ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Photo by Annie Leibovitz, art by Woodywoodpecker
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Was Elvis A Hippie? Return to archive
04-14-03 05:16 PM
Mother baby He sure sounds good though??

[Edited by Mother baby]
04-14-03 05:36 PM
icydanger was jimi a hippy?
one song his "stop"
04-14-03 05:43 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Mother baby wrote:
He sure sounds good though??
I am! Don't Stop!

How are you with hippies Mother! Is today a hippie day in USA?
LOL

[Edited by Madafaka]
04-14-03 06:11 PM
J.J.Flash Dear Madafaka, what a long time. How are you doing? Well, hope fine. Do you know it Domingo Cavallo was a hippie? I think Lula was. Just wondering....... Take care brother!!! Hey Max, again, thank you very much for the CD's.
04-14-03 06:49 PM
Madafaka
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
Dear Madafaka, what a long time. How are you doing? Well, hope fine. Do you know it Domingo Cavallo was a hippie? I think Lula was. Just wondering....... Take care brother!!! Hey Max, again, thank you very much for the CD's.

Domingo Cavallo was a bald man all your life! Hehehe, I enjoy that!
You're welcome broda, anytime.
04-14-03 06:49 PM
throbby No.
04-14-03 07:29 PM
F505 Elvis made very good songs but also a lot of trash. A hippie? No! A hippie doesn't end the way Elvis did. A hippie ends owning a farm or being the senator of the Labor Party.

[Edited by F505]
04-14-03 07:34 PM
throbby I agree Mother baby. Elvis was it until he went into the service. I've seen some video of him live in '56 and it is truly incredible. After that though he doesn't seem the same to me. Then his letter to Richard Nixon in '72? I believe, asking to be deputized or something. His offer to work under cover on behalf of the "establishment" (his words) to help police the music industry. Maybe it was the Stones debauchery which repelled him? I don't see him as a hippie after '60.
04-15-03 12:32 AM
McQueen Elvis was the bridge between black and white. The forbidden fruit coming on the heels of McCarthy 50's America. Little white kids bit into that fruit deep and hard, got a taste of the good juice, and yearned for more. Yeah Elvis goes into the Army, R&B goes pop, culminating in the early Beatles years. But watch out, along comes our Boys, playing the dark side of that Happy Days era, reminding the next group of kids that Kennedy is dead, war is what's happenin' and they don't wanna hold your hand - hell no - they wanna make love to you - uh-huh! Rock returns to its more tribal roots, Elvis is off making bad movies at a million a pop, pullin' teeth just to score some scrips. A sideburned, sad-eyed, ultimate drugstore cowboy, trapped by an image he can no longer escape - wanting - much like John Lennon, to openly play bad like our beloved lads from London. He can't do that though so he medicates, broods, fucks less and eats more (always a bad course of action). Enter Vegas, Mecca of Excess, white-trash Soddom and...well, you get the picture. Exit stage left via 1977, no Elvis, no Beatles, but the Boys endure. Drugs, ego-warfare, Disco, Punk, New Wave, Grunge, all come and go before the Rolling Stones. Keith still has that glint that says he might hug you or slit your throat. Mick still has that smile that says the jokes been on us all these years but he still won't share the punch-line. Charlie still looks bored, though if you watch closely, the determination in his jaw declares he can do it all, and better than most before, during, or after him, ever will. Bill's still out there too, writing books, chasing birds, growing more secure in his own contributions to this legacy with each passing year. Brian? Well, he became a rock cliche' pulling an Elvis years before Elvis pulled an Elvis.

Ah, which brings us back to dear Elvis. Elvis will always be a king of rock and roll. Whether or not he is THE King is dependant upon personal taste, experience, and affiliation. But there was, and never will be, nothing cooler than 1956 Elvis. It was then he taught white music how to fuck and fuck hard. He started the race. Others took the baton from there and kept on runnin' with it. What I wonder now though, is who is going to do the runnin' now? Rock has become dangerously flaccid. Overbloated and terribly under-sexed, much like Mr. Presley at the time of his death.

The King is dead. Long live the King!
04-15-03 06:30 AM
Cant Catch Me Hey, McQueen, that was an excellent, very well thought out response. And you're right, too, Elvis was a rock n' roller, but definitely not a hippie.

It took me a long time to realize that the two things are completely distinct. Just like there's a difference between whether a person is a liberal or conservative politically versus whether he or she is liberal or conservative socially.

But, Elvis a hippie? No, never. (And the 11 to 13 mind-altering substances found in his system during his autopsy didn't make him a hippie either, just a druggie, a big-time druggie in fact.)
04-15-03 07:15 PM
vampire nothing more to say. I mean, not me

04-15-03 07:27 PM
Mother baby Yeah, McQueen summed it all up pretty well.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003