ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Ed Caraeff
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Mirror: LAST CHANCE FOR RONNIE Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
03-29-02 05:48 AM
MickChick LAST CHANCE FOR RONNIE
Stones' star goes into booze clinic

By James Scott

ROLLING Stone Ronnie Wood has checked into a drying out clinic amid fears that he is drinking himself to death.

Friends say his family were worried about his health and confronted him about his heavy boozing.

He booked into America's toughest rehab centre - the �2,000 a week Meadows Clinic in Arizona - last week.

Ronnie, 54, quit drinking two years ago after doctors warned him: "You're killing yourself."

He went into The Priory rehabilitation clinic and vowed never to touch another drop.

But over the past 12 months he has slipped back into his old boozing ways.

He told concerned friends that he was only enjoying the odd glass of wine over dinner.

But it was painfully clear that Ronnie's drinking was once again becoming a problem. His devoted wife Jo - whom he calls his "angel" - is staying at a hotel near the clinic while he has treatment.

A spokesman for the guitarist said yesterday: "He is receiving treatment for alcohol addiction in a private clinic."

Ronnie is said to be keen to clean up his act before the Stones start their 40th anniversary tour.

The Arizona clinic - motto where Recovery Becomes Reality - has successfully treated other famous Brits including Paul Gascoigne, Tara Palmer Tomkinson and Michael Barrymore.

Ronnie's hard living is legendary and second only to fellow Stones member Keith Richards.

Apart from his love of vodka, beer, wine and Guinness, often with breakfast, Ronnie fought a long battle with cocaine.

He was jailed for six days in the 80s on the Caribbean island of St Maarten after 260gms of coke was found hidden in a tree at his holiday home. He later confessed he knew he had a problem after a large part of his nose fell off after a late night snorting session.

He had to have plastic surgery to rebuild his septum.

Ronnie finally sought treatment after Jo threatened to leave him. He checked himself into a New York clinic then moved back to England with his family.

Just after finishing rehab in July 2000, Ronnie told The Mirror that he realised the party was over. Following a marathon all day session when he sank 10 pints of Guinness before moving on to vodka and scotch, he regained consciousness and experienced a sobering moment of clarity.

He said: "I just woke up one day and knew it was time for me to check into a hospital.

"I thought: 'I simply can't keep this up. I've got to stop while I've still got my health... sort of'.

"I'm lucky to be alive with what I did and how much I consumed."

Ronnie shot to fame with the Faces and has had 35 years at the top of rock music. The family man and second wife Jo now live in a 13 bedroom mansion in Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey.

They have two children Leah, 23, and Tyrone, 19.

Ronnie has a son Jesse, 24, from his first marriage and Jo has a son Jamie from a previous relationship.

He has been working on a solo album Not For Beginners.
03-29-02 08:20 AM
Jumacfly sad sad sad....
03-29-02 10:19 AM
nankerphelge Didn't he bail out of Priory before his stint was up?
That "I only have a wee bit with dinner" excuse will never do it. He's got to walk away from it for good or he will die.

Hopefully he can get clean before the tour and hopefulyy he can stay clean during the tour.

03-29-02 10:50 AM
sandrew I hope he gets healthy, but it doesn't bode well for his playing this fall.
03-29-02 11:19 AM
Joey 'Didn't he bail out of Priory before his stint was up? '

Ronnie is such a Priory Pussy !!!!!!!!
03-29-02 11:23 AM
nankerphelge Joey, please don't use the word "pussy"
You know the rules

It is far too close to Wolf Puss
Sorry, I meant to say that it is too "similar" to Wolf Puss
I don't want to use the word "far" which is strikingly similar to "fart" which is no good as well.

Liable to get my pee pee whacked!
Oh, and we shouldn't say pee pee.
We should say "big old throbin' purple helmet"

Thanks for your cooperation
03-29-02 11:32 AM
Scot Rocks Good luck Ronnie

Get yourself back on track and then you can kick some rock n' roll ass next year.

