ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1975 Bob Gruen (?)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Noel Gallager bashes Stones ticket prices Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
April 13th, 2005 07:19 PM
Dan
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Therefore to bitch about it does me no good. We collectively as fans can piss and moan all we want,but it ain't gonna change the prices.

I paid $75 for a $330 seat last tour

quote:

So the way I look at it is that I will pay for last chance to see the Stones live. Because I know that in the very near future the opportunity will be gone forever. I'd say it's safe bet that once they are gone we won't be bitching about ticket prices.

Some of us might if we didn't have the money to catch the
show because tickets were so expensive

quote:

We will be bitching because we won't have the chance to see them again for any price. And while I agree with you 100% that the prices are not very rock and roll,no one can deny that the Stones are the very epitome of rock and roll,and their closing the curtain for good sooner rather than later. That fact alone tells me that once again I will be saving my money to see them this one last time.

I sure wouldn't want to deny the fans who want to see them one last tour but I am still not all that excited this time around (it was only the theatre show that got me excited in the first place last time) and it wouldn't bother me one bit if the band retroactively declared Lics the last tour
April 13th, 2005 07:41 PM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Look I'm not trying to justify the outrageous prices that the Stones are certainly going to be charging. They have made a habit of it lately so at this point it's all rather old hat to me. It sucks to be sure,but I have no problem facing up to the fact that this is highly likely to be their last tour. Therefore to bitch about it does me no good. We collectively as fans can piss and moan all we want,but it ain't gonna change the prices. So the way I look at it is that I will pay for last chance to see the Stones live. Because I know that in the very near future the opportunity will be gone forever. I'd say it's safe bet that once they are gone we won't be bitching about ticket prices. We will be bitching because we won't have the chance to see them again for any price. And while I agree with you 100% that the prices are not very rock and roll,no one can deny that the Stones are the very epitome of rock and roll,and their closing the curtain for good sooner rather than later. That fact alone tells me that once again I will be saving my money to see them this one last time.

Riffhard

I personally wont be bitching about not seeing the Stones again when it comes.. As a fan, I've done pretty well to see 34 shows down the years. I dont NEED to see them again, although I'd like to. I chose to follow this band when I was about 15. I've done pretty well to get over a quarter of a century of doing so, considering most people thought even back THEN they wouldnt be around for much longer. So, using that perspective, I've no complaints if and when they do decide to stop touring.

I half-agree with you about the Stones being the "epitome of rock n roll". They sure used to be. While I still love their live shows, what they stand for now (if they stand for anything) bears little or no relation to 'rock 'n' roll'.

They seem more intent on appealing to some kind of elitist fan base whose quality (in their eyes) is solely defined by their income and how deep their pockets are.
April 13th, 2005 08:10 PM
glencar LOL That's only Joshy who thinks like that!
April 13th, 2005 08:11 PM
Soldatti Years ago the expectation for Stones tours was: "When".
Now is "How much will cost?"
A sad change of perspective.
April 13th, 2005 08:16 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I personally wont be bitching about not seeing the Stones again when it comes.. As a fan, I've done pretty well to see 34 shows down the years. I dont NEED to see them again, although I'd like to. I chose to follow this band when I was about 15. I've done pretty well to get over a quarter of a century of doing so, considering most people thought even back THEN they wouldnt be around for much longer. So, using that perspective, I've no complaints if and when they do decide to stop touring.

I half-agree with you about the Stones being the "epitome of rock n roll". They sure used to be. While I still love their live shows, what they stand for now (if they stand for anything) bears little or no relation to 'rock 'n' roll'.

They seem more intent on appealing to some kind of elitist fan base whose quality (in their eyes) is solely defined by their income and how deep their pockets are.

I hear ya Gazza. I tend to agree with your points much more than these posts may suggest. I too have seen them thirty or so times and will cherish those memories forever. While I may not bitch about them calling quits either,I will miss the buzz that surrounds the hype of a new tour etc. Plus it will be a very bittersweet moment for me when I see them for the last time on this tour. Because,I feel that this will certainly be The Last Time so to speak. Maybe some extended dates at different venues every now and again,but as for a major tour? Forget it. That bit is ending soon. Real soon I'm afraid.

