ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Uri Geller
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Elvis impersonators under threat (nsc) Return to archive
17th April 2006 12:19 PM
Ten Thousand Motels ELVIS IMPERSONATORS UNDER THREAT

More than 30,000 ELVIS PRESLEY impersonators in America may be forced to quit by a New York City businessman who has bought the rights to the late icon's name and likeness in the US. Billionaire AMERICAN IDOL owner BOB SILLERMAN paid $114 million (GBP65 million) for an 85 per cent stake in Elvis Presley Enterprises - and now controls everything except the King of Rock 'N' Roll's music. Now Sillerman plans to open a new Elvis cabaret show in Las Vegas and prevent any one else from dressing up like the star. He tells The New York Times, "If we were going to do a show that was based on Elvis impersonators, then obviously it wouldn't make sense to have unauthorised Elvis impersonators." In a move likely to outrage fans even further, Sillerman also plans to demolish the legendary Heartbreak Hotel opposite Presley's Graceland home in Memphis, Tennessee, and replace it with two 400-room hotels, restaurants, shops and an amphitheatre.
17/04/2006 13:34

17th April 2006 01:04 PM
Break The Spell Most of the Elvis Impersonator's I've seen would only be qualified physically to cover the 1973-77 era. Here's hoping we don't have Bono impersonators in 2020.
17th April 2006 06:42 PM
Dead_Flowers
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
ELVIS IMPERSONATORS UNDER THREAT

More than 30,000 ELVIS PRESLEY impersonators in America may be forced to quit by a New York City businessman who has bought the rights to the late icon's name and likeness in the US. Billionaire AMERICAN IDOL owner BOB SILLERMAN paid $114 million (GBP65 million) for an 85 per cent stake in Elvis Presley Enterprises - and now controls everything except the King of Rock 'N' Roll's music. Now Sillerman plans to open a new Elvis cabaret show in Las Vegas and prevent any one else from dressing up like the star. He tells The New York Times, "If we were going to do a show that was based on Elvis impersonators, then obviously it wouldn't make sense to have unauthorised Elvis impersonators." In a move likely to outrage fans even further, Sillerman also plans to demolish the legendary Heartbreak Hotel opposite Presley's Graceland home in Memphis, Tennessee, and replace it with two 400-room hotels, restaurants, shops and an amphitheatre.
17/04/2006 13:34

17th April 2006 06:43 PM
Dead_Flowers Sorry, I don't know how to work this yet.

What I meant to say was I didn't know you had to be authorised to be an Elvis impersonator.
17th April 2006 07:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Dead_Flowers wrote:
What I meant to say was I didn't know you had to be authorised to be an Elvis impersonator.

Well, it seems this character thinks so. I guess he owns Elvis' image. Anyway they stopped Clayton Moore from wearing a Lone Ranger mask some years back.
17th April 2006 08:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot How does this dink ever hope to enforce this? It's just crazy talk. It's one thing to say it, another thing entirely to make it stick. Especially in court.....
17th April 2006 09:45 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
How does this dink ever hope to enforce this?

Maybe he's personal friends with the Las Vegas Police Chief. Perhaps a city wide sweep rounding up all the Elvis impersonators...with stiff jail sentences to send a message to other wannabes.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
17th April 2006 11:16 PM
Taptrick Dread Zeppelin anyone?

[Edited by Taptrick]
18th April 2006 07:45 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Most of the Elvis Impersonator's I've seen would only be qualified physically to cover the 1973-77 era.

This really is an outrage. It's like demeaning "Mom", "Apple Pie" and the Flag. It's an attack on the very spirit of America and what it means to be an American. The Elvis Presley Impersonater is a cultural phenomenon that helps to define "Americana".
18th April 2006 07:51 AM
lotsajizz ah, butt-boy and tortelvis!

18th April 2006 09:19 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Taptrick wrote:
Dread Zeppelin anyone?

[Edited by Taptrick]

I love their take on Whole Lotta Love. Their version of No Quarter sounds like a completely different song altogether, as with most of their covers. Hail Dread Zeppelin!!
18th April 2006 09:21 AM
Jumacfly Has anyone here seen the great movie "bubba ho tep", featuring an old Elvis??
hilarious stuff!!
18th April 2006 09:24 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Has anyone here seen the great movie "bubba ho tep", featuring an old Elvis??
hilarious stuff!!

Funny movie!! Elvis is still alive, he was spotted at a 7-11 with Roy Orbison last week.
18th April 2006 09:52 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Funny movie!! Elvis is still alive, he was spotted at a 7-11 with Roy Orbison last week.

my sources told me Brian jones was selling shoes at Wallmart!
18th April 2006 11:41 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Has anyone here seen the great movie "bubba ho tep", featuring an old Elvis??
hilarious stuff!!

No but I did see Elvis meets Nixon which was pretty funny.
18th April 2006 11:45 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

my sources told me Brian jones was selling shoes at Wallmart!

Poor Brian, Wal*Mart don't like to pay, so hopefully the royalties from the Abcko albums are still rolling in for him.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)