03-29-02 11:59 AM
Maxlugar ....and Mick Taylor continues to warm up in the bullpen!

YEAH!

Ronnie's holding up the tour, damn it!
03-29-02 02:35 PM
Gazza Theres more of the same in today's "SUN"

Hey You Get Off Of That Booze

At least the rest of the band as well as Woody have seen theres an obvious problem here..that "cure" in the Priory 2 years ago was a sick joke,as he walked out after a couple of weeks (the program is supposed to be around 6 weeks) declaring himself cured and has since told everyone ad nauseam that he no longer has a problem - based on the fact that hes off spirits and only drinking Guinness and red wine.

I dont think it'll hold up any tour as hopefully he'll have himself sorted out long before that (dont forget,Keith used to do the same with heroin in the mid 70's prior to a tour) although if they havent recorded new material yet for release later this year,thats obviously going to hold things up on THAT front.

Get well soon,Woody.
03-29-02 05:45 PM
Joey The time has come for Mick Taylor to perform once again with the Rolling Stones . Maybe , just maybe , Ronnie will need a liver transplant and then he will be forced to miss the 2002 / 2003 World Tour . Then , there can be no doubt about Mick Taylor rejoining the Stones once again .

Yes !!!!!!!!!

I am so excited about this prospect that I will play " Time Waits for No One " one hundred times in a row this evening ......after cocktails in the blue , red and grey of course .

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJoey

J. Joeyfly ( The Joey , C10 )

Established , 1999 . Drinking heavily since 1981 . Smoking Chiba since 1977 .
03-29-02 06:52 PM
Jaxx i'm so sad for him. he can't this monkey off his back. it seems he's been trying so hard. come on ronnie.. FOCUS

Hey you get off that booze
By VICTORIA NEWTON
Showbiz Editor

ROLLING Stone Mick Jagger has ordered Ronnie Wood to quit booze � or be booted out of the group.

Ultimatum ... Mick

The �clean up your act� ultimatum to alcoholic millionaire Ronnie, 54, came at a band meeting this month.

The guitarist is now in rehab at Arizona�s tough Cottonwood clinic, a last resort for many addicts.

Insiders say Mick, 58, feared Ronnie would be unfit to belt out classic hits like Get Off Of My Cloud and Brown Sugar night after night on their next world tour, starting in the US in September.

Brown swigger ... alcoholic Ronni

Ronnie, who lives in Co Kildare, Ireland, has admitted in interviews downing up to THREE bottles of vodka a day along with his regular tipple Guinness � AND spending �1,500 a week on cocaine.

Two years ago he checked into London�s Priory clinic, saying at the time: �I had better nip it in the bud. Docs say I could be dead in six months.�

But he couldn�t stay off the drink.

Last night a pal said: �Ronnie�s in a bad way again after falling off the wagon. He never eats anything and just drinks himself senseless. Mick was concerned, but Ronnie flew out to Arizona voluntarily.�
03-29-02 07:14 PM
Gazza Anyone who greets the news of a member of the Stones' being in ill-health (and an illness which is potentially life threatening at that)as something positive because it suits their (optimistic) wishes of a change in band personnel isnt much of a fan.

This is someone's life we're talkin about here. Much more important than a fucking album or tour let alone Mick bloody Taylor's chances of being reinvited.
03-29-02 10:15 PM
nanky I don't think our young boy Joey really feels that way.
I think he was just being Joey -- ever the antagonist.

Chiba would tame that wild Joey
Smoking since 1977 that Joey
I can tell you all right now, Joey is not of this world
I have met the Joey
I have drunk with the Joey
I have observed the Joey
Joey "pushes" the limits
I miss the Joey

I miss all the "brethren"

I saw a rumour ofa Halloween show in Atlanta
At the Georgia Dome

Tingle fucking tingle

I bet any Hallowen Stones show has got to be it
I am now wearing my Rolling STone Hallowee Oakland '94 shirt
(and that's all I'm wearing -- just kidding -- I am really wearing an entire snowmobile suit)
I was not there, but I wish I had been -- Oakland '94 that is.

You know who else I miss -- marko (TCB)
He was one ballsy guy
If someone told me that 9 guys from Finland that have never met before were flying to, I dn't know - London? -- and getting togeher, would YOU fly over and meet them?

Seriously -- would you?

Marko did -- for the love of the STones
Crazy B!

This second bottleis betr thanthe first.

03-29-02 11:23 PM
KeepRigid Ron Wood if he could...and he will.

Come on, Woody, we love ya!
03-30-02 02:25 AM
yellow1 You're right, we should feel for this individual's health, except that he's in such a priviledged position that he's really got no excuse for doing what he does. At least Keith and Clapton were still able to put up a good show in their (old ?) drug and alcohol days

Poor Ronnie, well I guess his pathetic playing onstage over the past 13 years is now accounted for. Strange that it took Mick Jagger that long to tell Ronnie to get off it and focus on the music ! The guy has become a joke onstage and should be put out of his misery, i.e. be excused from the upcoming tour and album. Give him a break...and hire someone who can still cut it. Sadly, Mick Taylor doesn't really fit the bill so maybe they could get Jeff Beck ! That would kick some major ass and provide some tense and nasty moments on stage. Better than basking in "Chuck Leavell playing by numbers" if you ask me.

I remember reading an interview of Mick J. in 1997 when he said that even Keith and him wouldn't enjoy touring forever implying that Charlie and Ronnie had already had their fill, which was a bit surprising after these constant stories of Keith and Ronnie badgering Mick to tour all the time...

03-30-02 03:11 AM
MarthaMyDear Aerosmith needs to open for the Stones on the 40th Anniversary tour... That way all of Aerosmith can help and keep an eye on Ronnie... Either them or the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Anthony can do the same... As for friends, Elton John is around, as far as I know, and Stevie Nicks lives in Arizona... These are all clean and sober people who have broken their own anonymity and there are so many people who can help him (famous and not famous) but he NEEDS to want to help himself... I really hope he gets well and also know that there are all different types of help out there (AA/12-Step, alternatives to AA, drug and alcohol counseling, therapy, etc.)... GOOD LUCK, RONNIE!!!

*** Martha ***
03-30-02 05:17 AM
MarthaMyDear Actually, I don't know what I'm saying... Let the tour wait until Ronnie gets better... Wow... He has got to be in the toughest position to stay sober in the WORLD, IMHO... I wish him all the best and my prayers are with him and his family!!!

*** Martha ***
03-30-02 06:56 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
MarthaMyDear wrote:
there are so many people who can help him (famous and not famous) but he NEEDS to want to help himself...

Well said Martha, word of wisdom upthere!

I hope Ronnie is doing this for him and nobody else. This is a matter of health, alcoholism is just a disease and nothing to be a shame of. Fucking press that does money with it.

If you don�t do this for you it won�t work, if you are there for Jo, for Leah or your sons, for the tour, or just to be clean and sober before and during the tour it probably don�t work. Do it for you and think about Jo, Leah and your sons, your group, the tour etc

If someone is there because of their parents, or to save their marriage, family relations, or are sent by their bosses at work, the teachers at schools, etc, it probably won�t work, do it for you Ron if you and only you are 100% sure you need it. If this is the case even the AA group down the block could be better than Meadows or Priory or any other.

Get well Ronnie we need you, we love you!

PS. As some said the other day here, If rehab is for quitters, Quit!
03-30-02 12:38 PM
WahWahWoody I was so sad to hear about all that. C'm on Ronnie, you must be strong. I want to have you in front of me on the next tour, and no other fucking guitar-player.
03-30-02 03:01 PM
Joey "Poor Ronnie, well I guess his pathetic playing onstage over the past 13 years is now accounted for. Strange that it took Mick Jagger that long to tell Ronnie to get off it and focus on the music ! The guy has become a joke onstage and should be put out of his misery, i.e. be excused from the upcoming tour and album. Give him a break...and hire someone who can still cut it. "

Damn Straight yellow 1 . I would like to nuzzle you .

