ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Uri Geller
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: U2 top The Smiths in battle of the lyrics Return to archive Page: 1 2
17th April 2006 08:29 AM
Ten Thousand Motels U2 top The Smiths in battle of the lyrics
Manchesteronline.co.uk
April 17,2006

U2 have beaten The Smiths in a survey of Britain's favourite lyric on the eve of Morrisey's Manchester dates.

"One life, with each other, sisters, brothers" - featured in U2's 1992 song One. It beat The Smiths' "So you go and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own, and you go home and you cry and you want to die" from How Soon is Now?

More than 13,000 fans took part in the survey for TV music channel VH1 and Noel Gallagher was among the musicians choosing their personal favourites for the programme.

Advertisement your story continues below
Nirvana were third most popular with Smells Like Teen Spirit and the line "I feel stupid and contagious, here we are now, entertain us".

Fourth was Bob Marley's Redemption Song - "And then Georgie would make the fire lights ... as it was, logwood burnin' through the nights" - followed by Coldplay's Yellow, "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you".

Robbie Williams' Angels takes seventh place, with the lyric "And through it all she offers me protection, a lot of love and affection, whether I'm right or wrong".

Others in the top 20 include The Who (My Generation), Radiohead (Creep), Abba (The Winner Takes It All), Pink Floyd (Another Brick in the Wall), Bob Dylan (Subterranean Homesick Blues) and the Kaiser Chiefs (I Predict A Riot), featuring the lyric: "Watching the people get lairy, is not very pretty I tell thee, walking through town is quite scary, and not very sensible either".

2006 Manchester Evening News.
17th April 2006 08:37 AM
speedfreakjive What a shame this newspaper couldn't correspond the correct lyrics of 'Redemption Song', those are the lyrics to 'No Woman, No Cry'!!!
17th April 2006 08:46 AM
Break The Spell U2 and Abba on the list but the Stones are nowhere to be found?? Not even for Sympathy For The Devil or You Can't Always Get What you Want?? Another sad, disappointing list to be released!! At least My Generation from The who made it!!
17th April 2006 09:17 AM
M.O.W.A.T. or at the very least Rocks Off: "The sunshine bores the daylights out of me".
17th April 2006 09:28 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:
or at the very least Rocks Off: "The sunshine bores the daylights out of me".

indeed, or

Hand Of Fate
17th April 2006 09:56 AM
corgi37 England is so un-cool right now.
17th April 2006 11:17 AM
gimmekeef Its great to see ABBA recognized for their lyrical genius (excuse me while I puke)...13,000 asshats were needed to come up with this bs?
Theres more great lines in Sympathy (or a host of others) than any of these songs combined!
17th April 2006 11:20 AM
Honky Tonk Man Bono a better lyricist than Morrissey? Fuck off!
17th April 2006 11:22 AM
voodoopug Please delete this thread....after the confirmation of the end of the major touring for hte stones...i cannot take this. Please.....do not turn this from Rocks Off to "Elevation" THis is not a U2 message board!
17th April 2006 11:32 AM
Gazza Oh, the outrage!

I can feel your collective pain, folks...

Hope there's enough to go around all of us!
17th April 2006 11:34 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Oh, the outrage!

I can feel your collective pain, folks...

Hope there's enough to go around all of us!

there is not enough to go around for this embarrassment...Please delete this thread immediately...we do not want to be known as THE SOURCE for U2 information!
17th April 2006 12:04 PM
caro
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
followed by Coldplay's Yellow, "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you".

W-W-WHAT?! Am I being unromantic or is this line, like, really stupid?
Anyway, "One" is rather good choice -- mine would have been the entire New York album by Lou Reed, especially Last Great American Whale.
"My mother said she saw him in Chinatown, But you can’t always trust your mother"..
17th April 2006 12:05 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
17th April 2006 12:19 PM
voodoopug
quote:

Sadly, i was about 20 feet from that photo!
17th April 2006 12:50 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Wow, did you actually see Bono's aura? Is he really surrounded by light like some say?
17th April 2006 12:54 PM
Break The Spell Funny from that picture, you can tell Bono is 3 times the size of Mick yet 20 years younger!! There's no way they'll have 20 years of touring left in them, Bono won't have the stamina (lets hope)!!
17th April 2006 01:09 PM
voodoopug
quote:

Wow, did you actually see Bono's aura? Is he really surrounded by light like some say?

Even with my noted visual handicap.....the light was blinding..you can actually feel the aura around him where he beleives he should be an honorary pope.

I nearly vomitted.
17th April 2006 01:12 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:

No aura but you can see the holes from where he was nailed to his cross!
17th April 2006 02:56 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

And you did nothing to stop it pug?....
17th April 2006 02:58 PM
voodoopug
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

And you did nothing to stop it pug?....

We were smashed up front like sardines, even though we were all covered in sweat and quite lubricated....It would have been impossible for me to get up there to do anything about it (ADDA strikes again). I do feel I let all of you down though!
17th April 2006 03:17 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

We were smashed up front like sardines, even though we were all covered in sweat and quite lubricated....It would have been impossible for me to get up there to do anything about it (ADDA strikes again). I do feel I let all of you down though!

You smacking Bono off the stage would have been making dreams come true for millions....Hopefully the opportunity never arises again....
17th April 2006 03:22 PM
voodoopug
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

You smacking Bono off the stage would have been making dreams come true for millions....Hopefully the opportunity never arises again....

you have, as I deserved, humiliated me publically!
17th April 2006 06:16 PM
Saint Sway well, well, well.... after all his phony Bono bashing talk it appears that Puggy is all bark and no bite.

Not only did he do nothing to stop one of the most humiliating moments in Stones history. He followed it up by buying tix to see U2 live.

pathetic

quote:
voodoopug wrote:
....It would have been impossible for me to get up there to do anything about it (ADDA strikes again). I do feel I let all of you down though!

17th April 2006 06:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

trust me, had it been Jon Bon Jovi on that stage I would have found a way on to the stage (even if it meant a guitar to the temple from Keith) to make sure it got no further and to save us all from humiliating headlines the next day!
17th April 2006 09:17 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Fourth was Bob Marley's Redemption Song - "And then Georgie would make the fire lights ... as it was, logwood burnin' through the nights"

HUH??
17th April 2006 09:49 PM
Riffhard quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fourth was Bob Marley's Redemption Song - "And then Georgie would make the fire lights ... as it was, logwood burnin' through the nights"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HUH??

That right there shjows why these stupid lists have zero street cred! I mean the fucknuts don't even know which songs are which! And Abba? Abba? WTF?

Riffy
17th April 2006 09:54 PM
Gazza thats what happens when you poll people of a certain age and taste

Cracks me up that people get outraged - and that they think a similar poll amongst the great unwashed and tasteless masses in their own neck of the woods would spew out anything more 'credible'

and Jesus...do you really expect the public to pick some Stones song that even most STONES fans dont even know?
17th April 2006 11:11 PM
Taptrick

How's that one Smith's lyric go? Something like:

"I had a job,
Then I lost a job,
Now I can't find a job..." or something like that

My wife loves The Smiths. She gets pissed when I walk around just making up lyrics to that melody:

"I'm walking,
Down the hallway...
And I'mmm turnnnning left......"

17th April 2006 11:14 PM
BONOISLOVE
18th April 2006 12:48 AM
Highwire Rob What, no votes for James?

quote:
This bed is on fire
With passionate love
The neighbours complain about the noises above
But she only comes when she’s on top

Damn I love those lines!

[Just saw Eva Longoria on Dave Letterman... how the mind wanders...]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)