ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R.I.P. Doris Richards
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Monkees Appreciation Thread Return to archive
18th April 2007 03:51 AM
Brian Jones Girl HA I did it!

Wonder how long it will be before Voodoo takes this one down...
18th April 2007 04:18 AM
egon
18th April 2007 04:29 AM
Zack Last Train to Clarksville, I'm A Believer, Pleasant Valley Sunday, Steppin' Stone, Daydream Believer, Listen to the Band . . . great songs all. Hell, at least they all sang.

Only Roger McGuinn played on the Byrds' Mr. Tambourine Man, you know. They got in the Rock and Roll hall, which is a joke anyway, and therefore appropriate for the Monks.

And didn't you just love the Davey Jones episode of the Brady Bunch? "Girl, look what you've done to me . . . "
18th April 2007 07:20 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Brian Jones Girl wrote:
HA I did it!

Wonder how long it will be before Voodoo takes this one down...

Well, definitively and unfortunately there are worse stuff up now at the board so please feel free to appreciate the clowns enjoy it!
18th April 2007 07:53 AM
LadyJane Hey...watch out.
The Monkee were MY band at one time.
First album EVER was a Monkees album. I think I was 7 years old.

I missed their 66/67 concert in Buffalo as it sold out. Plus my Parents were NOT allowing a 6-7 year old to attend. I was so mad.

Opening act??? Ready for this???

JIMI HENDRIX!!!!!!!!

LJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]
18th April 2007 09:14 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Opening act??? Ready for this???

JIMI HENDRIX!!!!!!!!

LOL of course I know that and not just that I have posted pictures of Jimi with the Monkees previously here. Here again for your pleasure

The band was so pissed with this, sometimes they played just a few songs set, I think the last gig was a two-song set and they left the stage.
18th April 2007 09:16 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Clowns can be mixed with music genius, here's another example

18th April 2007 09:17 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
18th April 2007 10:49 AM
ExileInLA I have been fighting the good fight FOR the Monkees since the late 90's when all these boy "bands" started popping up everywhere.

Yes, the Monkees were a studio-assembled act.
No, they didn't play their instruments that well.
BUT!
They had great songs. The songs were crafted by the likes of Neil Diamond and (mostly) Boyce and Hart. Are you kidding me? These are great writers.
AND
Mike Nesmith isn't really a talent to be sniveled at. He is a musician first and decent in his own right.

so, shoot me now for being a fan of the teeny-bopper Monkees movement, but you have to admit they had great songs (until they started to take themselves way to seriously and think that they actually WERE musicians).
18th April 2007 11:21 AM
Starbuck

* Beatle John Lennon, to Monkee Mike Nesmith, 1967: "I think you're the greatest comic talents since the Marx Brothers. I've never missed one of your programs."
* Monkee Micky Dolenz, 1967: "The Beatles? Wow!"
* Beatle Paul McCartney, 1967: "I like their music a lot...and you know, their personalities. I watch their tv show and it is good."
* Monkee Davy Jones, 1967: "I guess you'd say, I really dig the Beatles. I have all their albums and once I hitch-hiked from San Francisco to New York just to see them appear--I spent all my money on that trip."
* Beatle John Lennon, 1967: "The Mungeese is a windowfool groove!"
* Monkee Peter Tork, 1967: "The Beatles intrigued me right off the bat. They're making pop music what I always thought it should be."
* Beatle Ringo Starr, 1967: "It's the combining of their sound with their jumping around and all that which makes 'em so popular with the kids, I guess. With me, too."
* Monkee Mike Nesmith, 1967: "The Beatles really gave something to the kids...something they enjoy, something somehow even more important than that. That's what I want to do, too.
* Beatle George Harrison, 1967: "There was a place in the pop scene just crying out for them and they came along and made the most of it."
* Monkee Mike Nesmith, 1967: "All of us dig the Beatles, although we've never set out to copy them. For us and everyone they are the greatest and always will be. But we had to start somewhere."
* Beatle Ringo Starr, 1967: "They're not really just copies of us, now, are they? The Monkees have a fine way of their own, you know?"
* Monkee Micky Dolenz, 1967: "The Beatles are it! They can't be topped! Meeting Paul was like a dream come true. He's a real groovy guy -- so is his moustache. I thought that one day I might grow one like it."
* Beatle Paul McCartney, on the Monkees, 1967: "I'm sure that the Monkees are going to live up to a lot of things many people didn't expect."
* Monkee Peter Tork, 1967: "There's a great new pop culture, part of a social revolution. And the Beatles, are into it...maybe one of the most important parts of it."
* Beatle George Harrison, on the Monkees, 1967: "The Monkees are still finding out who they are, and they seem to be improving as performers each time I see them. When they've got it all sorted out, they may be the greatest."
* Monkee Davy Jones, about the Beatles, 1966: "They're the greatest. What can I tell you? If we can only be one-quarter as good...or maybe a tenth?"
* Beatle John Lennon, on the Monkees, 1967: "Monkees? They've got their own scene, and I won't send them down for it. You try a weekly television show and see if you can manage one half as good!"

