ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Uri Geller
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tony Bennett: Two Albums To 80th Birthday Return to archive
18th April 2006 02:20 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Tony Bennett: Two Albums To 80th Birthday
Jazz News
4-18-06

Tony Bennett is one of the rare recording artists to have new albums chart in five different decades. Over the course of his career, he has earned 13 GRAMMY Awards, including a GRAMMY Lifetime Achievement Award and honors for Record of the Year ("I Left My Heart in San Francisco, " 1962) and Album of the Year (MTV Unplugged, 1993). He is also the recipient of an EMMY Award and the Kennedy Center Honors.

To commemorate this lifetime of achievement--and in celebration of the artist's 80th birthday milestone--Starbucks Hear Music will introduce customers to two Tony Bennett CD projects this year. The first of these is a Starbucks Hear Music Opus collection, Through the Years, which will be available exclusively at Starbucks Company-operated locations in the U.S. and Canada beginning April 4.

For Through the Years, Starbucks Hear Music worked with Bennett to select landmark hits as well as some of the artist's handpicked personal favorites, to create a portrait of Bennett's musical career. On the 15-track CD are songs for which Bennett created definitive interpretations including "I Left My Heart in San Francisco, " Cy Coleman's "The Best Is Yet To Come, " Hammerstein's Sound of Music classic, "My Favorite Things, " Hank Williams' "Cold, Cold Heart, " Rodgers and Hart's "Blue Moon, " "The Way You Look Tonight, " "Smile, " and "It Had To Be You." Also among the tracks are the memorable "Just In Time, " "I Wanna Be Around, " "The Good Life, " "I Could Write a Book, " "Steppin' Out with My Baby" and a version of "My Foolish Heart" recorded with the great jazz pianist Bill Evans.

The Starbucks Hear Music Opus series showcases songs by artists essential for any music collection. The Starbucks Hear Music content team compiles a mix of classic tunes with songs people may not have ever heard to create a portrait of each artist. Previous Starbucks Hear Music(tm) Opus Collections include: Miles Davis, Joni Mitchell, Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday, and Ray Charles.

This fall, Starbucks will offer a second CD, an RPM/Columbia release, which will feature newly recorded duets with Bennett and a wide range of musical artists, among them Bono, the Dixie Chicks and Billy Joel. The repertoire will include the songs most closely associated with Bennett's celebrated catalogue, which comprised countless hits over five decades of recorded output. The duets album, which is currently untitled, will be available simultaneously at Starbucks Company-operated locations and traditional retailers.

18th April 2006 02:26 PM
Break The Spell Starbucks will issues these exclusive cds hot on the heels of the runaway sucess of Rarities!!
18th April 2006 02:51 PM
jb Why the media doesn't say the old, decreped, toupee wearing Bennett? Double standard, eh?
18th April 2006 02:57 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
jb wrote:
Why the media doesn't say the old, decreped, toupee wearing Bennett? Double standard, eh?

Double standard indeed. Sinatra performed into his 80's and never got criticized.
18th April 2006 03:18 PM
jb
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Double standard indeed. Sinatra performed into his 80's and never got criticized.

And had a Toupee since his mid 50's?
18th April 2006 03:20 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
jb wrote:
And had a Toupee since his mid 50's?

I'd say so, he was that age during the Strangers In The Night era, again no grief or backlash given from the press, the way they constantly disrespect the stones.
18th April 2006 03:24 PM
jb
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

I'd say so, he was that age during the Strangers In The Night era, again no grief or backlash given from the press, the way they constantly disrespect the stones.

Stones always have been and alwasy shall be hated by the mainstream....thats why we are teh vocal minority that must keep hope alive..the dream must not die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
18th April 2006 03:26 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
jb wrote:

Stones always have been and alwasy shall be hated by the mainstream....thats why we are teh vocal minority that must keep hope alive..the dream must not die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do my part in my area of the world every chance I get. Many around here have the "Beatles and U2 are superior" mentality and its indeed a fight at times. But a good fight it is!!
18th April 2006 03:31 PM
jb
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

I do my part in my area of the world every chance I get. Many around here have the "Beatles and U2 are superior" mentality and its indeed a fight at times. But a good fight it is!!

Tell them the Beatles were an average, at best, pop band, that can't compare to the blues inspired rock the Stones achieved...tell them also the Beatle never were good live, unlike the greatest live band ever. As fdor U2, they may be popular as far as Bono and his world crusades(self-promotion), but their catalogue of music doesn't even come close to the Stones....also, Bono is not a very good front man...bending over like you're constipated is surely not exciting.
18th April 2006 03:35 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
jb wrote:

Tell them the Beatles were an average, at best, pop band, that can't compare to the blues inspired rock the Stones achieved...tell them also the Beatle never were good live, unlike the greatest live band ever. As fdor U2, they may be popular as far as Bono and his world crusades(self-promotion), but their catalogue of music doesn't even come close to the Stones....also, Bono is not a very good front man...bending over like you're constipated is surely not exciting.

Agreed on the Bono points, even the hardcore U2 fans can't come up with anything to counter those arguments!! As far as The Beatles as a live band go, really they only played live for about a 4 year period, the last half of their career they were just a studio band who couldn't reproduce their songs in a live setting.
18th April 2006 03:41 PM
Saint Sway I loathe that the Stones ABB & Rarities are marketed alongside this bland vanilla elevator music.

quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

The Starbucks Hear Music Opus series showcases songs by artists essential for any music collection. The Starbucks Hear Music content team compiles a mix of classic tunes with songs people may not have ever heard to create a portrait of each artist. Previous Starbucks Hear Music(tm) Opus Collections include: Miles Davis, Joni Mitchell, Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday, and Ray Charles.

This fall, Starbucks will offer a second CD, an RPM/Columbia release, which will feature newly recorded duets with Bennett and a wide range of musical artists, among them Bono, the Dixie Chicks and Billy Joel. The repertoire will include the songs most closely associated with Bennett's celebrated catalogue, which comprised countless hits over five decades of recorded output. The duets album, which is currently untitled, will be available simultaneously at Starbucks Company-operated locations and traditional retailers.

18th April 2006 03:46 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I loathe that the Stones ABB & Rarities are marketed alongside this bland vanilla elevator music.

Plus the hardcore Starbucks customers that bought Rarities there actually thought most of those songs were rarities. Wow, Mannish Boy, its never been available before!!
18th April 2006 03:55 PM
gimmekeef Look up Lounge Lizard in the dictionary and there is a pic of Tony B....
18th April 2006 04:04 PM
Saint Sway its part of Starbucks grand marketing plan to sell music that makes you doze off (Alanis Morrisette, Sting, Tony Bennett, Billy Joel, Dixie Chicks, Annie Lennox, John Mayer...) just so that you need their caffiene fueled coffees just to remain semi-concious.

No doubt it was the Starbucks Head of Marketing that urged the Stones to include "Anyway You Look At It" on the Rarities cd.
18th April 2006 04:16 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
its part of Starbucks grand marketing plan to sell music that makes you doze off (Alanis Morrisette, Sting, Tony Bennett, Billy Joel, Dixie Chicks, Annie Lennox, John Mayer...) just so that you need their caffiene fueled coffees just to remain semi-concious.

No doubt it was the Starbucks Head of Marketing that urged the Stones to include "Anyway You Look At It" on the Rarities cd.

Great thinking!! There is no other earthly explaination as to why Anyway You Look at It was released. There's just some Stones songs you can't defend!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)