ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Photo by Annie Leibovitz, art by Woodywoodpecker
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best Live Version Of Sympathy? Return to archive
04-13-03 02:01 PM
Honky Tonk Man I thought i would follow up Savages post and start a discussion about which live version of "Sympathy For The Devil" is their favourite.

Lets face it, the studio version is PERFECT. I don't any live version can match it, but we are not short of great live versions. They don't all sound the same ether, evan all he "Keith only" solo's from 75 onwards. I quite like all the live versions i have heard. The Ya Yas version is great, though its overdubbed of course. Its not my favourite anyway. My favourite is the version from the "At The Max" video. Not sure what show its from though, Wembley Stadium 1990? The Tokyo 1990 versions are great. However, i don't like the version from Love You Live cd. One of the worst versions i have heard is the HBO MSG version. The rythem is okay, but whats happend to Keiths solo? Can't he solo like 89 anymore?

Alex
04-13-03 04:14 PM
marko Baltimore 1969,absolutely KILLER!Next one is La 12.7.75.
04-13-03 05:41 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
marko wrote:
Baltimore 1969,absolutely KILLER!Next one is La 12.7.75.

I like it when you narrow it down like that.

I'll listen tonight to Baltimore/LA Sympathy tonight extra special.

I like looking foward to things like this.

Maybe Keith or Charlie gave that extra feel to it.
04-13-03 06:32 PM
Child of the Moon From what I've read, HTM, Sympathy from Ya-Ya's isn't overdubbed... it's just missing a verse.

As far as my favorites go... well, I love the MSG version, as well as what there is of the Altamont version. I heard a take from 1970 (I forget where) and it sounded pretty damn intense. And I personally always liked the version on Love You Live. There's a part where Ronnie joins in with Keith's solo, and it sounds really cool. After that, I think the only ones that were really up to par were on the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour, and maybe one show in ten from this tour.
04-13-03 10:53 PM
BILL PERKS THE ONLY MODERN VERSION OF SYMPATHY THAT'S ANY GOOD IS ATLANTIC CITY 89 PPV.IT'S THE ONLY TIME THE GUITARS CAME IN EXACTLY AT THE RIGHT TIME.ON ALL OTHER VERSIONS THEY COME IN LATE OR ARE NOT PLAYING THE RIFF AS IT SHOULD.IT'S A BEER OR PISS WALK TUNE TO ME NOW
04-14-03 12:12 AM
Bluzian Yeah, I havent' been to particularly stuck on the recent
versions of SFTD.. too redundant, too sloppy.. too much Chuck!

but with regards to your question Alex, I think I'd have to
say I thoroughly enjoy the Ya-Ya's 69 version. And then
the July 7th, 1990 one from Wembley.

however it just doesn't have that same vitality and energy
it used to have. It's a lazy song now. Too predictable in
where it's going to go. I say they DROP IT!!

Cheers,
Ian

04-14-03 02:19 AM
marko hehe,get that 40-years tree.You�ll get sympathy from baltimore 1969,mick singing HEY JUDE at the end of it.
So far,the longest version of 69 tour!This one should have
been on Ya ya�s!
04-14-03 07:19 AM
fmk438j Just a little story related to he "hey Jude" in SFTD, Baltimore, 69.

A teeny/indy/softrock Australian band appeared on a TV show last year and performed an acoustic Sympathy . This was a great surprise in itself. But, as the song goes on, the lead singer (a girl) breaks out with the hey judes, nah nah nah nahs.

This knocked me off my chair.

It surprised me greatly because they were playing SFTD in a way that would not lend itself easily to the hey jude lines (whereas the way the stones played it it felt natural, ie. if another band covered the song with a similar composition, then they might have come up with the hey jude bit independantly). So....this makes me think they may just have heard the Baltimore show, which is surprising.