18th April 2007 12:29 PM
Saint Sway you'd have to flip a coin to decide who's gayer the Beatles or the Monkees
18th April 2007 02:25 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
you'd have to flip a coin to decide who's gayer the Beatles or the Monkees

And who was YOUR favorite Monkee Saint Sway???
18th April 2007 02:31 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

And who was YOUR favorite Monkee Saint Sway???

George.

Curious George.
18th April 2007 02:50 PM
monkey_man Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
18th April 2007 04:09 PM
pdog I like The Monkees, I have no problem with the music, and i think the show was pretty damn funny.
No ne can take my opinion away, and it's always my correct opinion. I'm 100% correct in knowing what I like.
I value myself.
18th April 2007 05:58 PM
gimmekeef This is a true story.In Grade 7 I won a debate..me against my whole class...Who was best band Stones or Monkees....Once I brought out the Time magazine stuff about Neil Diamond writing and playing most of their songs it was all over..I won...40 yrs later..I'm still winnin with the boys!
18th April 2007 06:41 PM
BabiKeef The Monkees!
18th April 2007 06:45 PM
Paranoid_Android Mike Nesmith was visionary...not only did he inherit 50 million dollars from his mom (who as we all know invented LIQUID PAPER)...but set up a philanthropy and think tank foundation w/ another 50 million smackers to help solve world issues that actually can be solved...(does that make sense?)

He also started a type of music/film/video hybrid TV show on Nickelodeon...which was bought out and renamed MTV...we all know how great a medium MTV was from 1981-1982 1/2...or roughly the first 18 months...thats when it just turned to crap (you all know the rest).

Nesmith was also the first president of ( i paraphrase the actual name here) Music and Video Association...he was the first to receive a grammy for best video , Elephant Parts, a montage of loosely related videos...anyway...Nesmith was the real deal who often spoke out against musical segragation...was publicly vocal about the racial musical dividers...the term Black music was very common then and he was stated to be appalled by the term and it's implications...before rap/hip-hop was a genre in itself.

He came from Texas where a lot of Black music was termed The Devil's music...and where it was against the law in many, if not all areas, to have interracial dancing...

He was the Cool Monkey...The quiet one...The equivelent of George Harrison...(yes, I said it!!) allowed 1 or 2 cuts per album...often in the background of the creative process to play what was written.

BTW...I LOVED THE MONKEYS!!!
18th April 2007 07:10 PM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

Are you familiar with the term ' beard ' ?!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

18th April 2007 07:51 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
you'd have to flip a coin to decide who's gayer the Beatles or the Monkees

So what the fuck is wrong being gay? I'm not, but that is so fucking imature, it's like having a mind like the KKK in the 60's by calling blacks niggers!
18th April 2007 08:46 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I agree with you, to use a sex preference, a religion or race as an insult is really low and primitive even as a joke. Sorry to say it, no pun intended.

Here we have almost all sexual preferences, a lot or religions and races so please show some respect, thanks in advance
19th April 2007 04:22 AM
Brian Jones Girl
quote:

The Monkees!

My guilty pleasure.

quote:

so please show some respect, thanks in advance

Sure, but there's still not alot of respect for (even closet) fans of The Monkees... not just here at ROCKS OFF but also in general. lol
19th April 2007 09:50 AM
Highwire Rob Word on the street is that the Monkees and the Kids from Caper are planning a hostile takeover of this board!
19th April 2007 10:58 AM
glencar I have the 1st 3 Monkees albums. They suck like shit.
19th April 2007 05:49 PM
Brian Jones Girl
quote:
glencar wrote:
I have the 1st 3 Monkees albums. They suck like shit.

lol if they suck like shit then why do you own them?
19th April 2007 05:51 PM
glencar Inherited them.
19th April 2007 06:11 PM
BabiKeef
quote:
Brian Jones Girl wrote:

My guilty pleasure.

Sure, but there's still not alot of respect for (even closet) fans of The Monkees... not just here at ROCKS OFF but also in general. lol

I know right!
19th April 2007 11:47 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Brian Jones Girl wrote:

lol if they suck like shit then why do you own them?

Let me guess

1.- He's trying to sell them but nobody in the entire world dare to buy such a crap.
2.- He does not dare to send them to the trash because someone can see them in the can trash.
3.- He says "They suck like shit" but he loves them.
4.- All of the above.
5.- None of the above.
6.- The last two, answers 4 and 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)