ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1975 Bob Gruen (?)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Noel Gallager bashes Stones ticket prices Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
April 13th, 2005 03:23 PM
Poplar
love him or hate him - he has a point. this is out of some UK paper, btw.

-----

OASIS KEEPING IT CHEAP

OASIS star NOEL GALLAGER has attacked rock contemporaries U2 and THE ROLLING STONES for ripping off fans who see them perform live.

The WONDERWALL band are about to embark on a summer (05) tour to promote their forthcoming album DON'T BELIEVE THE TRUTH - and are determined to keep ticket prices low, so ordinary fans can afford to see them perform.

But Gallagher is angry other bands charge up to $190 (GBP100) for tickets.

He says, "It saddens me when I see bands like the Stones and U2 charging so much. They don't need the f**king money."

April 13th, 2005 03:27 PM
Mel Belli Rightly so. ...
April 13th, 2005 03:32 PM
J.J.Flash Well...one of the most hated human beings by J.J.Flash....anyway....surely he's got a point.
April 13th, 2005 03:33 PM
Snappy McJack Well, I see it this way. He is correct, yet the Stones get people to buy them; if people are gonna keep buying them, it all goes back to square one and the Stones will still gross truckloads of dough without sell-out shows.

For what it's worth, I've read that Clear Channel is *asking* acts to keep it "cheap" to get more attendees; however, I don't see the Stones compromising with something such as this.

BTW, I realize that the huge stages, screens, and personnel contribute and factor into ticket prices, but couldn't it be possible to pull off something more stripped down and still make a whole lot of money? What in the hell is "a whole lot of money" to them, anyway? Geez Louise.
April 13th, 2005 03:38 PM
telecaster So this Gallagher twit rather have people pay for a a show
where one of the brothers doesn't show up, or they fight on stage, or are so drunk they can't perform?

Like Oasis?
April 13th, 2005 03:48 PM
Joey
Here's hoping Zak Starkey literally rams not ONE set but TWO Sets of drumsticks up BOTH of those Gallagher Brother's Arses this summer .

Damn this upsets me !!!!!

Where is me Dope ......?!?!?!?!

Cassie & Yates ! ™

[ Edited by MaxTownshend ]
[Edited by Joey]
April 13th, 2005 03:51 PM
winter Oasis doesn't have an option, no one would go if they charged higher prices. I am surprised anyone goes to see this worthless piece of shit anyway.

Somebody should beat the Gallagher brothers silly with their eyebrows!

Also bear in mind that part of the Stones and other's philosphy is probably that if they charged less, the scalpers would still get outrageous prices - why share with the margin wiht the scum of the earth.

Don't shoot the messenger,

wintah
April 13th, 2005 03:55 PM
voodoopug
quote:
winter wrote:
Oasis doesn't have an option, no one would go if they charged higher prices. I am surprised anyone goes to see this worthless piece of shit anyway.

Somebody should beat the Gallagher brothers silly with their eyebrows!

Also bear in mind that part of the Stones and other's philosphy is probably that if they charged less, the scalpers would still get outrageous prices - why share with the margin wiht the scum of the earth.

Don't shoot the messenger,

wintah

Oasis and the opinions thereof are not a factor
April 13th, 2005 04:00 PM
Joey For My Puggy ! :

[Edited by Joey]
April 13th, 2005 04:04 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:
For My Puggy ! :

[Edited by Joey]

GO JOEY GO!!!!! looking for the past picture of TOots and Harold
April 13th, 2005 04:06 PM
Joey
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

GO JOEY GO!!!!! looking for the past picture of TOots and Harold

Found it ! :

April 13th, 2005 04:23 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:

Found it ! :

for shame joeinstein that is not it!
April 13th, 2005 04:28 PM
glencar I'd object to the high prices more vehemently if there were no scalpers around to make the profits that these acts are supposed to pass up on their upcoming tours. If Oasis sells tix for $50 a pop but I have to pay a scalper $200 after the sale, who gains? I'd rather that the Stones get the money instead of some shitbag who doesn't have a decent job but can spend several hours buying up a bunch of cheap tix. Scalpers suck.
April 13th, 2005 04:44 PM
parmeda For the love of god, we could haggle this forever...

It just seems to me that I continue to go back to something my mother once told me, "You get what you pay for...".

Will I spend a small fortune to see the Stones?
Yes. I believe that they are worth it.

Will I spend a small fortune to see Oasis?
Never. Not in this life! However, I would spend a small fortune to witness Noel's head getting capped off by a baseball bat. THAT, ladies & gentlemen, would be entertainment at it's fucking best.

April 13th, 2005 04:50 PM
Nellcote Tell Noel & everyone else....
You do not have to pay a thing by not going.
April 13th, 2005 04:51 PM
Joey
quote:
parmeda wrote:
However, I would spend a small fortune to witness Noel's head getting capped off by a baseball bat. THAT, ladies & gentlemen, would be entertainment at it's fucking best.

Pammy ..........................................

You make Joey smile
April 13th, 2005 04:55 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'd object to the high prices more vehemently if there were no scalpers around to make the profits that these acts are supposed to pass up on their upcoming tours. If Oasis sells tix for $50 a pop but I have to pay a scalper $200 after the sale, who gains? I'd rather that the Stones get the money instead of some shitbag who doesn't have a decent job but can spend several hours buying up a bunch of cheap tix. Scalpers suck.

The 'we're only ripping you off to keep the money away from scalpers' line doesnt wash with me in the slightest

It shouldnt be beyond any act - and certainly not one with the level of organisation the Stones are capable of - to limit the purchase of, say, the 1,000 best seats for any venue (the ones the scalpers really want) to 2 per person and make them will-call only, or use a 'wristband' policy or give priority to fan club members....basically do it the way they limit ticket sales for theatre shows (a system which seems to work very well and which deters scalping)

I could almost take the logic behind the Stones' prices policy seriously if they werent siphoning off such a high percentage of the best seats to ticket brokers who mysteriously seem to be able to advertise them before the public onsale dates for about five or ten times the official price of the tickets. Sorry, but no one is ever to going to convince me that the Stones AREN'T party to that and that they're not getting a very healthy cut of it.

That's scalping in all but name, and the band seem quite OK with that.

Noel's 100% right in what he says and the 'no one would pay that money to see his band' argument is pointless (in many markets, they quite happily would). The bottom line is that for all their other faults they're a popular band who put their money where their mouths are and dont rip their fans off.
April 13th, 2005 05:13 PM
voodoopug Sadly, Pearl Jam and Aerosmith have a much better reward system for their fans.

Pearl jam in particular does it best. they give the best seats to those who have been in the fan club the longest (10-15 bucks a year including a christmas single) and have even done a show that never even made it to the regular sale as they let all of their fan club members buy all the tickets (Boston 2004)

I am hoping that RS.com will reward their long term members such as myself, but those are hopes that most likely will just remain as such.
April 13th, 2005 05:32 PM
Scot Rocks The prices are a disgrace and Noel is right. Simple as that.

April 13th, 2005 06:04 PM
Riffhard Well,for what it's worth here's my take. If you live in,or around,NYC and you want to go see "The Producers" (or any other popular Broadway production for that matter) on Broadway you are going to be looking at about $300.00 per ticket. You're also most likely gonna want to impress your date with dinner in the city. So add another $150.00-$200.00 or more to the bill for the night. Now let's talk about parking. In NYC?! That's gonna run you about $25.00 at least.

Now let's take a look at the Stones at the Garden. Tickets for two are gonna run you between $250.00 and $300.00. That,ofcourse is for the good seats. Dinner? Fuck dinner! Maybe some wings at the pub. Call it about $15.00 to $20.00 bucks for pub grub. Beers and booze? Well depending on your drinking abilities this could be either very expensive or fairly cheap. Let's say anywhere from $20.00 to $100.00. Parking? There is no damned oparking! Your riding the train! Afterall who's gonna risk driving home after partying with fellow RO'ers at the pub pre and post Stones' concert! That means $0.00 for parking,but about $20.00 for the train.

So adding the highest prices up here's what you get.

A night in Manhattan for a Broadway play where you get to hang around a bunch of pretentious assholes in black turtlenecks and talk about "the wonderful choreography,and those sets! Those incredible sets!" is gonna run you about $800.00-$1000.00 for two.

A night in Manhattan to see The Rolling Motherfucking Stones on their last tour where you get to hang around a bunch of like minded Stones' fans,many who you have met right here on Rocks Off,and talk about "Man Mick has still got it! The guy is the greatest goddamned frontman ever! Keith! Geesh even with crippled fingers he ripped the shit outta that solo on Sympathy!" is gonna run you about about $550.00 -$700.00 for two,and that's for the high end evening. It can be done considerably cheaper.

Now,I ask ya. Which one sounds like more fun to you? Which one will you be telling your grandkids about more? Easy answer for me! And You's?

Riffhard
April 13th, 2005 06:15 PM
Jair Totally agree: "It saddens me when I see bands like the Stones and U2 charging so much. They don't need the fUCking money."
I like Noel (he is so crazy) & I like Oasis music. The songs could be only a little shorter...
April 13th, 2005 06:18 PM
Scot Rocks The Stones are a rock n roll band not a broadway show.

April 13th, 2005 06:19 PM
Gazza This is supposed to be rock 'n' roll, though, Riffie - I have zero interest in going to the theatre.

Why not compare the ticket prices to other rock music acts for a realistic assessment, not a theatre production (although in a theatre at least youre not paying big bucks to watch a video screen and listen to a performance with often questionable sound quality) or a major sports event.

No matter how high the Stones want people to jump, there'll always be a few sycophants who'll justify doing so somehow in order to convince themselves that $300 or more for two hours entertainment is good value. Each to their own, although a psychologist would have a field day with that logic. And dont get me started on the people who even pay ten times those figures off brokers.

The only reason ticket prices are so high now is because not enough people said no to it so many years ago.

Your description of the sort of person you see at the theatre and the sort of people you encounter at Stones shows is interesting. These days, with the prices they're charging, the 'theatre' stereotype you mention has as much in common with the sort of fans the Stones are attracting than the other example!

No fucking wonder rock 'n' roll is in such a perilous state

[Edited by Gazza]
April 13th, 2005 06:35 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:
This is supposed to be rock 'n' roll, though.

Why not compare the ticket prices to other rock music acts for a realistic assessment, not a theatre production (although in a theatre at least youre not paying big bucks to watch a video screen) or a major sports event.

No matter how high the Stones want people to jump, there'll always be a few sycophants who'll justify doing so somehow in order to convince themselves that $300 or more for two hours entertainment is good value. Each to their own, although a psychologist would have a field day with that logic. And dont get me started on the people who even pay ten times those figures off brokers.

The only reason ticket prices are so high now is because not enough people said no to it so many years ago.

No fucking wonder rock 'n' roll is in such a perilous state
[Edited by Gazza]

Agreed Gazza,but you're leaving one very important element out of your equation. Namely it's the Rolling Fucking Stones on their last tour! This ain't fucking Oasis we're talking about here. Prices are absurd to be sure,but we won't be having this disscussion for much longer because they are bringing a remarkable 43 year carreer to end very shortly. With the possible exception of a few "one offs" I think the price is well worth it in the long run.

Riffhard
April 13th, 2005 06:39 PM
Poplar
quote:
Scot Rocks wrote:
The prices are a disgrace and Noel is right. Simple as that.

YEP.
April 13th, 2005 06:50 PM
Gazza the Licks tour wasnt "the Rolling fucking Stones on their last tour" and neither was "No Security". They were still overpriced too.

They havent even ANNOUNCED its their last tour anyway and my guess is they probably wont either.

Using the 'this could be the last time' carrot is still no excuse.

Any band could use some kind of emotional blackmail to their own fanbase if they wanted in order to justify hiking up ticket prices. That's only a recipe for anarchy.

I never cease to be amazed how people will go to any lengths to justify or condone a band ripping off their fanbase.

Maybe I'm just naive by still clinging to some ideological belief of what rock 'n' roll is supposed to be about. However, I'll certainly never apologise for doing so.

As someone involved in the music industry, surely you'd agree that there's something morally sickening about the way the industry has gone in the last five to ten years or so? For me, the likes of Clear Channel, Cohl and the Stones have a lot to answer for.

It certainly bears no relation to what rock n roll was about as I remember it.

You're completely missing the point by turning it into some Oasis/Stones comparison, as everyone seems to do. The principle is not ripping off your fanbase, regardless of who the act in question is.
April 13th, 2005 06:56 PM
Mikey My problem with the Stones ticket prices is that Mick & Co. prey upon those (us) who say, "its the Rolling Fucking Stones on their last tour, of course I'll pay."

Meaning, if Mick and Cohl sat down and decided that they wanted to make 10% margins on the whole tour and to do so, needed to charge $300/per, then I have no problem with that.

But IMO, I think Mick and Cohl sit down, work out the figures in a scenario-analysis spreadsheet sheet and say, "wow, if we charged $XXX/per, we'd make good money, but WOW, if we charged $XXXX/per, we'd make a TON of bucks. Let's do that, they'll pay.

Additionally, Gazza made a good point awhile back - from the Stones' standpoint, what point does it serve to gauge your fans ($100 website, lack of material, shorter shows, sloppier performances)? You'll never be able to enjoy the money and if they're doing it just to make sure you know you're seeing the best, then bravo, mission accomplished.

April 13th, 2005 06:56 PM
Dan And I don't have $85 to spend on Oasis tickets at the Hollywood Bowl. Why the hell are they charging so much? Last 2 times I paid $30. Just because its their first gig in the area in 4 years is no excuse. Its not like they need the money.
April 13th, 2005 07:12 PM
Riffhard Look I'm not trying to justify the outrageous prices that the Stones are certainly going to be charging. They have made a habit of it lately so at this point it's all rather old hat to me. It sucks to be sure,but I have no problem facing up to the fact that this is highly likely to be their last tour. Therefore to bitch about it does me no good. We collectively as fans can piss and moan all we want,but it ain't gonna change the prices. So the way I look at it is that I will pay for last chance to see the Stones live. Because I know that in the very near future the opportunity will be gone forever. I'd say it's safe bet that once they are gone we won't be bitching about ticket prices. We will be bitching because we won't have the chance to see them again for any price. And while I agree with you 100% that the prices are not very rock and roll,no one can deny that the Stones are the very epitome of rock and roll,and their closing the curtain for good sooner rather than later. That fact alone tells me that once again I will be saving my money to see them this one last time.

Riffhard
April 13th, 2005 07:14 PM
MrPleasant One of the Gallager bros. (I don't know their names, it's the one with the eyebrows) once called George Harrison a "tit".

I'll never forgive him for that.
Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour