ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1994 José Luis Velasco
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Joe Strummer Documentary (nsc) Return to archive
April 11th, 2004 09:01 AM
Ten Thousand Motels NYC Premiere Set For Strummer Documentary

The Joe Strummer documentary "Let's Rock Again!" will receive its world premiere next month at New York's Tribeca Film Festival. Produced by Strummer and longtime friend Dick Rude, the one-hour film was shot over the 18 months leading up to the late-Clash frontman's untimely December 2002 death.

"It has been my blessing to share with the world an intimate portrait of such a passionate and humble man," Rude says. "Joe was a true hero. His music changed people's lives. His love affected me profoundly. I am proud of the story he has allowed me to tell, but I would trade it all in a heartbeat to have him back."

"Let's Rock Again!" opens with a montage of Clash-era footage of Strummer before ultimately settling into his stint fronting the Mescaleros. The film includes everything from performance footage to interviews with the subject, and spotlights public reaction to Strummer ranging from fanatical in Japan to indifferent in the United States.

The documentary, which does not yet have a distributor, will screen twice at the Tribeca Film Festival: May 7 at 9:45 p.m. and the next day at 11:30 p.m.

Rude wrote and starred in 1987's "Straight to Hell," which featured a cast that included Strummer and Courtney Love. The film also featured appearances by Grace Jones, Elvis Costello, his then-wife Cait O'Riordan and her Pogues bandmates Shane MacGowan and Spider Stacy.

Rude has also appeared in the films "Roadside Prophets," "Sid and Nancy" (to which Strummer contributed music) and "Repo Man."

In related news, Strummer's family and friends are launching the Strummerville charitable foundation for the promotion of new music. "The aim of Strummerville is to provide aid to groups and organizations to fund the purchase of musical instruments, studio and rehearsal time; to enable the production of music by creative young people who would otherwise be prevented from doing so simply because they lack the necessary funds," according to Strummer's official Web site.
-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.
Copyright 2004 Billboard
April 11th, 2004 06:03 PM
jend info on the film and getting tickets

April 12th, 2004 03:41 PM
Cardinal Fang On or about Aug 30, 2001, your's truly was filmed in San Francisco for about 10 minutes talking to Joe Strummer about all sorts of stuff. I always wondered what would happen to that footage ? I've always regretted not bringing my own video camera because I don't have any footage of that for my own collection. I did get pictures and tons of autographs.

MAYBE (maybe ?)they might use a second or two of that footage in the documentary ? My friend's Fleabit Peanut Monkey and SirStonesalot both knew about 8 hours before I actually was going to meet Joe that I was "going to get to meet Joe". So I asked both of them, "know's your chance. Do you guy's have any questions that you want me to ask Joe Strummer cause I'll do it on your behave's"

FPM didn't get back to me fast enough. SirStonesalot did and had me ask a bunch of his questions. One I remember was "Ska or Reggae ?".

Hey Marc ! You realize there is a very real "possibility" that they MIGHT use the footage of me and Joe talking about one of YOUR questions ?!?! How fucking cool what that be ?

GET EXCITED !!!

Later, The Mayor of Garageland
April 13th, 2004 04:00 PM
Dead Flower Wow Cardy I have always wondered what it would be like to hang witchya. This could be the closest thing! I hope they use yer footage with Joe.