ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Uri Geller
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A bit of California history Return to archive Page: 1 2
16th April 2006 02:42 PM
Taptrick I'm not sure why you quoted my response as I didn't see the relevance. Mexico is very anxious to allow money into the country. Can't blame them. That makes good economic sense. The issues is that Mexican government and culture is complaining about American immigration laws when Mexican laws are more restrictive and punishing than American ones....especially in dealing with Mexico's southern border.

[Edited by Taptrick]
16th April 2006 02:48 PM
Taptrick
Gorda, I would suggest you try to make your points without being condescending. I never said Mexico was run by poor peasant Indians. What I said is that Mexican immigration laws are more restrictive, consequential, and punishing than American immigration laws. Who is running the Mexican government is irrelevant to that fact.

16th April 2006 02:52 PM
pdog This is a very personal topic to Gorda. There's been about 4 or 5 new threads all relating to this topic started by Gorda.
All I'm saying, is we all have meotional political points, and I can respect that. Like I hate Saudi Arabia, and would love to see that country made in my image of the world. Sex, drugs and rock and roll.
16th April 2006 06:43 PM
PeerQueer I have been informed by reliable sources that Gorda is very hot...
17th April 2006 12:02 AM
Stonesthrow
quote:
gorda wrote:

Oh! Puh-leeze!

I'm merely pointing out that the Anglo Californians of today who are complaining about all this illegal immigration, yet they are descendents of people who once came here ILLEGALLY! And, they didn't come here to work for less than minimum wage, they came here to take over the land!

AFAIK, at the time to which you refer, there were no laws against immigration. Therefore, no illegal immigration. Of course, there was the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882. That law was to keep the Chinese out of the country so they couldn't be used as cheap labor to build the railroads. Not the sort to be "taking over the land" though. The really ironic part of your post is that you seem to label the people who came here to take over the land as Anglo (presumably Cortez, Pizarro, etc.). However, the people who came to conquer were mostly Spanish or Portugese, i.e. Hispanic. A definition of Hispanic includes "Persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race."
www.unr.edu/vpaf/hr/affaction/terms.html. I assume the term "other Spanish culture" would include Spain.

Maybe the anti-immigrationists are onto something. Would you happen to know if these current Hispanic immigrants (legal or otherwise) are coming to this country to "take over the land?"

No immigration laws were harmed in the making of this post.

[Edited by Stonesthrow]
17th April 2006 12:21 AM
gorda The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo promised to protect "property of every kind" belonging to the Mexican people. This included the huge rancho lands, but the American settlers "settled" on the these lands without permission. In other words, they were squattors. When the Mexicans tried to remove them, the squattors sometimes struck back using force!

(e.g. The Peralta family who owned most of the eastern shore of San Francisco Bay, had it's trees cut down and cattle killed. One day the squatters blocked the doors to the Peralta home, and the frightened family was forced to leave! )
17th April 2006 12:28 AM
gorda Actually, the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 was passed AFTER the railroad had been built.

The transcontinental railroad that connected the East Coast with the West Coast was completed on May 10, 1869.

And, the Chinese did built it!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)