ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1975 Bob Gruen (?)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tony Sanchez Return to archive
April 13th, 2005 02:30 PM
Dutch Michael D. does anyone of you here know if Tony Sanchez, Keith's old drugs friend, is still alive? if so... how is he doing ???

i just have read his whole book, The Rolling Stones. and it's the greatest Stones book i have ever read...
April 13th, 2005 02:49 PM
Joey

Whew .................................

Just for a brief second :

I thought this was a thread about my Baby Steelie .

Baby Joe ! ™
April 13th, 2005 07:21 PM
Gazza
quote:
Dutch Michael D. wrote:
does anyone of you here know if Tony Sanchez, Keith's old drugs friend, is still alive? if so... how is he doing ???

i just have read his whole book, The Rolling Stones. and it's the greatest Stones book i have ever read...

as far as I'm aware, he's still dead.

I think you're overly praising Tony's literary skills for his contribution to that book. It was pretty much 'ghost written'. As Keith said, "Tony can barely write his own name'.
[Edited by Gazza]
April 13th, 2005 07:24 PM
Riffhard He is still quite dead,and the best book ever about the Stones (and one that's true as oppossed to Spanish Tony's)is Stanley Booth's "The True Adventures of The Rolling Stones". I would highly recommend picking that one up.

Riffhard
April 13th, 2005 08:25 PM
M.O.W.A.T. STP is another good book, too.
April 13th, 2005 08:57 PM
corgi37 Sanchez book is just hilarious. I frigging hate all the "Oh poor Brian, look at what Mick and Keith are doing to him" crap.

I DID like some of the stories though. Like Keith with his hovercraft. And Keith and Anita charging the Stones rent and board while recording Exile. And the FBI helping with a good drug supply (or, was that the Mafia? - Is there a difference? hahahaha).

Other than that, its terribly written. Jagger cops a pounding. And, it was obvious Sanchez knew nothing of Bill's bonking escapades.

You'd think Sanchez WAS a Stone!! Though, i guess we would all have to admit, he probably was close to alot of the action for a time.

Some of the pics are great too. I havent got STP or Stanley Booth's book, and i guess its pretty dated now, but i have been thinking about getting it off ebay for some time.
April 13th, 2005 09:05 PM
glencar First book about the Stones that I ever read. I have no idea what's in it anymore except that there were photos of Brian wastings hours of audio tape in some drug induced frenzy.
April 13th, 2005 10:15 PM
IanBillen
A book that shows the cruelness and some-times unsaid conspiracle ways of Mick and Keith.

A book that shows you how much Brian was waisted.

A book that shows how only the strong survive in the deep world of heavy drugs, business, and music.

A look into the dark side of the Stones.

- I have no idea on how much of it is true. I wasn't
there. We can't say Tony is full of Bullshit either.
None of any of us were there. Keith says it is over-blown....

*Note: well... this is very strange coming from someone who
has always over-exagerrated everything himself
when it comes to The Stones.

....could this mean he is trying to slight or
hush some of the things that took place?

We can only specualte at the moment.

*Neat Story about Mick beating Brian around a bit for posing drowning in a moat. Even drug him to shore by his hair after discovering he was faking it all.

Who knows.

Ian

April 13th, 2005 11:35 PM
BILL PERKS WHAT IS KNOWN IS THAT TONY PLACES KEITH AND ANITA AT BRIAN'S FUNERAL,WHICH THEY WERE NOT.
TONY DIED IN 2000 OR 01
April 14th, 2005 01:49 AM
Bloozehound I need to get this book

I wonder if Tony is related to the Dirty Sanchez
April 14th, 2005 02:03 AM
Dutch Michael D. wow, so much different opinions from you guys, i didn't know he was dead, but i still think there are a lot of good story's in this book, and i just look at the stones from another point of view now... great how the police and england were trying to make the stones shut their mouth and get them in jail... i think tony was a important person for the stones those days, maybe because he gave them all the drugs they wanted...
April 14th, 2005 03:16 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Keith says it is over-blown....

i've read were keith has said most of the stories related are essentially true
April 14th, 2005 03:49 AM
IanBillen [quote]stonedinaustralia wrote:

Ok. I was just going by the board. I liked the book myself. In the early eighties it was the supposed book to have if you wanted the lowdown on the "deep inside world" of The Rolling Stones.

Ian
April 14th, 2005 04:53 AM
FotiniD
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Ok. I was just going by the board. I liked the book myself. In the early eighties it was the supposed book to have if you wanted the lowdown on the "deep inside world" of The Rolling Stones.

Ian

While Spanish Tony was alive, I refused to give money to an ex-drug dealer who sold his story to make more $$$ out of his acquaintances.

I still don't want to buy the book today.
April 14th, 2005 05:59 AM
waaghals Spanish Tony's book was good for a few laughs!
April 14th, 2005 06:29 AM
Gazza
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

I read that too.

Re: the 'moat' story above. That was in Tony Scaduto's Jagger biography, published about six years before Tony Sanchez's book. I dont recall reading it in Sanchez's book, although as it's been years since I read it, I'm not saying it isnt there!
April 14th, 2005 06:56 PM
stonedinaustralia i don't recall the "moat" story in sanchez' book either - definitely one from scaduto's

the moat related story in tony's book is in connection with the hilarious hovercraft tale

and corgi - if you never read booth's "true adventues" you really do owe it to yourself to get a hold of a copy - almost, i would say, the most definitive history of the band up to '69

and fotini - put aside your moral objections - buy a second hand copy - the sanchez book is - as it's title suggests - a real roller coaster ride - sometimes horrifying but all ways exciting - as well as being screamingly funny in many places

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
April 14th, 2005 07:38 PM
gotdablouse I read it a long time ago and certainly found it to be an interesting read and it didn't seem like he was making stuff up, I mean why would he ? That story about Anita being raped in a Kingston jail and then Keith asking Tony to arrange for the guy reponsible for letting her get locked up to be killed was pretty scary too! Nice story about the fishermen stealing Keith's rolex in Villefranche too and it does end up when Tony realizes he's no longer "in" when his Knebworth pass doesn't give him all access. It does shed some light on what Keith has become in later years, a lot of talk and not much action...
April 14th, 2005 07:44 PM
telecaster
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
I read it a long time ago and certainly found it to be an interesting read and it didn't seem like he was making stuff up, I mean why would he ? That story about Anita being raped in a Kingston jail and then Keith asking Tony to arrange for the guy reponsible for letting her get locked up to be killed was pretty scary too! Nice story about the fishermen stealing Keith's rolex in Villefranche too and it does end up when Tony realizes he's no longer "in" when his Knebworth pass doesn't give him all access. It does shed some light on what Keith has become in later years, a lot of talk and not much action...

"It does shed some light on what Keith has become in later years, a lot of talk and not much action..."

What would make you happy, a 62 year old man throwing a TV set out a hotel window? Having his wife raped in a Jamaican jail? Getting arrested for heroin again?
Having another child die? Arguing with drunk Hells Angels?

Does the phrase "been there done that" ring a bell?

It seems he is seeing tons more "action" now than Tony Sanchez is
April 14th, 2005 07:45 PM
glencar From IanBillen: "A book that shows the cruelness and some-times unsaid conspiracle ways of Mick and Keith."

You need to take an English course. Or else I should just stop reading your posts. Jair's stuff makes more sense.
April 14th, 2005 07:49 PM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:

I read that too.

Re: the 'moat' story above. That was in Tony Scaduto's Jagger biography, published about six years before Tony Sanchez's book. I dont recall reading it in Sanchez's book, although as it's been years since I read it, I'm not saying it isnt there!

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am pretty sure it is in that one (Sanchez's book). Wasn't the cover showing Mick in the middle kinda twirling with his hair flairing around and the group behind him on each side with a black background. I think The Stones themselves were in black and white.

I read it when I was just a ladd.

Ian
April 14th, 2005 09:32 PM
Gazza Sanchez's book seems to get re-issued to coincide (ie, cash in) with every Stones tour (same with Philip Norman's)

It invariably ends up with snappier titles each time like "I was Keith Richards' Drug Dealer" designed solely to appeal to a certain market. Having Mick on the cover is a pretty obvious commercial move by the publishers too, when you consider that the book is mostly really about Sanchez's life with Keith.

The version I have is the original "Up and Down with the Rolling Stones" and it comes from around 1979 or so.
April 15th, 2005 01:54 AM
Dutch Michael D. I just think it's interesting to read all those stories from a man who lived with the stones for 15 years or so, he was there , y'know? and now i know how it was to be a rolling stone, they were on the top of the world those days they were the greatest, they could kill you when you said something they didn't like, tony was their drugs dealer and a close friend, he had everything, the stones begging him for drugs, he could fuck every girl he wanted to fuck, he knew everyone.. and this is the story from that man .... i think it's great.

Tot Ziens (Good Bye)
[Edited by Dutch Michael D.]
April 15th, 2005 02:35 AM
beer the Spanish Tony book is actually one of my favorites. After reading a whole ton of Stones books, his was without doubt one of the best IMO. He has photos from every era he writes about. I reckon Keith dishes out an equal amount of BS that ol tony ever did..
April 15th, 2005 02:45 AM
Dutch Michael D.
quote:
beer wrote:
the Spanish Tony book is actually one of my favorites. After reading a whole ton of Stones books, his was without doubt one of the best IMO. He has photos from every era he writes about. I reckon Keith dishes out an equal amount of BS that ol tony ever did..

That's right, it's one of my favorites too, but what does IMO mean ???
April 15th, 2005 03:03 AM
FotiniD
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

and fotini - put aside your moral objections - buy a second hand copy - the sanchez book is - as it's title suggests - a real roller coaster ride - sometimes horrifying but all ways exciting - as well as being screamingly funny in many places

No moral issues here really (can't even stand the word )
I just can't stand dealers and their parasitic existence. Or for that matter all those people who happened to live next to singers / musicians / actors and then sold their stories to get more cash. Pathetic.

quote:
Dutch Michael D. wrote:

That's right, it's one of my favorites too, but what does IMO mean ???

In My Opinon
April 15th, 2005 03:10 AM
Dutch Michael D. ok, thanks man
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour