ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R.I.P. Doris Richards
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAΡOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: $166 to see the ONLY true diva??? Return to archive Page: 1 2
12th April 2007 12:17 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
I like that song "Upside Down"........

12th April 2007 01:42 PM
texile i'm coming out
great guitar song.
her last great song.
12th April 2007 06:08 PM
TampabayStone
13th April 2007 05:57 AM
jaymze I saw her in concert in Dublin in 2004. She sold out the Point Depot and had to add an extra gig at the end of the European tour. I was fairly dubious about going to the gig (my ex made me go - and we broke up that night!) but I had a great time. It was 2 hours of hits, loads of costume changes, lots of talking to the crowd, sitting on peoples laps, hugging babies etc but she came across as a cool lady. All the reviews the next day were glowing. Since then I have bought some of her 60's and 70's stuff and I haven't been dissapointed!

Her 1980 "diana" CD is her best. She basically got CHIC to record the album and then she sang over it. Its really funky and jazzy and one of the best that the CHIC organisation ever recorded.
13th April 2007 02:49 PM
jb I think she is an original...sorry to see her really not make good career moves in the 80's, and she came off as a really bitchy person. I hope her appearance on Idol and the new tour rehabilitates her image...she certainly was one of the pioneers of MowTown. I believe she was married for a while to a wealthy Swede?
13th April 2007 02:59 PM
texile her husband - i can't remember if they were separated or not - diesd in a mountain-climbing accident a few years ago and she's had a rough time and that's when she got busted for drunk driving.
she'll be back....she's a survivor.
and yeah, i think the diana album was a great precedent for jagger, bowie, duran duran and nile rodgers becoming such a prolific producer in the 80s.
rodgers worked with diana, got to know her and built songs around that ..so it had a earthy vibe.
remember the gene simmons years?
to his credit, simmons has always spoken admirable about her....and was instrumental in encouraging her to break away from gordy.
things didn't go the way it should have after leaving motown, but it was a gutsy move.
14th April 2007 08:13 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
texile wrote:
her husband - i can't remember if they were separated or not - diesd in a mountain-climbing accident a few years ago and she's had a rough time and that's when she got busted for drunk driving.
she'll be back....she's a survivor.
and yeah, i think the diana album was a great precedent for jagger, bowie, duran duran and nile rodgers becoming such a prolific producer in the 80s.
rodgers worked with diana, got to know her and built songs around that ..so it had a earthy vibe.
remember the gene simmons years?
to his credit, simmons has always spoken admirable about her....and was instrumental in encouraging her to break away from gordy.
things didn't go the way it should have after leaving motown, but it was a gutsy move.

Nice! I heard Gene moved on to Cher.
17th April 2007 04:57 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
parmeda wrote:
TBS...I'm going this Saturday to see Diana.

I must warn you - be prepared to see 8-10 costume changes, at best. Anything less would surprise me. However, she does have a way about doing it almost right on stage in front of god and everyone. Kinda amazing.

I look forward to hearing your take on your show.

Parmy, how was the show??

My tix came in the mail today, very exciting stuff!!
17th April 2007 05:16 PM
texile
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Nice! I heard Gene moved on to Cher.

actually, gene moved FROM cher to diana..
cher and diana were friends - and cher introduced them.
i always thought it was an interesting hook-up....
from all acounts, there was a genuine mutual fondness and simmons seemed to encourage her independence.
after her very nice, but dull first husband and enslavement to gordy - gene really seemed to appreciate her diva-ness.
17th April 2007 07:21 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
texile wrote:

actually, gene moved FROM cher to diana..
cher and diana were friends - and cher introduced them.
i always thought it was an interesting hook-up....
from all acounts, there was a genuine mutual fondness and simmons seemed to encourage her independence.
after her very nice, but dull first husband and enslavement to gordy - gene really seemed to appreciate her diva-ness.

