ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R.I.P. Doris Richards
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones .... Last of the Real Hippies? Return to archive Page: 1 2
15th April 2007 02:24 PM
Ten Thousand Motels LOL.
15th April 2007 02:27 PM
Bloozehound No
15th April 2007 02:28 PM
fireontheplatter yes
15th April 2007 02:29 PM
pdog Hippes turned into new wavers, then evolved into ravers and now emo is the new hippie.
They're all are lame, and please feel free to add any other lame groups to this list.
IMO, Stones were never hippies. I guess it may depend on what your definition if a hippie is...
15th April 2007 02:30 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
yes

have you met, Ianbillian ?
15th April 2007 02:31 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

have you met, Ianbillian ?

no i have not...what am i missing?
15th April 2007 02:35 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
pdog wrote:
Hippes turned into new wavers, then evolved into ravers and now emo is the new hippie.
They're all are lame, and please feel free to add any other lame groups to this list.
IMO, Stones were never hippies. I guess it may depend on what your definition if a hippie is...

i always thought dead heads to be true hippies...with all that patruly smelling stuff and their grilled cheeses and pease signs and rag clothes and their duuuuuudes.
not that there is anything wrong with that.

i agree....i don't consider myself one of these at all, and well if i am....i couldn't care less.
15th April 2007 02:40 PM
pdog
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

i always thought dead heads to be true hippies...with all that patruly smelling stuff and their grilled cheeses and pease signs and rag clothes and their duuuuuudes.
not that there is anything wrong with that.

i agree....i don't consider myself one of these at all, and well if i am....i couldn't care less.

Dead heads i met in the 80's and 90's where nuerotic rich kids slumming it to piss off their parents before they went to college and to bulid up some sort rebellious past to impress peole throghout life. Not all but alot...
15th April 2007 02:44 PM
Bloozehound

Wootcha talkin' bout, Willis ?!
15th April 2007 02:48 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
pdog wrote:

Dead heads i met in the 80's and 90's where nuerotic rich kids slumming it to piss off their parents before they went to college and to bulid up some sort rebellious past to impress peole throghout life. Not all but alot...

for the longest time i couldn't stand the dead because everyone in my town here thought that gerry was god....i deliberatly didn't listen to their music and wanted nothing to do with the people.
then one day i was in boulder, co and at the boulder theater they had a primier screeening of a new grateful dead concert with big screen and big sound. i went to it and i was like...hmmm, these guys are pretty good.
it is all pretty much heady music to me, but they did it well.
they had a boring stage presense...but very good musicians.
i got a chance to see them 3 times.
15th April 2007 03:04 PM
Bloozehound

Groovy

The Stones, man!
15th April 2007 03:06 PM
Highwire Rob HIPPY?

15th April 2007 03:11 PM
fireontheplatter i guess i always associated the word with being somewhat dirty as in appearence and cigaretts and petruly and living on the road...
but, what the fuck do i know.
refresh my memory.
15th April 2007 03:24 PM
Bloozehound

OHHH, dem Stones was hippies, man
15th April 2007 03:41 PM
Highwire Rob Where the hell is wikipedia boy?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippie

PEACE, LOVE AND UNDERSTANDING?

15th April 2007 04:12 PM
Poison Dart The Stones were never hippies.

Hippies don't charge their fans $400 for the honor of seeing them in concert.

PS: I hate hippies.
15th April 2007 04:13 PM
Bloozehound

Farrr out!

Them hippies is on the wikipedia too

Heck, they deserve an appreciation thread
15th April 2007 05:15 PM
mac_daddy patchuli = a pleasant scent available as incense.

jerry = jerome garcia, one of the finest, most original guitarst rock has seen and the spiritual leader of the grateful dead (which had little or no resemblance to the act that has been touring as "the dead" for several years)...

_____

i think the stones did their hippy thing up through the mid 70s, but they also had the gypsy/outlaw thing going on, so they werent true-blue hippies, as they had affected the other influences as well.

they also never really bought into psychadelia (save for the satnic majesty experiment), and they never jerked around with those yogis and eastern philosophy. musically, they did the sitar thing (and revisited the morroccan thing again with c drift), save for brian, who was the biggest hippy in the band in terms of outside influences (music and art), but he was WAY too materialistic and mod to be classified as a hippy...

and hell, brian and keef and mick got all that sh*t from anita, anyway, so it was kind of second-hand and removed...

ymmv.

ps - thanks for the young ones montage - i used to love that show (it used to run on mtv)

pss - and what is with the mullets representing like they are hippies? that is an insult to all hippies, young and old. mullets are symptomatic of white trash, and NOTHING else. in fact, if you wore a mullet, you were never a hippy.

edited for spelling
[Edited by mac_daddy]
15th April 2007 05:43 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
patchuli = a pleasant scent available as incense.

jerry = jerome garcia, one of the finest, most original guitarst rock has seen and the spiritual leader of the grateful dead (which had little or no resemblance to the act that has been touring as "the dead" for several years)...

