ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R.I.P. Doris Richards
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Neil Young Zuma & Stars 'N Bars (NSC) Return to archive
18th April 2007 11:37 PM
Egbert I picked these up a couple weeks ago at J&R for the ridiculously low price of $6.99 each and have been listening to them pretty much non-stop since. Zuma is very good - I had only previously heard Cortez, but Danger Bird, Pardon My Heart, and Barstool are new favorites - love the gently distorted guitar part in Pardon My Heart, which has a similar mellow stoned-out vibe as Expecting To Fly. Danger Bird is heavy and depressing but fitting music for these cold rainy days.

Stars 'N Bars I would rate below Zuma but is an enjoyable listen nonetheless - Like A Hurricane, Star Of Bethlehem, Will To Love stand out and Homegrown is as silly as the title would suggest. The remastered sound on S 'N B is superior to the flat Zuma.

Anyone else dig these 2?
18th April 2007 11:43 PM
Mel Belli Neil's been reissuing his back catalog recently, and I can see why he wasn't in such a hurry. Those albums are spotty at best, imo.
19th April 2007 12:04 AM
Chuck Homegrown's alright with me
19th April 2007 12:22 AM
mojoman a couple of great disks. still waiting for the time fades away release on cd..........
19th April 2007 12:57 AM
pdog I need to get Zuma, Stars and Bars is okay... I was really happy when On The Beach was released on CD.
19th April 2007 04:45 PM
Gazza
quote:
Egbert wrote:
I picked these up a couple weeks ago at J&R for the ridiculously low price of $6.99 each and have been listening to them pretty much non-stop since. Zuma is very good - I had only previously heard Cortez, but Danger Bird, Pardon My Heart, and Barstool are new favorites - love the gently distorted guitar part in Pardon My Heart, which has a similar mellow stoned-out vibe as Expecting To Fly. Danger Bird is heavy and depressing but fitting music for these cold rainy days.

Stars 'N Bars I would rate below Zuma but is an enjoyable listen nonetheless - Like A Hurricane, Star Of Bethlehem, Will To Love stand out and Homegrown is as silly as the title would suggest. The remastered sound on S 'N B is superior to the flat Zuma.

Anyone else dig these 2?

Most definitely. That run of mid 70's albums is the dog's bollocks. Especially 'Tonights the Night', which is for me the greatest album of his career.

I'm not the only NY fan who remains baffled at the non-release on CD of "Time Fades Away"
19th April 2007 05:01 PM
charlotte Homegrown is about a beautiful waitress who served Neil and Crazy Horse at a Charlotte,NC restaurant California Dreamin, I was there after the show...He wrote the song that night and played it in Columbia the following night on music sheets
19th April 2007 05:09 PM
Saint Sway I think Zuma is one of his best. I just love the vibe and weariness of that one.
19th April 2007 05:37 PM
texile i have a confession:
i love this man and his music -
ever since i heard rust never sleeps at 13,
he has been one of my musical icons, his guitar playing influencing my own, his beautiful lyrical and melodic sensibilities inspiring and comforting me..
i used to pick up albums at flea markets when i was a kid - that's hw i amassed my musical library.
that was a long-winded way of setting up the fact that i have never owned a copy or heard a note of tonight's the night.
is it as great as it's legend?
19th April 2007 06:00 PM
Gazza It's better, but it's not what could be described as a conventionally easy listen at times.

I presume you're aware of the story and surroundings behind the songs, it certainly helps to appreciate the rawness of the recordings - many of the songs were cut one after the other on one night.

And of course, there is a notable Stones link on the album, with 'Borrowed Tune' containing the line "I'm singing this borrowed tune/I took from the Rolling Stones/ Alone in this empty room/ too wasted to write my own"

The melody of the song is the same as "Lady Jane"
19th April 2007 06:16 PM
texile
quote:
Gazza wrote:
It's better, but it's not what could be described as a conventionally easy listen at times.

I presume you're aware of the story and surroundings behind the songs, it certainly helps to appreciate the rawness of the recordings - many of the songs were cut one after the other on one night.

