ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R.I.P. Doris Richards
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Sax Player Swings the Stones": Review of Tim Ries' show Return to archive
16th April 2007 12:51 PM
Mel Belli Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pennsylvania)

April 16, 2007

SAX PLAYER SWINGS THE STONES

By Rick Nowlin

Ever wonder how Rolling Stones songs would sound in a jazz context?

Thanks to Stones backup saxophonist Tim Ries, who switched between tenor and soprano, the audience at the Manchester Craftsmen's Guild got a chance to find out Saturday night.

Truth be told, they sounded pretty good -- not a clunker among the repertoire -- and the band was first-rate as well.

Perhaps not surprisingly, the "Rolling Stones Project" opened with the classic "Satisfaction," Ries starting out on piano and later playing the theme on tenor but -- as jazz arrangements often do -- substituting chords just to spice things up a bit. "Gimme Shelter" contained all kinds of colors, with a rubato, a cappella opening from bassist Thomas Bramerie and a languid solo from trombonist and fellow Stones band member Michael Davis, who throughout the evening displayed about as much range on his horn as Ries's tenor.

Ries and company switched up "Angie" into Indian-influenced 15/8 meter -- that version will be included on an upcoming fall release of Ries-inspired world-beat arrangements of Stones music -- that slightly recalled Spyro Gyra and allowed drummer Clarence Penn to stretch out a bit.

Guest vocalist Bernard Fowler nearly stole the show with dramatic renditions of several songs.

Arguably the best of them was a swing, then shuffle rendition of "Honky Tonk Woman," with Fowler actually harking back to the Stones' confessed roots in Chicago blues. Guitarist Ben Monder contributed an amazing solo comprising almost exclusively chords.

Fowler also carried "Ruby Tuesday," accompanied only by Monder and Ries, on soprano; and "Wild Horses."

I especially enjoyed the heretofore obscure, Keith Richards-penned, midtempo "Baby, Break It Down," delivered by Fowler and with Ries adding background vocals.

The closing number was a funk-flavored untitled Ries original that nevertheless recalled the Crusaders, what with the frontline of Ries and Davis at one point trading off toward the end.

The encore offered a finger-style classical opening courtesy of Monder and became "Paint It Black" in 7/8 meter.

My only complaint was the overall sound -- it seemed that Penn overpowered everyone else, especially Monder, at times.
16th April 2007 01:01 PM
Saint Sway many of the horn section afficianado's on Shidoobee say that the Kent Smith shows with blow the Tim Reis shows away.
16th April 2007 06:13 PM
fireontheplatter this show would probably put me to sleep...but i would go anyway if it was in my town.
16th April 2007 06:39 PM
Mel Belli Interesting choice to play "Baby Break It Down." Notice the reviewer says "Keith-penned." Did the players mention that onstage, or does the writer own Voodoo Brew/Stew?
17th April 2007 11:13 AM
mmdog
That gig came about, from the Stones trip to Pittsburgh in '05. Watts and Ries went to a jazz show at the Manchester Guild, and Ries had to get up on stage and take the place of somebody who was taken away in an ambulance.
17th April 2007 11:17 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
this show would probably put me to sleep...

I've heard that Michael Davies' trumpet renditions of Stones songs is transcendant and not to be missed
17th April 2007 10:29 PM
Bruno
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Interesting choice to play "Baby Break It Down." Notice the reviewer says "Keith-penned." Did the players mention that onstage, or does the writer own Voodoo Brew/Stew?

Itīs nice to see they value it, one of the best songs in VL IMO. Nice chorus and Ronnieīs work is so beautiful. It is Mickīs, isnīt it?

It is also a good tune to play in the acoustic guitar.
17th April 2007 11:12 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Bruno wrote:

Itīs nice to see they value it, one of the best songs in VL IMO. Nice chorus and Ronnieīs work is so beautiful. It is Mickīs, isnīt it?

It is also a good tune to play in the acoustic guitar.

Primarily a Keith song. Mick filled out the verse lyrics, streamlined the melody.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)