_____

i think the stones did their hippy thing up through the mid 70s, but they also had the gypsy/outlaw thing going on, so they werent true-blue hippies, as they had affected the other influences as well.

they also never really bought into psychadelia (save for the satnic majesty experiment), and they never jerked around with those yogis and eastern philosophy. musically, they did the sitar thing (and revisited the morroccan thing again with c drift), save for brian, who was the biggest hippy in the band in terms of outside influences (music and art), but he was WAY too materialistic and mod to be classified as a hippy...

and hell, brian and keef and mick got all that sh*t from anita, anyway, so it was kind of second-hand and removed...

ymmv.

ps - thanks for the young ones montage - i used to love that show (it used to run on mtv)

pss - and what is with the mullets representing like they are hippies? that is an insult to all hippies, young and old. mullets are symptomatic of white trash, and NOTHING else. in fact, if you wore a mullet, you were never a hippy.

edited for spelling
[Edited by mac_daddy]

well said
15th April 2007 06:42 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
patchuli = a pleasant scent available as incense.

_____

ymmv.

edited for spelling
[Edited by mac_daddy]

Ay Ay, Captain !

[Edited by Bloozehound]
15th April 2007 06:48 PM
stonedinaustralia hippies!! - get the fuck out of here

rather, in the 60's at least, they were part of English (or is that British) bohemian/ romantic tradition which thrived in english art schools... and in many ways that is what they remain except they have learnt and accepted the art of making huge amounts of money out of the trashing of their own legacy and they're not even dead yet
15th April 2007 09:15 PM
CraigP They were never hippies. Are you serious???

PDOG- you are wrong about the current scene being the "emo kids" The closest people to the hippies are the current classic punk fans who go to shows like myself.
You will see me often at Boston punk shows... Classics like the Subhumans, Toxic Narcotic, Reagan Youth, Conflict, The Freeze...

In Cambridge Mass, near Havard Squre are where most of the REAL worldwide famous punk bands hit alot while on tour beacuse of Boston's thriving hardcore punk scene.

They are the current hippies, except not as naieve any of those whacked out-of-their-heads on stupid shit like LSD while fooling themselves, buying into the whole "it's a revolution" dillusion.
[Edited by CraigP]
15th April 2007 11:59 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
CraigP wrote:
not as naieve any of those whacked out-of-their-heads on stupid shit like LSD while fooling themselves, buying into the whole "it's a revolution" dillusion.

You ever actually try any good acid, man?
15th April 2007 11:59 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
CraigP wrote:
not as naieve any of those whacked out-of-their-heads on stupid shit like LSD while fooling themselves, buying into the whole "it's a revolution" dillusion.

You ever actually try any good acid, man?
16th April 2007 12:51 AM
Bloozehound The Nays have it, that settles that, the Stones weren't hippies

16th April 2007 05:53 AM
CraigP Yes, I have done LSD-25 made by a local chemist in my region of the U.S., non "recreationally" mind you, more as an attempt to expand my psychic horizons, just like the origional hippies did...

I did feel renewed, a new perspective, in a sense... But that "enlightenment" along with the origional hippie ideals faded, back into shuffle of reality of day to day life.

Ever take it and hear all of the subliminal jokes on Satanic Majesties? I was laughing at some points of the album. I beleive I understood their psyche while they were playing the tracks that made Satanic Majesties. I felt how the Stones were feeling at the time.

S.M. is an ingenious work as well as one of the most unique albums of the 20th century.

Don't get me wrong, the hippie ideals may have worked, had they not have become drug addicts and an exploited major fashion/marketing SELLOUT... Then halloween costumes.

Punk music, same thing, yet still thrives in the underground. And I don't mean The Sex Pistols or Ramones "punk", I'm speaking of bands on independent record labels (still touring worldwide, underground) who aren't puppets of major corporations like E.M.I. and their Malcom McLaren, like the Pistols were.

16th April 2007 05:57 AM
CraigP The Stones were the origional punks.
"Tell your mum's I said thanks". "We are not old men... don't want your petty morals"...etc.

------Not hippies.
16th April 2007 10:09 AM
corgi37 Stones are bohemians.
16th April 2007 10:44 AM
LastChild
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Stones are bohemians.

you beat me to it.
16th April 2007 10:48 AM
mojoman
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Stones are bohemians.

and rich
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)