ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1975 Bob Gruen (?)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Biggest Rock n Roll Myths Return to archive
April 15th, 2005 11:35 AM
Zeeta Best part of this blog:

"That Elvis Presley was the King of Rock'n'Roll rather than merely an all-round family entertainer who performed such non-rock'n'roll classics as 'Wooden Heart' at cabaret venues in Las Vegas."

Anyway...

The greatest rock'n'roll myths.

The Observer

1 'Mama' Cass choking on a sandwich

2 Marilyn Manson starring in 'The Wonder Years'

3 The Beatles' spliff in Buckingham Palace

4 Keef's blood transfusion

5 Stevie Nicks having cocaine blown up her bum

6 Robert Johnson's pact with the Devil

7 Jacko and the Elephant Man

8 Sid checks in at Heathrow

9 Richey Edwards lives

10 Led Zep and the mud shark

Here are some of your many, many suggestions

Good list but here's two more that should have been included:

1. The alleged 'Gross out' contest when it's claimed that Frank Zappa and Wild Man Fischer ate each other's shit on stage. Zappa denies this in his autobiography, asking 'what the fuck is a gross out contest, anyway?'

2. That Elvis Presley was the King of Rock'n'Roll rather than merely an all-round family entertainer who performed such non-rock'n'roll classics as 'Wooden Heart' at cabaret venues in Las Vegas.
Lawson Skuse, by email

You already include a Keef myth in your 10, but you could have included his claim that when the Stones visited the Chess studios in the Sixties, Muddy Waters was painting the ceiling dressed in paint-spattered overalls.

As Marshall Chess has pointed out, Muddy was too sharp a dresser to be seen in painting overalls, and Bill Wyman has confirmed that Muddy merely helped them to carry their guitars into the studios.
John Fyfe, by email

The real rock myth is that you have to take heroin to be cool or creative. Most die, the rest suffer; It's all a lie.
Ruba Say, by email

April 15th, 2005 11:40 AM
Gazza I thought the Led Zep story was supposed to be true.

Same with Sid Vicious' ashes being accidentally spilled on the tarmac at Heathrow

The guy who made the Elvis post is an ill-informed fucking prick (and also, its totally factually innacurate. He never played 'wooden heart' anyway, so there)

(BTW the Stones have played Las Vegas hotels, written soppy ballads and whored themselves out to private parties for billionaires and multi-national corporations and sold their music for advertising. But name me a better 'rock n roll' band.)
[Edited by Gazza]
April 15th, 2005 12:35 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
... but you could have included his claim that when the Stones visited the Chess studios in the Sixties, Muddy Waters was painting the ceiling dressed in paint-spattered overalls.

As Marshall Chess has pointed out, Muddy was too sharp a dresser to be seen in painting overalls, and Bill Wyman has confirmed that Muddy merely helped them to carry their guitars into the studios.

That's what Stephen Davis says in "Old gods, almost dead".

I wanna add The myth that Kiss has walked over little chickens on stage! That's a myth... Isn't it?
April 15th, 2005 03:08 PM
Surround Sister So now Stephen Davis is the ultimate source.
Ok, his book Old Gods Almost Dead is pretty correct & well disposed in its structure.

What about the Myth of Charlie smashing Mick in a plate full of smoked salmon, something Keef smilingly told the world-press next day (You know: the-I´m-not-your-drummer...- -You-are-my-fockin-Singer!-story)... Lst I heard of it t´was a pure myth. But I dont know.

And I´m sure ol´ Muddy was very relaxed at 2120 S. Michigan Av. - painting or not.

But its tough sh*t; Save the myths or crush them?
[Edited by Surround Sister]
April 15th, 2005 05:15 PM
Poplar
quote:
Surround Sister wrote:
Old Gods Almost Dead

That's my fav Stones book. I Love it.
April 15th, 2005 10:46 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
I wanna add The myth that Kiss has walked over little chickens on stage! That's a myth... Isn't it?

I don't know if the story is a myth...
April 15th, 2005 11:08 PM
BILL PERKS charlie did indeed hit mick at band meetingsin amsterdam october 1984
April 15th, 2005 11:15 PM
telecaster
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
charlie did indeed hit mick at band meetingsin amsterdam october 1984

Bill- CAPS PLEASE, WE CAN'T HEAR YOU WHEN YOU WHISPER
April 15th, 2005 11:21 PM
mac_daddy something about rod stewart and a farm animal..?
April 15th, 2005 11:31 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! The Charlie and Mick thing is absolutly true. By the way, whoever the fuck wrote that about Elvis knows as much about rock'n roll history as my 2 year old, fucking idiot!
God bless the king of rock'n roll!
April 15th, 2005 11:36 PM
KeepRigid Actually, he played it once in `75 and that guy is still a prick.
April 16th, 2005 05:54 AM
beer i thought the Zep story was true too. The Edgewater here in Seattle?
maybe i shouild call the front desk and ask about any reported history of sodomy with sea life.
-
[Edited by beer]
April 16th, 2005 07:23 AM
The Eggman WHat about the myth with Rod Stewart and a bunch of sailors, and involving the other kind of semen
April 16th, 2005 07:26 AM
beer I been walkin central park, after dark, Oh I myth You!

%%%%%%%
April 16th, 2005 08:26 AM
Back Street Girl The Beatles Were A Good Band.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour