ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Uri Geller
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones tour shock Return to archive
16th April 2006 01:39 AM
MarshallG From the Hearld Sun in Melbourne.

Don't shoot the messenger, just passing it on...

Stones tour shock
By NUI TE KOHA
15apr06

ROLLING Stones drummer Charlie Watts is to quit the global touring circuit in December.

Stones sources said Watts, 64, agreed to play a 2005-06 world tour on the condition frontman Mick Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards promised it was the last time.
"Charlie did not want to tour the latest album," a Stones insider said.

"Keith begged him to do it. It took a lot of negotiation. Charlie agreed if Keith promised he would not ask him to do another world tour."

Sources stressed Watts was not quitting the Stones, nor would he stop live performances.

But he had made it clear he planned to stop globe-hopping when the latest Stones tour, A Bigger Bang, wrapped in Hawaii in December.

Sources said Watts's health and family forced his decision. The drummer was treated for throat cancer last year. He underwent a minor operation and had six weeks of radiotherapy.

Jagger said the treatment left Watts feeling sapped of energy.

After his health scare, Watts has relished more time with wife Shirley and daughter Seraphina.

Last week, Watts's plan was corroborated by an LA music store owner and friend of Richards. And rock expert Glenn A. Baker said he spoke to Jagger during the 1994 Voodoo Lounge tour about Watts's future.

"One of the things Mick said to me, and he was very serious about this, is the Stones will end when Charlie quits," Baker said yesterday.

"Mick said the Stones would survive the loss of anybody, including Jagger himself, but it couldn't survive the loss of Charlie."

17th April 2006 10:16 AM
juggsy Could very well be, Charlie's supposedly the reason they didn't play around the Y2K. The way they're doing this tour on such a huge, globe hopping scale is almost like they are saying goodbye to each city and country they play. IMHO if not the last, certainly the last for a long time. I don't think we'll see them in 0'8-'09.
17th April 2006 11:15 AM
Stray Cat UK I think it's probably time .Their record as a touring band of some 43 years is untouchable.

Although still capable of a great rock n' roll show,there are cracks appearing in the "greatest rock n' roll band in the world ",but they are in their 60s!

It's been a fabulous ride whenever you jumped on as a fan (1979 in my case). I think I'll look into seeing more shows.
BUT....................................

If this turns out to be a marketing ploy.I'll never forgive them !
17th April 2006 11:26 AM
jb Pug has already planed seceral Pearl Jam shows and is making the trasition from the Stones...disappointing, but understandable(see Cohl/U2).
17th April 2006 11:30 AM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Pug has already planed seceral Pearl Jam shows and is making the trasition from the Stones...disappointing, but understandable(see Cohl/U2).

Due to unbearable low revenue during the spring/summer tour. I shall not attend any Stones shows outside of the US and shall attend 5-10 Pearl Jam shows via my Ten Club Membership while I wait for the Stones to return.....worry not...I shall contribute Thousands of Dollars once again to the Stones next fall with an ultimate goal of seeing the total sales for the final leg hit 174.5 million USD.
17th April 2006 12:10 PM
PeerQueer Pearl Jam is a highly respected replacement!

I too shall see many a PJ show.

Eddie and Co. is a wonderful band with considerable integrity!
17th April 2006 01:27 PM
Break The Spell I think its great that Mick and Keith agree that without Charlie, there's no Stones, so in a sense its up to him as when its time to say when. We've all got to enjoy them for different amounts of time depending on our age, as for me its been 20 years of being a fan. Believe it or not, its was "Dirty Work" that introduced me to the band and made me a fan.
17th April 2006 01:32 PM
jb Maybe now, the fucking critics/casual fans will recognize them for what they have accomplished....or probably not. Fuck 'enm all. I remeber in 1970 at the YMHA , at the age of 8, a cover band at the camp doing JJF...I was hooked then and saw my first show in 75...it's been a life changing experiecne and I am so glad I did this tour first class...I kind aknew this was it.....I hope we get some shows here in there after this tour is over, but I don't think so...the Stones machine is a large thing..as Keitrh says.it's bigger than all of us"..it would be very hard for them to pull back and scale down..it ain't happening.
17th April 2006 01:35 PM
The Wick This story seems like total nonsense. If this was true, why would he have said, I hope ABB does well because if it does, we'll do another one or words to that effect. They have said this forever, and it's always absolute rubbish.
17th April 2006 01:38 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
jb wrote:
Maybe now, the fucking critics/casual fans will recognize them for what they have accomplished....or probably not. Fuck 'enm all. I remeber in 1970 at the YMHA , at the age of 8, a cover band at the camp doing JJF...I was hooked then and saw my first show in 75...it's been a life changing experiecne and I am so glad I did this tour first class...I kind aknew this was it.....I hope we get some shows here in there after this tour is over, but I don't think so...the Stones machine is a large thing..as Keitrh says.it's bigger than all of us"..it would be very hard for them to pull back and scale down..it ain't happening.

I'd love nothing better than for The Rolling Stones to be given the proper credit and respect they deserve as great songwriters and musicians, but I fear that won't happen until after their gone. Right now, the media only focuses on their age and lesser important bands to write about and hype up. However, when history looks back on their career, NO ONE will be able to touch their legacy.
17th April 2006 01:39 PM
jb
quote:
The Wick wrote:
This story seems like total nonsense. If this was true, why would he have said, I hope ABB does well because if it does, we'll do another one or words to that effect. They have said this forever, and it's always absolute rubbish.

ABB has not done that well...and I said absent double platinim here, we were in trouble..and we onmly have 508k copies sold so far in US!!! Use any excuse out there, that is piss poor for a band of the Stones magnitude.
17th April 2006 01:40 PM
jb
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

I'd love nothing better than for The Rolling Stones to be given the proper credit and respect they deserve as great songwriters and musicians, but I fear that won't happen until after their gone. Right now, the media only focuses on their age and lesser important bands to write about and hype up. However, when history looks back on their career, NO ONE will be able to touch their legacy.

WOrd..........this brings tears to my eyes.
17th April 2006 01:45 PM
The Wick
quote:
jb wrote:

ABB has not done that well...and I said absent double platinim here, we were in trouble..and we onmly have 508k copies sold so far in US!!! Use any excuse out there, that is piss poor for a band of the Stones magnitude.

Yes, but I didn't really read that as meaning it would have to be huge for a new tour. Charlie always says things like this, and nothing ever happens. I know with the cancer and all that it might be different, but this story sounds dodgy. The guy is quoting the Voodoo Lounge period. I remember reading a British Airways magazine where he said he was quitting after No Security, but he came back again. The story just sounds patched together from a friend of a friend of a friend.
17th April 2006 01:46 PM
jb
quote:
The Wick wrote:

Yes, but I didn't really read that as meaning it would have to be huge for a new tour. Charlie always says things like this, and nothing ever happens. I know with the cancer and all that it might be different, but this story sounds dodgy. The guy is quoting the Voodoo Lounge period. I remember reading a British Airways magazine where he said he was quitting after No Security, but he came back again. The story just sounds patched together from a friend of a friend of a friend.

I pray you are right!!!
17th April 2006 03:01 PM
Steel Wheels This story is bogus. It's been going around for a long time.

Ten years from now when the Stones are rocking out at MSG, and we're all at their feet, remember this fake news story.

17th April 2006 03:30 PM
Gazza
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
I think its great that Mick and Keith agree that without Charlie, there's no Stones, so in a sense its up to him as when its time to say when.

read it again. The quote comes from the Voodoo Lounge tour (Glenn A Baker interviewed them in 1995). Prior to this tour when asked about that possibility, Mick and Keith both seemed to think somewhat differently.

Things have changed considerably in the last few years in the way they look at this band.
17th April 2006 03:36 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Gazza wrote:

read it again. The quote comes from the Voodoo Lounge tour (Glenn A Baker interviewed them in 1995). Prior to this tour when asked about that possibility, Mick and Keith both seemed to think somewhat differently.

Things have changed considerably in the last few years in the way they look at this band.

I realize the age of the article, but I really can't see them playing live with another drummer, despite what they may say. With Keith at least, I don't see it happening, the bond him and Charlie have had over the years is too tight.
17th April 2006 03:40 PM
nanatod "I really can't see them playing live with another drummer, despite what they may say."

Break, didn't Keith play with Steve Jordan in the expensive winos?
17th April 2006 03:43 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
nanatod wrote:
"I really can't see them playing live with another drummer, despite what they may say."

Break, didn't Keith play with Steve Jordan in the expensive winos?

Yes, but that was Keith's solo band, not the Stones!! I honestly can't see them going out with another drummer. Now Keith's solo band...different story!!
17th April 2006 03:46 PM
jb So, the reality is Charlie is done after this tour, and unless Keith changes his mind, no more Stones. Sadly, Charlie or not, the interest in the band has really declined this past 2 decades, most(not me) complain about ticket prices, and I for one, would never see a "Rolling Stones " show w/out Charlie Watts. Thus, for all practical purpose, it ends after Asia. It's been great, but U2/Bon Jovi will surpass the 44 years!!!!
17th April 2006 03:46 PM
nanatod Joey probably thinks that the Stones could (should?) tour with the younger Starkey.
17th April 2006 03:51 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
jb wrote:
and I for one, would never see a "Rolling Stones " show w/out Charlie Watts.

I never would either, without Charlie, it wouldn't be the Stones. If Mick and Keith want to tour in the future as a Plant/Page style thing, I could see that. Despite what they may have said, I think down deep they know if any one of the remaining three original members quits, then its truly over.
17th April 2006 05:05 PM
Steel Wheels The Stones withstand...

...EVERYTHING.

18th April 2006 01:40 AM
MarshallG
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
This story is bogus. It's been going around for a long time.

Ten years from now when the Stones are rocking out at MSG, and we're all at their feet, remember this fake news story.

You are probably right, Nui Te Koha is not Melbourne's 'leading' rock jurno. He usually handles pop music.

His 'Stones source' could have been anyone.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)