ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1994 José Luis Velasco
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: patti smith on the letterman show Return to archive
April 16th, 2004 02:03 AM
F505 Patti Smith and her band will appear on david letterman airing friday. She will perform Jubilee from her new album Trampin' . A true rock and roll hero......

April 16th, 2004 02:39 AM
UGot2Rollme Patti is a true original - Horses and Easter are her two classics, IMO. Lot's of inspiration from Jagger/Dylan.
I saw her twice in the late 70's in Philly - great shows.
Haven't caught up with her on tour since, but do have her 2-cd anthology - on it she does a great version of Prince's When Doves Cry.
April 16th, 2004 10:02 AM
Gazza Great

That edition of Letterman will be screened in the UK on ITV2 next Monday, for any UK fans who would be interested in it. (we get this show the day after its broadcast in the US, except for the Friday show, which is shown the following Monday)
April 16th, 2004 10:19 AM
Martha Ready to record! Thanks for the Heads Up!

I have a story about Patti:
My sponsor and her Hubby were at a Dylan show in Cincy a few years ago backstage in the office visiting with Al, Bob's tour manager, when Patti Smith came bustin' in to see/speak with Al. She just barged right in and was gabbing at Al a mile a minute while my friends sat there a bit shocked and surprised! Later on when they were all hanging out like they get to on the the side of the stage (lucky fucks!) Patti went right over to chat with Bob when he came out (and NO one is supposed to approach Bob ). However, since it was Patti, Bob was totally cool and happy to see her. :-)

I hear her new album is great. I need to see her perform live one of these days.
April 16th, 2004 10:32 AM
Factory Girl I saw Patti live twice.
The first time, I brought her LP Horses with me and asked a guy who was setting up the stage,"Are you security?".
He replied "No, I'm with Patti." So, I asked him if he could ask Patti if she's sign the LP. He said, "Sure, wait here for me."

He came back in 15 minutes, and happily informed me that the rest of the guys (Lenny Kaye and Jay Dee Dougherty-drummer) have signed the LP also. He was such a great guy, and the rest of the night, every time he'd see me he'd say
"Hi,'Factory Girl'".

Patti's autograph says;" To FG, With Good Wishes, Patti Smith"
April 16th, 2004 04:15 PM
Martha FG I go to go to a show with YOU! Great story!
April 16th, 2004 04:20 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Martha wrote:
Ready to record! Thanks for the Heads Up!

I have a story about Patti:
My sponsor and her Hubby were at a Dylan show in Cincy a few years ago backstage in the office visiting with Al, Bob's tour manager, when Patti Smith came bustin' in to see/speak with Al. She just barged right in and was gabbing at Al a mile a minute while my friends sat there a bit shocked and surprised! Later on when they were all hanging out like they get to on the the side of the stage (lucky fucks!) Patti went right over to chat with Bob when he came out (and NO one is supposed to approach Bob ). However, since it was Patti, Bob was totally cool and happy to see her. :-)

I hear her new album is great. I need to see her perform live one of these days.

Martha, do you have the Smith/Dylan show from 13-Dec-95? PM me...
April 17th, 2004 11:07 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Martha wrote:
Patti went right over to chat with Bob when he came out (and NO one is supposed to approach Bob ). However, since it was Patti, Bob was totally cool and happy to see her. :-

Yeah. I read somewhere a few years ago that Bob was like that....no eye contact rules and all that. Well to me that's bullshit. I mean security is one thing, delusions are another. As much as I like Bob, I don't understand why he's allowed himself to think like that.
April 17th, 2004 11:24 AM
Sir Stonesalot No, you don't get it TTM. It's not delusion...it's superstition. Neil Young gets like that too.

Artists like those guys...they get in a certain place mentally before they go on. Unexpected distractions can "chase the spook" outta them. They are not like that all the time either...it depends on the material that they are gonna present. Depends on how far inward they gotta go for the music to have the spook, y'know?

It also depends on how fucked up they are before they go on too....
April 17th, 2004 11:33 AM
Martha
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Yeah. I read somewhere a few years ago that Bob was like that....no eye contact rules and all that. Well to me that's bullshit. I mean security is one thing, delusions are another. As much as I like Bob, I don't understand why he's allowed himself to think like that.

Hey 10K Motels,

You know I used to think when performers are not interactive and "available" to their fans that they were weird too. But the more I've watched Bob I've come to realize that he just isn't comfortable with that particular area of his celebrity, if you will. He is not outgoing or socially adept in terms of interacting with the fans (fanatics), it isn't what he's comfortable with AT all. I chalk up his taking this stance as just his way of protecting himself. The fact that he IS Bob Dylan, prolly doesn't help with what he has to deal with everyday. Some performers are very shy and not comfortable interacting with their fans, Jeff Beck comes to mind for one. I can't fault someone for being who they are.

He just doesn't want to be fucked with. I can relate.

April 17th, 2004 11:48 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
No, you don't get it TTM.

Oh well. So what's new?

I just seem to have the best luck dealing with reality by hibernating into one of my own personal philosophies..."If you want the truth, believe the worst, the rest is bonus".

April 17th, 2004 11:58 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Martha wrote:
The fact that he IS Bob Dylan, ............

Well that IS a fact. Bob is Bob, Stones is Stones. I'm just sad that it couldn't have been different. Paradise should never have been lost. LOL. But....at least this way it's tolerable. Rock n Roll!!!!!!!!!!!!
April 17th, 2004 12:20 PM
Sir Stonesalot Bob is Bob, Stones is Stones...

The Stones seem much more fan friendly than Bob. Except for Jagger, who has the rep as being a bit of a prima donna, most of the guys seem pretty willing to sign things, pose for pics, take a piss with ya, stuff like that.
April 17th, 2004 06:13 PM
Factory Girl Jagger is very willing to sign things.
April 17th, 2004 06:51 PM
F505 I just wanna say that Patti, in spite of Bob and Mick, is very willing to communicate with her fans. I receive a personal written newsletter on regular basis:

For example:

The band and i spent the evening working on new
songs and getting our equipment in order for our
appearance on david letterman. airing friday.
cause for excitement and trepidation. tho i am
optimistic i will remember the lyrics to jubilee.
certainly dave will not notice the difference.
we are posting the lyrics so anyone can keep an eye
on my progress or lack of it.

a last word. today marks the passing of joey ramone.
he was really a nice person. so may we give him
a good thought and a happy hey ho...

i must be off, time to don my boots and greatcoat
and set out to retrieve my copy of uncle wiggley's
airship that i foolishly left in a phone booth on the
other side of town.

all good wishes
patti smith

[Edited by F505]
April 17th, 2004 06:54 PM
F505 BTW: How was Patti on the Letterman show??????
Just very curious....
April 19th, 2004 10:24 AM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:
BTW: How was Patti on the Letterman show??????
Just very curious....

She did one song which was O.K..
April 19th, 2004 10:30 AM
F505 thx jb I expected this answer