ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1975 Bob Gruen (?)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Help - CD Burning Question (nsc) Return to archive
April 14th, 2005 08:44 AM
Jumping Jack I have been burning CDs with Nero and sometimes the rip times slow to a crawl and take up to an hour to complete. I can rip this same CD in Windows Media Player in a few minutes, so this is a software not a hardware issue.

If I burn in Windows Media Player I think it converts to .wma format. Is this a problem? Does it keep the same quality? Any particular options I should be choosing? Would anyone get upset if they got a CD burned with WMP? Should I rip with WMP and burn in Nero?

Any thoughts on what's up with Nero and why it sometimes slows to 25KB/sec when ripping?

Thanks for your help.
April 14th, 2005 10:07 AM
egon what do you mean by rip?

you mean

you copy the cd 1 on 1?
or you put music from a cd onto your pc and burn it later?
or you convert to mp3 before burning?

plse explain a bit more.

you can copy a cd 2 ways. back it up on your harddrive
and then burn (good for a slow/old pc's)
or copy on the fly (directly from one disc to the other)

however in principal the time it takes, should always be
the same.

btw windows meadiaplayer is good for playing files,
but shit for anything else...
[Edited by egon]
April 14th, 2005 10:14 AM
Jumping Jack To rip is to copy.

In Nero I copy to hard drive, then burn back to CD.

In Windows Media Player I use the rip function to copy to the hard drive. I then burn to CD. There are many options within WMP including the default of Windows Media Audio, Windows Media Audio (variable bit rate), and Windows Media Audio Lossless. MP3 are also an option, but I know that looses quality. Sound leveling is also an option.

I am looking for some advice from people who have used WMP.

Thanks.

April 14th, 2005 10:16 AM
J.J.Flash When it comes to quality as well as lack of it... ask Mac Daddy, he can answer everything.

"Knowledgeable indeed Ronnie"
April 14th, 2005 10:18 AM
egon strange that it sometimes takes longer...
is your pc (fairly) new? and/or do you do other things with it while burning?

try to copy on the fly, wich with a decent pc should not be a problem. i can burn at 32x this way, without errors.

(ps, i edited my original post)

April 14th, 2005 09:53 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I have been burning CDs with Nero and sometimes the rip times slow to a crawl and take up to an hour to complete. I can rip this same CD in Windows Media Player in a few minutes, so this is a software not a hardware issue.

If I burn in Windows Media Player I think it converts to .wma format. Is this a problem? Does it keep the same quality? Any particular options I should be choosing? Would anyone get upset if they got a CD burned with WMP? Should I rip with WMP and burn in Nero?

Any thoughts on what's up with Nero and why it sometimes slows to 25KB/sec when ripping?

Thanks for your help.

do NOT use windows media player to rip.

wma = windows proprietary mp3

if you do not want to lose anything ("lossless") then you must rip to WAV (or aiff if using a mac)

i recommend using EAC. it is THE defacto ripper. infact in many trading circles, if the source is a rip from a CD, then it must be documented with an EAC log (genereated each time the program rips a disc). EAC is a bit of a burden to install, but once that is done, it will provide rock solid performance, along with speed, efficiency, and reliability. the good thing is that the documentation re: setup and use is informative and easy to access. all the info is on the website...

oh, EAC is free to use, and a has a fully functioning burning component, as well. AND it reads *.cue sheets (which nero does not).

[soapbox] in the name of quality, if you are ripping and seeding sources, you should ONLY be using EAC [/soapbox]...

April 14th, 2005 10:07 PM
corgi37 I have no hassles, and my computer is from the dinosaur age.

I just copy to hard disk as wav and burn onto blank.

Or, if i have to convert mp3 to wav or use that Alto thing.

Easy.
April 14th, 2005 10:22 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I have no hassles, and my computer is from the dinosaur age.

I just copy to hard disk as wav and burn onto blank.

Or, if i have to convert mp3 to wav or use that Alto thing.

Easy.

right, but if you dont use eac, you dont KNOW that the wav written on your harddrive is EXACTLY the same as what is on the CD. that is why those standalone burner/copiers are brutal on trees and such, because a few of these anomalies add up to audibe pops, clicks, gaps, etc...

April 15th, 2005 06:10 AM
Jumping Jack Thanks for the info macdaddy. I will give your recommendations a try.

Do you know if the lossless otion in WMP10 is really as bad as mp3? The file sizes are 25-30MB each for a +/- 4 min track.

Any idea on why Nero sometimes slows to a crawl ripping CDs but not DVDs? Anything special about CDs? Driver problems perhaps?
April 15th, 2005 08:20 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Thanks for the info macdaddy. I will give your recommendations a try.

anytime (you know that)

quote:
Do you know if the lossless otion in WMP10 is really as bad as mp3? The file sizes are 25-30MB each for a +/- 4 min track.

no i do not. i amsure that they are better quality than mp3 - the bigger the filesize, the less loss that occurs. but ripping to WAV is the only way to ensure that the exact waveform is written to your harddrive - it is either exact, or it is lossy.

quote:
Any idea on why Nero sometimes slows to a crawl ripping CDs but not DVDs? Anything special about CDs? Driver problems perhaps?

brand of CD perhaps... CD might be rated at slower speed, too. your burner could be about to go, too... but i am just guessing with these tings...
April 15th, 2005 08:28 AM
Jumping Jack It seems to happen with on both an old Toshiba reader and a new Sony burner. The strange thing is that WMP rips w/o problem (before converting to .wma) so it is something related to Nero. It could be the media type. It seems limited to a particular batch of Who boots I have gotten from one person. The CDs have a label on them so I can't read the manufacturer. I will do a bit more research on the media manufacturer.

I will try to download the EAC software tonight when I get the time.
April 15th, 2005 10:14 PM
jpenn11
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
EAC is a bit of a burden to installl

A "bit of a burden"? It's been months . . .

(While my VCR doesn't read 12:00, my computer clock would, if I had to set the computer clock.)
April 15th, 2005 10:20 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

A "bit of a burden"? It's been months . . .

(While my VCR doesn't read 12:00, my computer clock would, if I had to set the computer clock.)

huh..? you have been trying for months..? send me an email - i'll get you up and running in no time...
April 16th, 2005 12:18 PM
mac_daddy this page should help you along...
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour