ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R.I.P. Doris Richards
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stooges in New York Return to archive
11th April 2007 11:05 PM
Mel Belli This is actually a pretty amazing photograph, despite the prevalance of Plumber's Butt.

12th April 2007 12:21 AM
glencar It's only rock & roll...He had a pretty nice write up in yesterday's Times.
12th April 2007 07:51 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
glencar wrote:
It's only rock & roll...He had a pretty nice write up in yesterday's Times.

I'll say!
12th April 2007 11:07 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
This is actually a pretty amazing photograph, despite the prevalance of Plumber's Butt.

oh shit! that plumbers but definatley belongs to Jimmy from "Trash n Vaudeville"!!!
12th April 2007 11:32 AM
mojoman
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

oh shit! that plumbers but definatley belongs to Jimmy from "Trash n Vaudeville"!!!

got crack?
12th April 2007 11:33 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Yep, that's Jimmy alright. He was havin' the time of his life up there...LOL...

And here's that Times review in case anyone missed it in the other thread

by Ben Ratliff
Published: April 11, 2007

A show by the reunited Stooges deals with the boundaries of the self; it's about private-made-public and public-made-private. It airs ideas (and parts of the body) that usually aren't laid open, and turns the hey-ho communal experience of rock into an inner monologue.

Over tribal drum rhythms and monstrous guitar riffs, it's also a choreographed re-enactment of chaos, rude and simple and immaculate. It represents a total thesis on rock 'n' roll - not by any means the only possible one but a great one. And the Stooges' show at the United Palace Theater in Washington Heights on Monday night was an argument, too: for the re-uniting of old bands without shame or second thought, once they figure out what, philosophically, they were all about in the first place.

Iggy Pop, now 59, is the captain of these inside-outside actions. Try to take your eyes off him. How he re-enacts fear, rage, sex, abject boredom, universal love and lethal cynicism, while dancing with originality, remembering lyrics and maintaining the delicate middle-state between having pants on and not having pants on, is why he is he, and you are merely you.

On Monday, he sang in girlish screams or hypermasculine croons from the center of his psyche, then pushed outward, imposing himself on the music and the audience. "I took a trip down to the mind room," he sang during an interlude with ringing guitar harmonics and cymbal crashes, "to see what I could find." At another point, during an improvised free-rock section - the kind of thing the Stooges did routinely when they first started in 1967, before they wrote actual songs - he went inward again. "I'm sick!" he screamed. "I'm in pain!" He shoved the microphone into his mouth and bellowed, then rolled on the floor, then butted his torso against a stack of amplifiers. And once standing again, he started a freakish benediction, intoning "I am you." It was all id-language, if blocked and rehearsed; this Stooges show followed the contours of other recent ones.

Iggy repeatedly asked for the house lights to be turned on: more boundary-ruptures. At one point, lights fully on, the band started "Real Cool Time," and Iggy brought the audience into his world, or so it seemed. "Invade the stage!" he begged. "Fly!" About a hundred did, many of them dancing, many trying hungrily to kiss him or pile on him. The road crew suddenly had to protect the band, the backline of amplifiers and Iggy himself, who nonchalantly reached for the arm of a roadie at critical moments. (The mob stayed onstage for "No Fun" as Iggy dodged feet and hands while singing "no fun to be around/walking by myself/no fun to be alone...") Iggy Pop is all right with physical danger and leapt into the crowd several times to prove it. One of those times, memorably, was a dead-man dive: he just tipped over into the front rows, face-first.

Most of the set, rendered fast and loud, came from the first two Stooges albums: "The Stooges," from 1969, and "Fun House," from 1970. (They don't play anything from "Raw Power," their third album.) But the rest of the show - about a third of it - was recent Stooges, since their reunion in 2003, either from the band's brand-new record "The Weirdness," or from Iggy Pop's last solo record, "Skull Ring." The group seems to have forsworn slow tempos and those wrinkles on the Bo Diddley drum pattern in favor of a fast and generic four-four, which could be an act of abnegation, a necessary anti-nostalgia exercise or both.

The bad news is that the new songs lack grace and sensuality. The good news is that they sound much better live. The band threw its weight behind these grooves: Scott Asheton slammed the downbeats on the snare drum; his brother, the guitarist Ron Asheton, made the songs cohere with the drone of his open E string; the tenor saxophonist Steve Mackay blew serrated, trashy R&B riffs, sometimes run through waves of digital echo. And the bassist Mike Watt - the only nonoriginal member, replacing the deceased Dave Alexander - followed Iggy's physical cues with half-crazed concentration, like a fisherman refusing to let go of a dangerous catch.

One of the show's best moments came with no music at all. It was at the end of the new song "I'm Fried." The band snapped it shut, but Iggy Pop kept dancing: grotesque and pretty, whirling, contorting and pivoting. Either by accident or design, he did what he was trying to do: he got outside himself.

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/arts/music/11stoo.html?ref=arts

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
12th April 2007 08:49 PM
GotToRollMe Iggy gave me his cooties! My entire upper body is congested with some foul oozing mucosity! I KNEW I shouldn'ta let him sweat in my eye!
"I'm sick! I'm in pain! Aaarrrggghhh!"

16th April 2007 10:51 AM
GotToRollMe Found this on YouTube from the 4/9 NYC show:

There's a bunch more here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PQpWVSFxQs

And yet another review from earvolution.com:

http://www.earvolution.com/2007/04/raw-power-iggy-pop-stooges-light-up.asp

Monday, April 16, 2007
Raw Power: Iggy Pop & The Stooges Light Up Manhattan
By: David Schultz

Only ten minutes into The Stooges' set at New York City's United Palace Theatre, Iggy Pop flung himself into the crowd with a remarkably spry stage dive. Two minutes later, he crawled like a dog along the theater floor while original members Ron Asheton (guitar), Scott Asheton (drums) and recent addition, Mike Watt (bass) pounded out the primordial crunge of "I Wanna Be Your Dog." Hitting the stage with wildly spastic energy, Pop had every reason to get all his signature moves in early: efficiency can be a plus when you are nearing 60 years old.

The sight and sound of old punk rock bands attempting to recapture their old glory can be a recipe for disaster. For Iggy & The Stooges, the ages on their birth certificates couldn't have been verified by listening to them on stage. The Stooges sound as fresh and powerful as the scores of bands influenced by their late-Sixties, early-Seventies material that predated the furiously aggressive punk rock era. The Stooges' show thrived on raw power, even if the set list didn't include any songs from Raw Power.

Hardly a warning against the lasting evils of heroin, Pop looks like he's in phenomenal shape. Shirtless the entire show, Pop animatedly bounded about the stage looking nothing like a rocker nearing AARP status. With his wiry, muscular frame and long hair, which he flaps around with abandon, he could easily pass for Anthony Kiedis' father. Pop not only slithered and snaked his way across the stage, he practically shimmied out of his pants. As the show carried on, Pop's head of steam faded and by the end of the show he simply stalked the stage, throwing his arms about in a semi-coordinated dance and occasionally trying to keep his pants up.

The Stooges' constructed their set list primarily from their 1969 self-titled debut, Fun House, their 1970 follow-up and the recently released The Weirdness. The Ashetons and Watt provided a serious aural assault: Ron Asheton pounded away viciously on his guitar while Watt, the former Minuteman, rapidly ran through multiple bass riffs nearly drowning out Scott Asheton's drumming. Halfway through the set, saxophonist Steve MacKay joined the madness, providing some jazzy, dissonant sax to "Fun House" and some of the newer material. They held back "1969" until the encore but otherwise ran through their back catalogue, including all but one song from Fun House, in the early parts of the show. By the time they featured their more recent material, the songs simply started to run into each other, sounding all the same.

The spirit of The Stooges' ethos crosses generational lines which were represented by the mixed crowd that came to see them at the inconveniently located United Palace. The healthy number of Baby Boomers, content to relive a few memories without exerting themselves too physically, remained near the back of the theater while the more rambunctious once-and-always punk rockers moshed, waved their hands in the air and crowd surfed amidst the troublesome confines of the seats.

The punk rock that The Stooges gave birth to thrived on an impending sense of danger, wild releases of energy which resulted in wild slam dancing; one's physical safety couldn't always be presumed. Iggy & The Stooges brought that sense of trepidation to the United Palace. After Pop opened the floodgates by inviting the crowd up from the floor during "Real Good Time," the stage teemed with people. Many just waved their arms overhead, happy to part of the show, others dancing merrily at the back, a few rambunctiously flailed about. Woefully ill prepared to handle the situation, security had a hard time clearing the stage during the ensuing "No Fun" with some resorting to roughly manhandling people while Pop & The Stooges kept on playing. Not everything goes though at the punk rock show: one fan's misguided attempt to remedy the lack of space by throwing his chair at Iggy after ripping it out of the ground expectedly met with disapproval from security who quickly placed him under arrest.

A renovated movie theater that currently houses Rev. Ike's ministry, the gorgeous United Palace Theatre, which has just recently started accepting concert bookings through Bowery Presents, is miserably equipped to handle the shows of the size and scope they've booked. Compounding minor inconveniences like mislabeled rows and unlabeled seat numbers, the ushering staff remained relatively incognito leaving some people wandering aimlessly as they looked for their seats or baffled as to which unmarked chair might be theirs. The failure to turn on the air circulation system before The Stooges took the stage resulted in a stifling atmosphere only matched by the frigidity when the temperature dropped precipitously once the air kicked in. Once the Stooges finished the night with a steamrolling version of "Little Electric Chair," the crowd proceeded to the exits only to be bottlenecked as there were too few exits to properly handle the capacity crowd.

Refusing to let age slow them down, Iggy & The Stooges pulled out many of their old tricks. If the seventy-five minute set had any deficiencies, The Stooges masked them with volume, intensity and speed. Older fans got a satisfying dose of nostalgia and those too young to see The Stooges in their prime got to see and hear one the true forefathers of modern-day rock and roll. Fortunately for everyone, Iggy left the peanut butter at home.
16th April 2007 10:56 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Yep, that's Jimmy alright. He was havin' the time of his life up there...LOL...

thats awesome. Dudes gotta be one of the biggest Stooges fans ever.
16th April 2007 02:34 PM
Dan And now it looks like I am going to the Wiltern after all, totally looking forward to it!
16th April 2007 02:48 PM
pdog 3 days and counting... Giants game with my son for his birthday then Stooges show...
life can be sooo good.
16th April 2007 03:12 PM
Saint Sway lately I've been freebasing pancakes

http://www.notcot.com/archives/2007/04/freebase_pancak.php
16th April 2007 03:29 PM
pdog
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
lately I've been freebasing pancakes

http://www.notcot.com/archives/2007/04/freebase_pancak.php

Biscrack...
16th April 2007 08:21 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Dan wrote:
And now it looks like I am going to the Wiltern after all, totally looking forward to it!

Excellent, Dan! Glad to hear it!
16th April 2007 10:08 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
pdog wrote:
3 days and counting... Giants game with my son for his birthday then Stooges show...
life can be sooo good.

Very cool. Glad your family made it home safely and you're celebrating your son's birthday AND seeing the Stoooooooges. Just had to share this pic someone emailed me today. Yer in for such a blast, p.

18th April 2007 03:58 PM
pdog Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be sedated...
18th April 2007 10:57 PM
Egbert
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Very cool. Glad your family made it home safely and you're celebrating your son's birthday AND seeing the Stoooooooges. Just had to share this pic someone emailed me today. Yer in for such a blast, p.

I love that pic - hard to see on screen (mine anyway - I did see same pic in the recent MOJO Stooges issue), but the eyes have the look of one who is completely blazed out of his mind, which I guess, given the fact that it's Iggy in 1970, is no great revelation...
19th April 2007 01:09 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
pdog wrote:
Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be sedated...

Only a few hours to go...brace yourself!
Have a real cool time tonight, pdog, monkey man and anyone else from the SF area going to the show.

19th April 2007 01:23 PM
monkey_man Can't fucking wait!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)