ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Uri Geller
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jerry Lee still shakin' Return to archive
16th April 2006 03:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Jerry Lee still shakin'

Friday, April 14, 2006
By IAN SPELLING
SPECIAL TO THE RECORD
www.bergen.com

The Killer is still slayin' 'em.

Jerry Lee Lewis will be the first to admit that Father Time is giving him a run for his money, but there's still a whole lotta shakin' goin' on every time he sits down at a piano before a roomful of fans or a roomful of fellow musicians. And Lewis is still doing both.

His latest album, tentatively titled "The Pilgrim," features duets with Bruce Springsteen, Little Richard, Robbie Robertson and George Jones, as well as B.B. King, Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton on guitar, and Ringo Starr on drums.

*Lewis will play Saturday at B.B. King Blues Club and Grill in Manhattan before touching down in Tennessee and Missouri, then heading to Europe for shows in Germany, France and England.
(*this gig happened Saturday, April 15,2006)

In a recent interview via e-mail, he recalled such fellow Sun Records legends as Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash and Elvis, talked about slowing down and mused about what's left to accomplish.

Q. Carl, Johnny, Roy and Elvis are gone. You're still standing and you were the "bad boy." How strange is it that you're still here and that you're the keeper of the Sun flame?

I'm the last man standing only by the grace of God alone, and I'm certainly thankful for that. It's a great honor and a privilege for me to find myself the keeper of the Sun flame, and to help keep the legacy of Carl, Johnny, Roy and Elvis alive. I'm planning to keep it up as long as I can.

Q. What's the latest on "The Pilgrim"?

I'm told that the title of the album has been changed; I think the new name that's being discussed is "Redemption." The album has come together beautifully. There are so many great songs on this album that I have a hard time choosing one, but I think my personal favorite is "Twilight" with Robbie Robertson. And the word is that the album will be released in September.

Q. You don't go into any show with a set list, but what will we likely hear at B.B. King's?

I always feel the audience out and then I play to that feeling. Usually I include "Whole Lotta Shakin' " and "Great Balls of Fire." From the album, I'll probably play two songs: "Before the Night Is Over," which I perform on the album with B.B., and I'm not sure about the other one right now.

Q. You're 70 now. In your shows, what can't you do anymore and what are you surprised you still can do?

Well, Ol' Father Time takes his toll on everybody, so I don't jump on the piano anymore, but I still kick and stomp pretty good, and my talent's still there and still strong.

Q. What's the pride you take in knowing you've got two, maybe three generations of fans?

I am proud that God has given me this talent and allowed me to continue to perform for so many years, but I'm particularly proud that I've been able to inspire several generations of musicians, that my older fans remain loyal and that I keep picking up younger ones.

Q. Who or what music do you listen to these days?

I listen to my own music -- I've recorded so many songs in all these years that I have to keep familiarizing myself with them to remember and to refine them.

Q. If you were to introduce someone to the great music of the past by picking ONE song each by Elvis, Perkins, Orbison, Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis, what songs would you pick?

Elvis -- "All Shook Up."

Carl -- "Blue Suede Shoes."

Roy -- "Pretty Woman."

Cash -- "Walk the Line."

Jerry Lee Lewis -- take your pick: "Whole Lotta Shakin'," "Great Balls of Fire" or "You Win Again."

Q. What's still out there that you want to accomplish, musically, personally, both?

Personally, I want to enjoy my life quietly here at my place with my daughter, Phoebe, and my dogs -- I sure don't want another wife. Musically, I just want to keep on recording and playing music. I don't plan to stop that!

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
16th April 2006 03:26 PM
Taptrick
I just downloaded a track off Itunes that has Jerry, Carl Perkins, and Elvis playing Chuck Berry's Brown-eyed handsome man. Funny stuff.

16th April 2006 11:35 PM
PeerQueer Sadly, the only thing really shaking with Jerry Lee these days is his palsy...
17th April 2006 07:04 AM
Break The Spell I got to see Jery Lee in 94 shortly before I saw the Stones on the VL tour. He just put out a new album at the time and it was a pretty good show.
17th April 2006 11:24 AM
FPM C10 What happened to "Evening Gown"??? Or are Mick and Woody not big enough stars to mention?

I was looking forward to hearing that.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)