Texy knows his/her Diva! Thanks!!!
17th April 2007 08:07 PM
texile and a sexually ambiguous welcome to you....lol
am i the only one who thought diana's version of ain't no mountain high enough was better than the original.
it was majestic and epic.
17th April 2007 08:45 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
texile wrote:
and a sexually ambiguous welcome to you....lol
am i the only one who thought diana's version of ain't no mountain high enough was better than the original.
it was majestic and epic.

Si, Pat....
18th April 2007 02:29 AM
parmeda
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:
Parmy, how was the show??

My tix came in the mail today, very exciting stuff!!

Outfuckingstanding, my friend!
You will NOT be disappointed!
My only regret is that the goons made me check my camera and cell phone in at Guest Services...(pricks!)
Her costume changes left me jaw-dropped.
She is still a breath-takingly, beautiful woman. Very gracious, a class act, bar none. The show went by too quickly, though...she could have very well spent another hour at it.
Oprah was sitting in a private box about 20 feet away from us...CRYING for god's sake, throughout half the show (gag me!)
His "Air-ness" was in the box next to her enjoying the fuck outta himself, lol
(I tend to 'people watch' a lot and get a kick out of it!)

The local critics were very kind. Read on.

DIANA SLAYS 'EM
FEATHERS, SEQUINS & NOSTALGIA POWER REIGN

Chicago SunTimes
April 16, 2007
BY MISHA DAVENPORT [email protected]

Diana Ross is both a diva and a legend. Don't you ever forget it.

In a short, hour-and-20-minute concert Saturday night at the Chicago Theatre, Ross, who recently celebrated her 63rd birthday, proved to the crowd that neither her talent nor her beauty have diminished. She still reigns supreme.

The night had all the energy of a Southern Baptist revival, only perhaps with more sequins, feathers and tulle -- certainly the singer's dress and accessories of choice.
It all began with Ross teasing the audience by singing the opening strains of "I'm Coming Out" unseen offstage, which succeeded in whipping the sold-out crowd into a frenzy. When she finally appeared between the drum kit and percussion stand, the crowd roared. So mesmerized were they, she could have sung nursery rhymes the rest of the night and they probably wouldn't have cared.

"Tonight, I want you to sing along with me. Join in, all right," she told the crowd as she began a medley of what she called hits from the "old days of the super-duper Supremes." The medley included "My World Is Empty Without You," "Where Did Our Love Go," "Baby Love" and "Stop! In the Name of Love."

Through it all, she seemed to take a bit of devilish delight in poking fun at some of the more iconic poses and stage movements from her days in Motown's No. 1 girl group.

The iconic imagery she created after she left that group was another story. Her movements were treated with the seriousness of a religious ceremony and contained their own instructions:

• • Outstretched arms to the audience, palms open, was the cue to shower the legend with applause or shout-outs.

• • Head tossed back and arms outstretched to the band was the cue to applaud her five-piece combo and two backup singers.

At one moment, it even looked like a religious ceremony, as a procession of fans lined up to approach the stage and shower their diva with flowers (a white box of long-stemmed roses was graciously accepted, as was a less pricey mixed bouquet from Jewel), a teddy bear and even a black feather boa (which Ross politely refused, saying, "You need to wear your feathers, girl").

While her upper register isn't as powerful as it once was, singers half her age would still envy her range and vocal control. She left little doubt as to her continued greatness as she asserted herself in tunes such as Ashford and Simpson's "It's My House" and a funky arrangement of "Ease on Down the Road" (from "The Wiz").

Even with four costume changes -- one every 20 minutes, like clockwork -- the lady found time to sing the blues with a Billie Holiday medley, including "Fine and Mellow," "Don't Explain" and "Love Is Like a Faucet." While even she might admit her voice is best suited for pop, she still gave a valiant blues performance. The crowd was too busy to notice anyway, drowning out her singing by shouting praises that included "You rock!"

Though the concert is in support of her new album, "I Love You," it was an evening long on hits and virtually absent of songs from that new disc. The one exception was the encore of the title track, written by Fred White (who is one of two backup singers with her on the road).