And of course, there is a notable Stones link on the album, with 'Borrowed Tune' containing the line "I'm singing this borrowed tune/I took from the Rolling Stones/ Alone in this empty room/ too wasted to write my own"

The melody of the song is the same as "Lady Jane"

yes, i know the story behind the sessions and that's what has always intrigued me.....but it also seemed too deep and impenetrable to listen to casually..and i've always been a fairly lazy listener.
i guess it was always like exile to me -
in my discovery of young (like the stones), i would scan the song titles and found nothing familiar, so i just never got around to aquiring it...
it was the last stones album i got, but exile became a musical cornerstone in my life -
so maybe i will experience a similar epiphany though tonight's the night.
i'll check it out.
funnily enough, last night i just read a chapter on the lp in a book called faking it, about the concept of authenticity in music..
and the author writes of tonight's the night as if it were some kind of visceral experience.
perhaps it's time to take the plunge into something dark and mysterious.

19th April 2007 09:17 PM
Egbert
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Most definitely. That run of mid 70's albums is the dog's bollocks. Especially 'Tonights the Night', which is for me the greatest album of his career.

I'm not the only NY fan who remains baffled at the non-release on CD of "Time Fades Away"

TNT is in my top 3 NY albums, along with Everybody Knows and Goldrush - Albuquerque being an unheralded favorite.
19th April 2007 09:28 PM
Egbert
quote:
charlotte wrote:
Homegrown is about a beautiful waitress who served Neil and Crazy Horse at a Charlotte,NC restaurant California Dreamin, I was there after the show...He wrote the song that night and played it in Columbia the following night on music sheets

Could she also be the "Carolina Queen" in Bite The Bullet?
20th April 2007 05:42 AM
charlotte BITE THE BULLET - NEIL YOUNG
----------------------------

Version 1:
A C G F A D A
There's a bar hall queen in Charlotte town (bite the bullet)
A C F G A D A
I'd sure like to meet her when the sun goes down (bite the bullet)
A C G F A D A
I swear her hair is midnight black (bite the bullet)
A C F G A D A
And I can't wait till I get back (bite the bullet)

D A E
Carolina queen
D A F
She's a walking love machine
A E D
I'd like to make her scream
A D A
When I bite the bullet.

(etc.)

e---------
B---------
G--------- A D A (repeat)
D---------
A------0h2 / / / / / (it's not straight quarter-notes, but hard to
E--0h2---- do in ASCII - try to get the rhythm right.)

I play this in the intro and every time for "bite the bullet".
and I start each verse with the hammer-ons.

Version 2:
Song is 4/4 Time
| x x | = one measure, 2 beats per chord, x is chord name
| A C | = 2 beats of A, 2 beats of C
| A .. | = 4 beats of A
| .. .. | = 4 beats of last chord in previous measure
| D A E | = 3/8th D, 3/8th A, 1/4 E

Verse: | A C | G F | A .. | D A |
| A C | F G | A .. | A A |

Chorus: |D A E | .. .. | D A F | .. .. | A E D | .. .. |

Bite the Bullet, Bite the Bullet: | A .. | D A | A .. | D A |

[Verse 1]
There's a bar hall queen down in Charlotte town. (Bite the Bullet)
I'd sure like to see her when the sun goes down. (Bite the Bullet)
I swear her hair was midnight black. (Bite the Bullet)
And I can't wait 'til I get back. (Bite the Bullet)

[Chorus]
Carolina Queen.
She's a walking love machine.
I like to make her scream.
When I bite the bullet.
Bite the bullet.

[Verse 2]
Born and raised at the top of the south. (Bite the Bullet)
You know she knows what it's all about. (Bite the Bullet)
Good old boys are coming from miles around. (Bite the Bullet)
Wanna watch that bullet lay them down. (Bite the Bullet)

[Chorus]

There's a bar hall queen down in Charlotte town
I'd sure like to see her when the sun goes down
Good old boys are coming from miles around
Wanna watch that bullet lay 'em down

[Chorus]
20th April 2007 07:22 AM
corgi37 Cant get into most ot Tonights the night. Over here, Stars n Bars is almost impossible to get.
Ragged Glory is my fave NY album.

Man, he's looking pretty old in the header pic.
20th April 2007 09:53 AM
Gazza
quote:
Egbert wrote:

TNT is in my top 3 NY albums, along with Everybody Knows and Goldrush - Albuquerque being an unheralded favorite.

"Albuquerque" is indeed a sleeping giant of a song on Tonights The Night. "Lookout Joe" is the one for me on that record that really should be better known, though.
20th April 2007 10:32 AM
fireontheplatter i have never heard either one of those cds.
i would think i would have by now because i like neil young.
i listened to everybody knows this is nowhere and rust never sleeps last night.
very good
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)