ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1975 Bob Gruen (?)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick drunk on Handsome Girls Return to archive
April 14th, 2005 02:03 PM
Mel Belli "Shat-TUHD" ... "You know that part that goes 'Shidoobee'? 'SHIDOOBEE!' ... Maybe I'll get some help from Keith."

Priceless.
April 14th, 2005 02:23 PM
J.J.Flash Mick was on fire back at those days......I love him shouting at almost every gig....
April 14th, 2005 02:30 PM
nankerphelge Or the part where he tries to introduce the "piano players" -- man does he sound out of it.
April 14th, 2005 02:36 PM
Mel Belli Great as those days were, would you guys agree that without today's "Professional Mick," the band probably wouldn't have been able to keep its shite together? ...

Stones' longevity ... all about trade-offs. Still, couldn't we trade *in* Ronnie?

(In all seriousness, I hope his latest "tune-up" goes well...)
April 14th, 2005 03:37 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Great as those days were, would you guys agree that without today's "Professional Mick," the band probably wouldn't have been able to keep its shite together? ...

Stones' longevity ... all about trade-offs. Still, couldn't we trade *in* Ronnie?

(In all seriousness, I hope his latest "tune-up" goes well...)

Agreed little fella!

And "blame" Charlie too. Charlie is playing better than ever.

"Charlie is good tonight, isn't he Ronnie?"

Starsky!

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
April 14th, 2005 04:46 PM
lotsajizz '78 was a big cocaine tour
April 14th, 2005 04:48 PM
Jair
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
'78 was a big cocaine tour

That's why it was so good.
Look also the songs they made that year...
April 14th, 2005 06:43 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Jair wrote:

Yeah, freebasing did Ronnie a lot of good. He's never really recovered.
[Edited by Mel Belli]
April 14th, 2005 07:13 PM
Dan I think that show is more the exception than the rule. Most of the shows I heard were just plain awful. Not just talking about sound quality either.
April 14th, 2005 07:35 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Jair wrote:

No. The best shows were great...but '78 had some of their worst--just piece of shit shows were Mick was barely coherant and Keith was even worse. And myths be damned, cocaine was THE reason!! BTW, those songs played in '78 whose debut you rightfully celebrate were almost all written and recorded in '77
April 14th, 2005 10:31 PM
Soldatti I love the '78 tour, all the band was on fire. We need a good DVD of that year.
April 14th, 2005 11:44 PM
texile those shows are interesting.......the fucked-up tour.
keith was facing jail and just getting off junk, and mick was in the middle of a divorce - alot of shit was hitting the fan and the shows have that frenetic, desparate feel - but strangely enough, it heightened the intensity of the performances.............mick sounds like he's possesed on miss you and shattered.
April 15th, 2005 01:18 AM
corgi37 Actually, and i have long thought this, i reckon Mick is on maximum "punk" in that era. He's really putting on the accent and acting sloppy. I aint saying he wasnt totally straight, but he seems so much more Cockney than he was in, say, 76. Trying to counter the "too old, too rich" shit he and others were copping at the time. Was he trying to out punk the punks?

Mick has always been an actor.

I have Garden State 78 on glorious tape. I love his reference to the Singapore fans and how he likes playing in that place as opposed to the usual barns. The accent he adopts is so weird!

April 15th, 2005 02:23 AM
padre Yeah, the cocaine tour sure has energy, but I really do prefer Mick's recent vocals to that -78 shouting and growling.
The worst gig from The Stones I've heard is the 1979 benefit gig for the blind. I wanna hide under my sofa in the intro of Starfucker. The boys are soooooo wasted.
April 15th, 2005 03:08 AM
UGot2Rollme I agree with Corgi that Mick was playing a bit of a punk persona on that tour (wasn't all drugs). There was also alot of drinking - always a bottle of Rebel Yell or Jack being passed around the stage. Mick was sick in Philly and he had a healthy dose of whisky that day - you can hear it in his voice/growl.
April 15th, 2005 06:16 AM
marko Ah what a tour,half of it was brilliant,the other half,utter shit.Best shows were
Washingon
New york
Detroit
chicago
oakland
ft.worth

IF U wanna hear worst show of the tour,Thats probaply
Boulder,july 16th,recording of the show is incomplete,starts from middle of beast of burden.This show
has the RAPE version of satisfaction,it doesn´t get ANY
uglier.
Sloppiest shows of their career were Munster-1976.
April 15th, 2005 07:44 AM
exile is this Cd downloadable?
April 15th, 2005 07:58 AM
marko which one u mean? boulder-78,not yet,quality is below
average,but u can hear how shitty it was,still is,as an
performance.I just send few 78 for Mac daddy to be shared in torrent......
April 15th, 2005 09:14 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
texile wrote:
those shows are interesting.......the fucked-up tour.
keith was facing jail and just getting off junk, and mick was in the middle of a divorce - alot of shit was hitting the fan and the shows have that frenetic, desparate feel - but strangely enough, it heightened the intensity of the performances.............mick sounds like he's possesed on miss you and shattered.

I love this fiction that Keith quit drugs altogether after he stopped using heroin. That story about telling the dealers to buzz off, the incredulous looks on their faces was his new high? Er, I don't think so. ... Yet more of Keith's self-produced mythology.
April 15th, 2005 08:22 PM
texile the punks definately lit a fire under jagger's perfumed ass...........in a great way -
the whole band had that raw edge; this tour was my introduction to the stones through the king biscuit flower/flour hour
what the fuck is the RAPE version of satisfaction?
April 15th, 2005 08:25 PM
texile true mel - keith is the author of his own mythology -
and most of it is bullshit, ot deluded fantasy........
ahh, but we love the guy.
April 15th, 2005 10:14 PM
Vinyl kills That New York show rulezzzzzz

On the subject of junk, when did Keith full on quit smack?
April 16th, 2005 02:28 AM
marko "rape" version of satisfaction,is they did actually rape their own song,,,,,,,,its awful,ugly.
April 16th, 2005 09:26 AM
Poplar this is the tour i have a tough time with. love 72/75/81/82 ... not big on the 77.

that said, Handsome Girls is very nice.
[Edited by Poplar]
April 16th, 2005 10:33 AM
corgi37 And how's this for coincidence! I downl...

...er, "acquired" Handsome Girls tonight. Havent played it yet, but will do so in the morning.
April 16th, 2005 05:54 PM
egon i was drunk on a handsome girl once.
April 16th, 2005 09:13 PM
LadyJane Handsome Girls Disc 3 is outstanding. When HG is played you KNOW LJ is going to get ripped. HG is played a lot!!!

LJ.
April 17th, 2005 09:27 AM
corgi37 I think i got disc 1. Still havent heard it yet (i'm busy, ya know!).
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour