ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Uri Geller
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Stooges To Release First New LP In 30 Years Return to archive
15th April 2006 09:08 AM
Ten Thousand Motels The Stooges To Release First New LP In 30 Years

Produced By Steve Albini and Jack White....
by Chris Taylor on 4/15/2006
gigwise.com

Iggy Pop has confirmed The Stooges are releasing their first new record together for thirty years.

The seminal garage-rock back, who split in 1973 after an incredibly influential three-LP career, have been recording with Nirvana producer Steve Albini and The White Stripes’ Jack White.

Talking of the new recording sessions, Pop tells Reuters, “All the same passions and problems are there. But the problems are in a more muted style. I'm still the show-off in the group that gets all the attention. Everyone has their role. It's pretty much the way it was in high school.”

He adds the band have still tried to “experiment” with their sound.

He says, “We experimented a lot. We're stubborn people. We could have just started out and in 10 minutes we would have sounded like us, but that would have been too easy. We'd have these get-togethers every two or three months for four or five days and bang out stuff. As time went on, it started to sound more and more like us.”

The album should be released next year and will be supported by a full tour.

15th April 2006 09:13 AM
mac_daddy
i hope this album is gets them over big-time...

if i am not mistaken, this is a stooges album, which means the asheton brothers and watt are the band, not a conglomerate of different artists/backup bands like the skull rings album...

15th April 2006 09:39 AM
gimmekeef I just hope Shemp isnt on it......
15th April 2006 09:54 AM
GotToRollMe Iggy Pop is making new music with Stooges
Album from garage rock icons out next year, to be followed by tour

NEW YORK - Punk icon Iggy Pop says he has been holed up in "a little cottage in the boonies on a little river" in Florida writing music with his old band the Stooges. Yes, the much-talked about reunion record is finally happening.

The Stooges released only three albums between 1969 and 1973, before Pop went on to have a solo career.

He expects the album to come out next year on his solo-work label, Virgin Records. Steve Albini — whose numerous credits include albums by the Pixies, Nirvana and PJ Harvey — will produce, but the set also will include a package of songs produced by Jack White, frontman of the White Stripes and the Raconteurs and producer of Loretta Lynn's "Van Lear Rose."

The band also will plan its first full-blown reunion tour. To date, it has done only the festival circuit and one-offs. And Pop will be feted Monday when the Florida chapter of the Recording Academy presents the Recording Academy Honors 2006.

Q: What does the Florida chapter honor mean to you?

A: It's a peer group honor. It comes down to a nod to your work and your stature in the industry. It used to be called the Florida Heroes Awards. Wow, a Florida hero. That would be Mickey Mouse, the astronauts and me! It means a lot. I always felt guilty for not going to the Grammys more often.

Q: You moved from New York to Miami seven years ago. Do you miss New York?

A: I moved from there to an old house in Miami Beach, and things got too terribly groovy. There are birds here. I go to New York from time to time, and it's really exciting when I go. Miami's never been more than a spit from New York anyway.

Q: Hasn't New York changed a lot in the past 10 years?

A: It goes through phases. It seems to be in its prosperous phase right now. A lot of pod people. It's pure pod. Hey, that's OK, I'll swing a little pod.

Q: What's it like writing with the band again?

A: All the same passions and problems are there. But the problems are in a more muted style. I'm still the showoff in the group that gets all the attention. Everyone has their role. It's pretty much the way it was in high school.

Q: What direction are you going in musically?

A: We experimented a lot. We're stubborn people. We could have just started out and in 10 minutes we would have sounded like us, but that would have been too easy. We experimented a lot. We'd have these get-togethers every two or three months for four or five days and bang out stuff. As time went on, it started to sound more and more like us.

Q: Why reunite now?

A: I'd sort of run out of ideas. I ran through everything, all the permutations. I got to the point on my last (solo) record, "Skull Ring" (in 2003), where I just threw it open and did a guest-oriented album. I had resisted doing a Stooges reunion, but when I was putting "Skull Ring" together, the two brothers (Stooges founding members Ron and Scott Asheton) were getting really active on the road playing Stooges songs. Suddenly they were in sight and in mind. I thought, "If I'm going to try a couple tracks with Green Day, why not get the original band?"
----------------------------------------------------------

"It's pure pod. Hey, that's OK, I'll swing a little pod."
15th April 2006 10:02 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Thanks g2rm, good find/post. Not exactly Howard Carter but close enough.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
15th April 2006 10:20 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
I just hope Shemp isnt on it......

Image hosting by Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------
"It's pure pod. Hey, that's OK, I'll swing a little pod."

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
15th April 2006 01:34 PM
PeerQueer Awesome!

Iggy is amazing - badass mo-fo.

Punk to the bone!
15th April 2006 07:43 PM
Factory Girl Hey, I just watched Avenue B live dvd, which is FANTASTIC!!!

You all know that I love my boy Iggy--any new music is most welcome. However, I still say that "Avenue B" cd is his best music in 10-15 years.

FG!

16th April 2006 10:23 PM
Sir Stonesalot I think it's just a matter of personal taste FG. I like the Avenue B DVD just fine. But that Iggy & The Stooges Live In Detroit DVD is more up my alley.

The Trolls are a good, tight band. But they have some very Metal leanings. That's not really my thing. I'm more of a Garage guy...so I prefer the sloppy mayhem that is The Stooges.

I can't wait for this new record. Man, what a summer. New Neil, new Dolls, new Stooges...HOT DAMN!
17th April 2006 08:55 AM
Break The Spell This sounds very promising, I like the list of people involved in this new album as well. I recently got re-issues of their first two albums, incredible sound. Iggy's stage antics are still there after all these years.
17th April 2006 08:58 AM
speedfreakjive Raw Power....

nuff said
17th April 2006 09:02 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Q: Why reunite now?

A: I'd sort of run out of ideas.

Word!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)