So,next question. Will I be seeing you in NYC this fall?! LOL!

Riffhard
April 13th, 2005 08:17 PM
glencar I don't like the high prices either but I do like those times when the scalpers take a hard hit & end up almost giving away $150 tix for one tenth the price. BTW Due to real life, I won't see as many concerts this tour as last time. If NYC is held at Shea Stadium, I probably won't bother. Frankly, it's MSG or home for me.
April 13th, 2005 09:23 PM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
So,next question. Will I be seeing you in NYC this fall?! LOL!

Riffhard

see Glencar's post above re: size of concert venues.
Same applies for me, only he has to travel about 30 miles to Shea Stadium and not 3,000. LOL
April 13th, 2005 10:39 PM
Mel Belli The first Stones tour I was old enough to see was in '89, and tickets cost $28.50. This is America. We keep a good chokehold on inflation. ... Let's liberally estimate that in today's money, that'd be $60.

Now, forget how commonplace tiered ticket-pricing has become, how unremarkable it's become for acts like Streisand, the Eagles, McCartney and Madonna to guage this country's vast middle- and upper-middle classes.

My question is: Are Stones shows -- increasingly shorter in length, played in fewer and fewer American cities -- worth inherently more than they were 16 years ago?
April 13th, 2005 11:35 PM
Madafaka I could pay anything to see them on stage!
April 13th, 2005 11:40 PM
Taptrick
THE LEGACY OF OASIS WILL BE:

whaaaaa whaaaaa whaaaaaaa whhaaaaaaaaaaaaa whhaaaaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa wha wha wha wha wha wha wha wha wha whhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa whaa whaaa whaaaa whaaa whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa wha wha wha wha

what a couple of depressing negative morons. The sex offenders in my treatment groups whine less than they do.

[Edited by Taptrick]
April 14th, 2005 12:10 AM
BILL PERKS MICK LIKES TO JERK HIMSELF OFF WITH THE BUSINESS SIDE OF IT..I BET COHL WAS OUT OF HIS MIND DURING NO SECURITY THAT NO STADIUMS WERE PLAYED...I WILL NOT,REPEAT WILL NOT, SEE ANOTHER STADIUM SHOW.I WILL,HOWEVER PAY TOP DOLLAR TO SEE THE STONES AGAIN AT MSG OR SMALLER VENUE..WORTH EVERY PENNY..HOW CAN ANYONE UNDERSTAND WHAT THOSE MANCHESTER BOYS SAY ANYWAY..THE KINGS ENGLISH MAN!
April 14th, 2005 04:11 AM
Moonisup well, for once in his life Noel is right
April 14th, 2005 05:00 AM
HomerJRichards I paid $60 Aus to see the Stones at Enmore, & $500 in airfares to Sydney from Perth, doh
April 14th, 2005 05:09 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Very sad, but very true. The '60s or '70s Stones are worlds apart with the Stones mid '80s and onwards. I bet they still love what they're doing - most of the time - but seeing them overestimating the financial factor to such extent is just depressing.

And perhaps that's one of the reasons (if not THE reason) why we don't get to hear any good sounds from them lately. Where should the inspiration come from? They've been there, done that. There's some kind of cynicism in there.

I've only seen them two times, one in Greece and one in Italy and I'll be heartbroken when they finally call it quits, but yes, Noel said something right for once.
April 14th, 2005 09:16 AM
Factory Girl I've seen Iggy Pop for $5, $20 and $25-and he puts on a fantastic show!!

The Stones charge a lot b/cause they can-its a basic economic principle of supply & demand.

Oasis is a non-issue.
April 14th, 2005 09:25 AM
Joey

Beatles ( read : MACCA ) .....

Stones .....

WHO .......

All three ' artistes ' are worth $ 300.00 ticket prices .

Word !
April 14th, 2005 09:51 AM
Honky Tonk Man As usual, the great Noel Gallagher is right.

April 14th, 2005 11:29 AM
Joey
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
As usual, the great Noel Gallagher is right.

You make Joey sad .
April 14th, 2005 11:58 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Joey wrote:

You make Joey sad .

<==============
April 14th, 2005 12:02 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Joey wrote:

You make Joey sad .