(The band was 'Killing Heidi', and the tv show, 'The Panel')
[Edited by fmk438j]
04-14-03 08:10 AM
egon that must be the one they are GOING to play in barca
on the 29th of june, and/or the one at marseille on the 5th of july.

am i excited?

you bet your ass i am!
04-14-03 05:33 PM
cwatts07644 I like the altamont version-phoenix69 is great also
As for the modern versions i like dallas 89 the most
04-15-03 06:15 AM
Cant Catch Me It�s impossible for any live version of Sympathy for the Devil from Steel Wheels or after to surpass anything from prior years. Starting in 1989, live performances of Sympathy just didn�t have the same malignant intensity as before, and the song�s gleefully corrupt swagger and palpable threat of violence were suddenly gone.

Why? Perhaps because in that year, 1989, the Rolling Stones successsfully negotiated the termination of their long-standing cross-promotional contract with Satan so they could begin a more lucrative licensing deal with Anheuser-Busch Inc., the U.S. brewing company that secured naming rights for Steel Wheels by underwroting a substantial portion of the tour.

Nobody but the Stones and the Devil knows exactly what the group had to give up to get the Dark Prince to release them from the earlier contract, either as individuals or as a band. But at the time, the genetic predisposition toward male pattern baldness in Keith Richards� family on his mother�s side was rumored to be the subject of intense negotiations, as were Mick Jagger�s hopes for an eventual second career as a successful movie star.
04-15-03 06:46 AM
fmk438j
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:
in that year, 1989, the Rolling Stones successsfully negotiated the termination of their long-standing cross-promotional contract with Satan so they could begin a more lucrative licensing deal with Anheuser-Busch Inc.,

excellent
04-15-03 12:01 PM
jb I agree with Marko...1969 was by far the best live versions. Mick Taylor and Keith really complimented each other and the solos were wicked(was it Keith or Mick T?).
As far as post Taylor, I always enjoyed the version on "Love you live"....has a great opening grove and still keeps the guitars loud....When was that version actually recorded?
04-15-03 12:23 PM
Madafaka Yeap! Marko and Jb are right!
04-15-03 02:35 PM
marko JB!that sympathy version you�re talkin about is recorded
from LA july 9th!1975.
And ofcourse,i have complete show,,,,,,,,
04-15-03 06:14 PM
T&A I'd have to go with Paris 70. But, the '69 era versions, in general, cannot be eclipsed. Can you imagine how great this song might have sounded had it been included on the 72/73 tours? Don't that just make you salivate?
04-15-03 06:23 PM
Child of the Moon
quote:
T&A wrote:
I'd have to go with Paris 70. But, the '69 era versions, in general, cannot be eclipsed. Can you imagine how great this song might have sounded had it been included on the 72/73 tours? Don't that just make you salivate?

Paris 1970! That's the one I was thinking of! Keith played a friggin' snarling guitar on that one. Taylor's solo is also quite nice on it. The prospect of a '72 or '73 version is just too great to ignore... it probably would have given Midnight Rambler a run for its money as the showstopper!
04-16-03 06:36 AM
gypsymofo60 I think the energy in The Love You Live version beats everything prior to, or after as far as live renditions are concerned, but I agree with HTM, nothing beats that original studio cut.
04-16-03 07:12 AM
JaggaRichards Best version? Altamont '69.
IMO, they havent done a good live SFTD since Steel Wheels.
Now its just a glorified dance tune!
Make it menacing again guys!
04-16-03 07:53 AM
Honky Tonk Man I think since the 89/90 tour, SFTD has changed quite a bit. Like "Midnight Rambler" live, it was a chance for the Stones to really get loose and jam. Now they don't REALLY jam on "Midnight Rambler", its all very precice and it sounds a little too well rehearsed. On Sympathy, it sounds like they are trying to get the song to sound like the studio cut. As FPM pointed out in an older thread, they have done this with songs like "Ruby Tuesday" and "Lets Spend The Night Together" This is okay, but i really would like to hear more guitars. "Ruby Tuesday" was great during the SW tour, but the version from Austraila ive heard, was just like listening to the old 45rpm. I like it during 89/90 because Keith really made it his own with that guitar picking.

Alex

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003