=5174
17th April 2006 05:41 PM
Gazza Agree with my fellow Besty-avatar comrade about the rock mix being superior.

I thought when played live the song was pretty good, too. It also got better as the tour progressed.

Its a solid enough song without being spectacular but after waiting 5 years for something new, being somewhat underwhelmed was a natural reaction.

certainly better than the other 3 new songs on 40 Licks. 'Stealing my heart' was decent, but the other two were substandard and unworthy of release IMO

17th April 2006 06:23 PM
maumau
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Its a solid enough song without being spectacular but after waiting 5 years for something new, being somewhat underwhelmed was a natural reaction.

certainly better than the other 3 new songs on 40 Licks. 'Stealing my heart' was decent, but the other two were substandard and unworthy of release IMO




guess it is matter of opinion
i found, find dont stop not decent (would-be poppy, would-be hooky, would-be fm friendly), stealing average, keith's ballad derivative, keys groovy and stylish (as some of alfie's soundtrack), certainly better than ABB ballads (a part from LIND of course)
18th April 2006 02:48 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I really liked all of the new stuff they put out on Licks. I wasnt overly keen on Losing My Touch though.

Dont stop was one of my favourites on the licks tour.
18th April 2006 06:59 AM
Break The Spell Don't Stop did work well on the Licks tour. However, it seems as if its one of those songs that they do live when its new, yet never play again after the tour is done (Silver Train, Hang Fire, Mixed Emotions, etc.).
18th April 2006 07:10 AM
Navin
And perhaps for the first time, "Dont Stop" - the only new song performed live on the Licks tour was not deemed suitable for inclusion on 'Live Licks'
18th April 2006 07:39 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Navin wrote:

And perhaps for the first time, "Dont Stop" - the only new song performed live on the Licks tour was not deemed suitable for inclusion on 'Live Licks'



I was assuming it would be on disc one, since it was indeed a warhorse of that tour. Actually, that album was going to have a lot more songs included but many got cut like "Hand Of Fate" and "Heartbreaker".
18th April 2006 07:43 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I was uoprised that it didnt appear on live licks too
18th April 2006 08:30 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Actually, that album was going to have a lot more songs included but many got cut like "Hand Of Fate" and "Heartbreaker".



That really doesn’t bother me. They'd only of been the same versions we got on Four Flicks anyway. The Japanese bonus track (If You Can't Rock Me) was also taken from the DVD. In fact, Can't You Hear Me Knocking (taken from the Wiltern theatre?) was the only previously unreleased track. Oh, and I've just remembered. Thru And Thru from Rarities is also from the DVD. Bloody hell, talk about bleeding things dry!
18th April 2006 09:13 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:


That really doesn’t bother me. They'd only of been the same versions we got on Four Flicks anyway. The Japanese bonus track (If You Can't Rock Me) was also taken from the DVD. In fact, Can't You Hear Me Knocking (taken from the Wiltern theatre?) was the only previously unreleased track. Oh, and I've just remembered. Thru And Thru from Rarities is also from the DVD. Bloody hell, talk about bleeding things dry!



Yes, HOF and Heartbreaker were on Four Flicks, but I still would have liked to see them make an official live album after all this time. When you have 8 official live albums, at least they could put out as many different songs as possible on the releases, and thats what they did for the most part in the past.
18th April 2006 12:29 PM
Spru Don't Stop should have been on Live Licks for sure. Other songs I thought could have gone on there were Wild Horses (instead of Angie - similar to Stripped version), Midnight Rambler (instead of Gimmie Shelter - similar to No Security version), and Before They Make Me Run instead of You Don't Have To Mean It. Although, as a great band once taught me, you can't always get what you want.
18th April 2006 12:40 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Spru wrote:
The video was horrible. Does anyone (US residents primarily) remember the NBA "Love It Live" commerical that ran in fall '02 featuring Don't Stop? It featured basketball highlights as well as decent video from the Licks tour. One of my favorite Stones related commericals, as I am a basketball player and avid NBA fan.

Also, I would like to hear more from the Licks sessions. I felt all 4 songs were good. I liked Keys To Your Love much better than SOL or BM. Stealing My Heart was also a nice garge-rock style song around the time of the garage rock explosion of the Strokes and White Stripes.


I remember that vid. Mick Jagger is a huge NBA fan as well.

I love Don't Stop. Still play it, best thing they have done in many, many years.
18th April 2006 12:45 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I remember that vid. Mick Jagger is a huge NBA fan as well.

I love Don't Stop. Still play it, best thing they have done in many, many years.



It is a very strong track, I just wished it made it on to Live Licks, it would have been the most appropriate song to make it on there as it was a new song for the tour and all. Who knows if they will ever play it live again.
18th April 2006 01:04 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:


It is a very strong track, I just wished it made it on to Live Licks, it would have been the most appropriate song to make it on there as it was a new song for the tour and all. Who knows if they will ever play it live again.



As usual, I agree with you. It was a pivotal part of the Licks tour and it SHOULD'VE made it onto Live Licks.

Back on to the subject of the studio release, I listened to it earlier. It's just such a clean and fresh sounding track. There’s a bit of Keith in the mix, but the feel and commercialism I pick up when listening is pure Mick Jagger.

I certainly wouldn’t moan if I heard it again, but with the song being their key promotion during the Licks tour, I doubt we'll get it again. The song is just SO 2002/2003!
18th April 2006 01:08 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Back on to the subject of the studio release, I listened to it earlier. It's just such a clean and fresh sounding track. There’s a bit of Keith in the mix, but the feel and commercialism I pick up when listening is pure Mick Jagger.

I certainly wouldn’t moan if I heard it again, but with the song being their key promotion during the Licks tour, I doubt we'll get it again. The song is just SO 2002/2003!



Its Mick allright. Keith said he just added "the fairy dust" to the track.

Mick playing Don't Stop guitar, in almost air guitar fashion, during Licks was cool.
18th April 2006 01:10 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:


As usual, I agree with you. It was a pivotal part of the Licks tour and it SHOULD'VE made it onto Live Licks.

Back on to the subject of the studio release, I listened to it earlier. It's just such a clean and fresh sounding track. There’s a bit of Keith in the mix, but the feel and commercialism I pick up when listening is pure Mick Jagger.

I certainly wouldn’t moan if I heard it again, but with the song being their key promotion during the Licks tour, I doubt we'll get it again. The song is just SO 2002/2003!




Haha, it is very 2002, and you know how Mick hates to look back on the past!! I think the commercial feel may be due to the fact that Mick came up with the basic idea of the song during his GITD sessions which was a very commercial sounding record. Then Keith came in and put his unique touch on it and made it purely a Stones track.
18th April 2006 01:16 PM
glencar I love the song. It's one they should pull out once in a while. The otehr 3 songs were pretty dull.
18th April 2006 01:29 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
glencar wrote:
I love the song. It's one they should pull out once in a while. The otehr 3 songs were pretty dull.



Loosing My Touch was dull; Stealing My Heart isn’t bad at all. Keys To Your Love is just GAY! I never thought I’d ever describe a Stones number like that, but there you go. I just have.

What I will add is that NONE of the new tracks on 40 Licks would fit on A Bigger Bang. They all have a completely, in a way, non-Stones sound. The tracks on their latest are far more traditional in that sense.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)