Well i'ts not intentional, but there are certain facts the young Joey needs to face up too. The Petey likes Oasis and Zak Starkey looksd FABULOUS in the new Oasis video for Lyla
April 14th, 2005 12:07 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:

You make Joey sad .

I would like to see Noel join season two of Spike TV's Ultimate Fighter! lets settle their problems in the octagon
April 14th, 2005 05:25 PM
Gazza
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I've seen Iggy Pop for $5, $20 and $25-and he puts on a fantastic show!!

The Stones charge a lot b/cause they can-its a basic economic principle of supply & demand.

if anything it's an even more basic combination of ego and naked greed on one hand and desperation and stupidity on the other IMO
April 14th, 2005 05:34 PM
Dan I tend to look at the Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam and Tom Petty ticket prices to see what it costs to put on a show and still make the band a nice profit.
April 14th, 2005 10:26 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Well i'ts not intentional, but there are certain facts the young Joey needs to face up too. The Petey likes Oasis and Zak Starkey looksd FABULOUS in the new Oasis video for Lyla

The video is cool but the song... (hands down)
April 14th, 2005 10:34 PM
corgi37 I agree ticket prices are outrageous, but try living here! The Eagles charged over $500 for the good seats, and i might add, played 5 times the amount of shows the Stones did (same venues too!).

I paid $700 for 2 8th row floor seats. I would have paid $1,000. Frankly, i would have paid anything. Unlike most of you, i have only seen them twice. If i had seen them 34 times, i wouldnt even bother to tell you the truth. I personally hope they do a stadium tour here, but really, really doubt it. I want so badly for my wife to experience the granduer, after she experienced the relative intimacy of LICKS (and got to touch hands with Ronnie, Keith & Charlie!! the bitch!). With fuel prices the way they are, they will not come here. Full stop. Unless the promoter agrees to take a real risk and pay them higher fees.

The Stones have got away with it for so long, they know no other way to stage a tour. It might bite them on the ass one day, but then, that will be too late. They will blame weather, Soccer, Iraq - you name it.

BTW, i know they havent said this is the last tour, but come on, it is. Well, the last tour as we have come to know it anyway. There will never be another cd of new stuff. I doubt very, very much they will ever be offered another record deal. Unless, its just a 1 off deal. Their back catalogue isnt worth anywhere near other artists like Beatles, Led Zep, maybe Doors still, maybe Hendrix - and what record company (not that many are left anymore) would wait 8 years between releases?

Nup, this is it. If by some miracle they do tour here, i will allow them to literally empty my accounts, max my credit cards, raid my kids piggy banks, do the wife, and tip me upside down and shake me.

I WILL be there. (Close up, as in Wayne's World) Oh, yes, i WILL be there.
April 14th, 2005 10:36 PM
corgi37 Oh, and i didnt mean to give the impression i went and saw the Eagles.

I would never be so insane. But, alot of people did.

Bette Midler is charging a fortune too! But, the gays that are going can afford it. The "pink" dollar never runs out.
April 15th, 2005 12:29 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Bitch! Bitch! Bitch!
It's only money. Easy come, Easy go.
But $500 for the Eagles is a bit much. But the Eagles suffer from delusions of granduer anyway. As far as people actually paying that....well ...the old PT Barnum adage come to mind. There's a sucker born every minute.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
April 15th, 2005 12:56 AM
corgi37 I agree. But, a hell of a lot of suckers did. At a guess, i'd say the Eagles tour last year was the biggest of the year. In Oz, i mean.

April 15th, 2005 07:35 AM
exile If Oasis had any talent or a hit record people might pay $190 for a ticket to one of their shows

fortunatley oasis have neither
April 15th, 2005 07:41 AM
exile
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
There will never be another cd of new stuff. I doubt very, very much they will ever be offered another record deal. Unless, its just a 1 off deal. Their back catalogue isnt worth anywhere near other artists like Beatles, Led Zep, maybe Doors still, maybe Hendrix

Corgi Im just curious what makes you think Led Zep, Doors, Hendrix back catalog sell more than the stones?

The Beatles I can see...surely the stones back catalog sell a lot more than Led zep and hendrix, Doors.(all great artists BTW)
Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour