ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1994 José Luis Velasco
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Christie's has the perfect gift for me... Stones @ Crawdaddy 1963 Return to archive
April 18th, 2004 12:33 PM
Angiegirl Dunno if it has been mentioned here already, if it has, I'm sorry: Christie's is selling this nice little tape of the Stones performing at the Crawdaddy Club in 1963. My birthday's in August, just so you know...

http://www.christies.com/promos/may...lery.asp?page=9
(Got it from Dutch mailinglist, thanx Rem)

The Rolling Stones
A rare ¼ inch reel-to-reel tape recording of The Rolling Stones performing at the Crawdaddy Club, Richmond Athletic Association, Richmond, Summer 1963, the recording made by Paul Lucas on two reels of Agfa Magnetonband tape,
approximate running time 90 minutes, running order:
1. Route 66 [complete]
2. Come On
3. Talkin' Bout You
4. Love Potion No.9
5. Roll Over Beethoven
6. Money
7. Pretty Thing [complete]
8. Jaguar & Thunderbird
9. Don't Lie To Me
10.Our Little Rendezvous [complete, Chuck Berry's rewrite of Good Morning
Little Schoolgirl - this Berry song is unknown in any other version by the
Stones]
11.You Got Me Running
12.Brown Eyed Handsome Man
13.Diddley Diddley Daddy [complete]
14.Money [complete];
accompanied by a c.d. of the recording and a black and white photograph of
The Rolling Stones on stage at the Station Hotel, Richmond, 1963 [printed
later] -- 8½x10¼in. (21.6x26cm.)

This recording is offered for sale without copyright, broadcast rights, performers consents, and other reproduction rights. The Buyer must apply to the relevant parties to obtain such clearance and consents as may be
necessary (4)

Lot Notes In the early 1960s Paul Lucas was the bass player in Jeff Beck's band The Tridents, and, along with the embryonic Who and Yardbirds, frequented Giorgio Gomelsky's Crawdaddy Club, first situated at the Station
Hotel in Richmond, later moving to the Richmond Athletic Association at the end of June, 1963. On the occasion that the above recording was made at the Athletic Association venue, sometime between July and September, 1963, Mr
Lucas had borrowed a friend's clockwork tape recorder (clockwork recorders were usually used by news reporters and pre-dated cassette recorders). Mr Lucas recalls having to arrive early at the venue to get close to the stage.
When the Stones came on, he and his brother were situated to the left of the stage, just in front of Brian Jones, and asked his permission to record the performance.

Giorgio Gomelsky's club became known as the Crawdaddy after the Stones started their weekly stint on 24th February - the Bo Diddley song Doing The Crawdaddy was the last number of their set. It was here that they first came
to the attention of the Press, were famously visited by The Beatles at Gomelsky's invitation on 14th April, and first seen by Andrew Loog Oldham on 28th April. Oldham moved quickly to sign up the Stones, and on 1st May,
Brian Jones found himself in the offices Oldham rented from Eric Easton on Regent Sreet, signing a three-year management contract on behalf of the group. In his autobiography Stone Alone, Bill Wyman said of receiving their first paycheck from Gomelsky..."the place was to mean much more to the band's future than money..."

Although a couple of set lists from this era have been preserved, no live recordings were thought to exist. Due to the nature of the recording equipment used, not all the tracks are complete, some suffer from either intermittent microphone connection or dropout due to the machine needing to be wound up and restarted (tracks that are complete have been marked as such in the catalogue description). In spite of the primitive recording
equipment, the quality is surprisingly good and the tape captures the excitement created by the group rated by The Beatles, among others, as Britain's finest R&B band.
April 18th, 2004 12:43 PM
UGot2Rollme Angie, what day in August?
Great setlist, except Love Potion no 9! where did that come from! (probably Bill..)
April 18th, 2004 12:50 PM
Angiegirl August 31st, does that give you enough time to save some money? It's my 30th birthday, so I deserve something special .

Great lyrics, aren't they, hehehe:

I took my troubles down to Madam Ruth.
You know, that Gypsy with the gold capped tooth.
She's got a store front down at Thirty Fourth and Vine,
sellin' little bottles of Love Potion Number Nine.
I told her that I was a flop with chicks.
I've been that way since Nineteen Fifty Six.
She looked at my palm and she made a magic sign.
She said, "What you need is Love Potion Number Nine."
She bent down and turned around and gave me a wink.
She said, "I'm gonna make it up right here in the sink."
It smelled like turpentine and looked like India ink.
I held my nose, I closed my eyes, I took a drink.
I didn't know if it was day or night,
I started kissin' ev'ry thing in sight.
But when I kissed a cop down at Thirty Fourth and Vine,
he broke my little bottle of Love Potion Number Nine.
She bent down, turned around and gave me a wink.
She said, "I'm gonna make it up right here in the sink."
It smelled like turpentine and looked like India ink.
I held my nose, I closed my eyes, I took a drink.
I didn't know if it was day or night,
I started kissin' ev'ry thing in sight.
I had so much fun that I'm goin' back again.
I wonder what happened with Love Potion Number Nine.
Love Potion Number Nine.
Love Potion Number Nine.
Love Potion Number Nine.
Love Potion Number Nine.
April 18th, 2004 04:00 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat ok, I'm off to London to get it for you.
April 18th, 2004 04:28 PM
Gazza Blank friggin stare of disbelief

Christ - this would be the earliest live recording of any kind of the Stones..and its taken 41 years to circulate!!!

Someone buy this and tree it!! Come on, JOSH!!!!!! make sure its not Mick that does it again - like he did with the Little Boy Blue 1960 studio tape (but that eventually circulated too)

I'm amazed however that they're able to legally sell it for auction. By doing so, theyre effectively bootlegging as its an unauthorised recording.
April 18th, 2004 05:40 PM
Monkey Woman There's this little disclaimer, of course:

"This recording is offered for sale without copyright, broadcast rights, performers consents, and other reproduction rights. The Buyer must apply to the relevant parties to obtain such clearance and consents as may be
necessary"

But if they think it'll deter dedicated bootleggers...
April 18th, 2004 06:14 PM
stewed & Keefed Say....2000 rocks off members.... £15 each... £30,000
April 19th, 2004 03:05 AM
UGot2Rollme I'm in (as long as we can keep it a secret for Angie's 30th)

I'm sure Mick could even turn Love Potion #9 into a likable tune.
April 19th, 2004 11:09 AM
egon i'm in too. you can even send it to my address and i will wrap it nicely for angie. promised...
April 19th, 2004 12:36 PM
Nasty Habits We wants it! We wants it! It is precious to us!

I'm in. I say Rocks Off buys it.

And the original Clovers version of Love Potion #9 kicks ass, so back off!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
April 19th, 2004 12:58 PM
Sir Stonesalot Can we just bid on the CD? I don't really need the tape.

I'd be willing to contribute either way though...

C'mon JB...kick in...BIG.
April 19th, 2004 01:02 PM
Angiegirl Ah, you guys...
April 19th, 2004 03:30 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat I don't have enough money to get it. So I would like all members to give me $ 100. That should do it.