She left the stage with a reprise of Gloria Gaynor's disco anthem "I Will Survive" -- just in case anyone might still be wondering.
18th April 2007 03:52 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Outfuckingstanding, my friend!
You will NOT be disappointed!
My only regret is that the goons made me check my camera and cell phone in at Guest Services...(pricks!)
Her costume changes left me jaw-dropped.
She is still a breath-takingly, beautiful woman. Very gracious, a class act, bar none. The show went by too quickly, though...she could have very well spent another hour at it.
Oprah was sitting in a private box about 20 feet away from us...CRYING for god's sake, throughout half the show (gag me!)
His "Air-ness" was in the box next to her enjoying the fuck outta himself, lol
(I tend to 'people watch' a lot and get a kick out of it!)

The local critics were very kind. Read on.

DIANA SLAYS 'EM
FEATHERS, SEQUINS & NOSTALGIA POWER REIGN

Chicago SunTimes
April 16, 2007
BY MISHA DAVENPORT [email protected]

Diana Ross is both a diva and a legend. Don't you ever forget it.

In a short, hour-and-20-minute concert Saturday night at the Chicago Theatre, Ross, who recently celebrated her 63rd birthday, proved to the crowd that neither her talent nor her beauty have diminished. She still reigns supreme.

The night had all the energy of a Southern Baptist revival, only perhaps with more sequins, feathers and tulle -- certainly the singer's dress and accessories of choice.
It all began with Ross teasing the audience by singing the opening strains of "I'm Coming Out" unseen offstage, which succeeded in whipping the sold-out crowd into a frenzy. When she finally appeared between the drum kit and percussion stand, the crowd roared. So mesmerized were they, she could have sung nursery rhymes the rest of the night and they probably wouldn't have cared.

"Tonight, I want you to sing along with me. Join in, all right," she told the crowd as she began a medley of what she called hits from the "old days of the super-duper Supremes." The medley included "My World Is Empty Without You," "Where Did Our Love Go," "Baby Love" and "Stop! In the Name of Love."

Through it all, she seemed to take a bit of devilish delight in poking fun at some of the more iconic poses and stage movements from her days in Motown's No. 1 girl group.

The iconic imagery she created after she left that group was another story. Her movements were treated with the seriousness of a religious ceremony and contained their own instructions:

• • Outstretched arms to the audience, palms open, was the cue to shower the legend with applause or shout-outs.

• • Head tossed back and arms outstretched to the band was the cue to applaud her five-piece combo and two backup singers.

At one moment, it even looked like a religious ceremony, as a procession of fans lined up to approach the stage and shower their diva with flowers (a white box of long-stemmed roses was graciously accepted, as was a less pricey mixed bouquet from Jewel), a teddy bear and even a black feather boa (which Ross politely refused, saying, "You need to wear your feathers, girl").

While her upper register isn't as powerful as it once was, singers half her age would still envy her range and vocal control. She left little doubt as to her continued greatness as she asserted herself in tunes such as Ashford and Simpson's "It's My House" and a funky arrangement of "Ease on Down the Road" (from "The Wiz").

Even with four costume changes -- one every 20 minutes, like clockwork -- the lady found time to sing the blues with a Billie Holiday medley, including "Fine and Mellow," "Don't Explain" and "Love Is Like a Faucet." While even she might admit her voice is best suited for pop, she still gave a valiant blues performance. The crowd was too busy to notice anyway, drowning out her singing by shouting praises that included "You rock!"

Though the concert is in support of her new album, "I Love You," it was an evening long on hits and virtually absent of songs from that new disc. The one exception was the encore of the title track, written by Fred White (who is one of two backup singers with her on the road).

She left the stage with a reprise of Gloria Gaynor's disco anthem "I Will Survive" -- just in case anyone might still be wondering.

Very Nice!!! Thanks parmeda; I'm Jacked..
18th April 2007 08:44 AM
oldkr She ain't got nuthin on Elton

OLE'KR
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)