ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1994 José Luis Velasco
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: On this day... 40 years ago Return to archive
April 17th, 2004 04:41 AM
Monkey Woman 04.17.1964
"The Rolling Stones", the band's very first Long Play album is released with over 100,000 advance copies sold. The LP comes out in the States under the title "England's Newest Hitmakers" on May 30, two days prior to their first American tour. The US version has a slightly different tracklisting, considered more suitable for the American market, featuring the single "Not Fade Away" instead of "Carol." This trend of amended tracklistings, different albums and singles for the various markets of the world would be applied to Stones recordings throughout the Sixties and in several cases later on in their career.

http://www.rollingstones.com/news/
April 17th, 2004 10:13 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Man time flys when your having fun.
April 17th, 2004 02:14 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Man time flys when your having fun.

Hahaha! That's right!
April 18th, 2004 01:05 PM
Monkey Woman I found on Shidoobee that funny little article. Obviously, it's not really an old article, but it's roaringly hilarious!

Original link:
http://www.megastar.co.uk/news/news/2004/04/17/sMEG01MTA4MjE5OTU5NDE.html

Stone me!

April 17, 1964

On this day, April 17, 1964, the Rolling Stones released their first album. MegaStar's beat combo correspondent was there to witness the event...

What's that racket? Urrrgh.

Why can't these rotten pop groups hark back to the tuneful days of old, like that nice Adam Faith or Cliff Richard and the Shadows.

And the Beatles. Those poor, poor Beatles. Working class boys from the north they may be, but by heck, have they got their standards.

Look at them: matching suits and nice, tidy haircuts (if a bit on the long side, mind) and lovely, romantic tunes you can click your fingers too.

But as for this new young rabble, the so-called Rolling Stones. Pah! Kentish men from good families, and with parents who've no doubt sweated and toiled to give them the best educational opportunities and what do they do in return? Drop out and make a god-awful noise to corrupt our kids.

Come on - in the words of these long-haired beatniks' first 45rpm single.

What's worse, it's not even proper beat music which, after early reservations, myself and my good lady wife Marjorie (a Glenn Miller fan par excellence, who does a mean jitterbug I can tell you) rather started to warm to.

Well, who couldn't enjoy a singalong and a foot-tap to that nice Cliff Richard? Such a kind-looking, God-fearing chap. Give him a knighthood one day, we urge you.

But as for "The Stones", as so-called "teen-agers" are calling them, as they slouch around the suburbs and leave their imported "chewing gum" on bus seats.

Well, they don't dress smartly - let alone the same as each other - and a couple of the leery ones look like they'd want to take your daughters out beyond 9pm and ply them with Babycham.

And that singer! What a girl.

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
April 18th, 2004 01:32 PM
LadyJane Great "find" MW.

I was 4 years old when that article was written. Yeah, I know, MOST of you weren't even born .

Astonishing really...when you REALLY think that our beloved Stones have been at it for the length of time that they have.

AND...they are not done yet!!!

Is there any doubt that the Rolling Stones are the Greatest Band of all time???

LJ.