" Hit Me Ronnie "

Joey , C10

03-30-02 03:39 PM
Miss U. Alcoholism is a DISEASE. Let's hope Woody gets control.
03-30-02 04:24 PM
Jaxx More in The Telegraph today
Once again Stones' Wood bids to beat booze

AS the Rolling Stones prepare for their 40th and final world tour, their guitarist Ronnie Wood - who has a home in Kildare for some years - has entered an American clinic to be treated for alcoholism.

Two years ago, Wood, 54, was told that his life was at risk if he continued drinking. After treatment at the Priory Clinic he appeared to have brought his consumption - often as much as two bottles of vodka a day - under control.

At the time he said: "I'd better nip it in the bud or I may be dead in six months."

Formerly with the Faces, he replaced Mick Taylor in the Rolling Stones in 1975. His hard-living reputation mirrors that of his fellow band member Keith Richards, who overcame heroin addiction in the 1970s.

Wood, one of the rock's most likeable characters, is renowned for helping out friends. Now, concern within his family over what seems to be a relapse - together with Mick Jagger voicing anxiety at a band meeting this month - has prompted Wood to seek help at the Stg�650-a-day Meadows Clinic in Arizona.

The clinic may have been recommended by Wood's life-long friend, Rod Stewart, whose son Sean was treated there.

About 600 patients are treated each year in five-week programmes.

Wood's wife, Jo, is staying nearby. The musician is noted for his close-knit family, including his daughter Lea, 23, a model, and son Tyrone, 19. All live in a 13-bedroom house at Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey.

The need for all the band to be fit for the tour that starts in America in September and moves on to Europe, is being stressed by Jagger, who is reportedly taking ballet lessons to limber up.

Weeks of rehearsals are ahead, with Jagger intent on putting together a spectacular show.

The singer, regarded as the band's financial wizard, is expected to be watching the progress of Sir Paul McCartney across America. He opens his first US tour since 1993 at Oakland Stadium, San Francisco, on Monday. Tickets sold out within half an hour, even though the top seats were priced at Stg�187.

Sir Paul is visiting 19 cities with his Driving USA show, in front of a new band similar to Wings. Huge revenues are expected for Britain's richest rock star to add to his pounds 640 million fortune. Jagger, lagging behind with pounds 180 million, is expected to set equally high ticket prices for the Stones' swan song.

(Daily Telegraph, London)

03-30-02 05:37 PM
robbluedog Not so long ago I mentioned in these posts that the Stones may continue as a 3 piece, with Ronnie Wood opting for a change of pace. At the time I was poo pooed but I think I will be vindicated (unfortunately).

Forget Mick Taylor as a permanent replacement. He also has a few problems of his own. Maybe he would guest sometimes? My bet would still be on another 'Darryl Jones' type of arrangment, where a player or players would be hired on a tour by tour and album by album basis.

With the millions upon millions of dollars at stake plus the reputation of the band, and with a touring environment as tough as the one we have in the year 2002, you can bet your life there have been some very serious behind the scenes discussions in the Stones musical and management camps on this issue.

They simply cannot afford not to cut it as a live act - it's where they make their money, and they can't wait for ever for Ronnie to get it together. Kind of like Brian in '69 all over again......
03-30-02 05:42 PM
robbluedog Not so long ago I mentioned in these posts that the Stones may continue as a 3 piece, with Ronnie Wood opting for a change of pace. At the time I was poo pooed but I think I will be vindicated (unfortunately).

Forget Mick Taylor as a permanent replacement. He also has a few problems of his own. Maybe he would guest sometimes? My bet would still be on another 'Darryl Jones' type of arrangment, where a player or players would be hired on a tour by tour and album by album basis.

With the millions upon millions of dollars at stake plus the reputation of the band, and with a touring environment as tough as the one we have in the year 2002, you can bet your life there have been some very serious behind the scenes discussions in the Stones musical and management camps on this issue.

They simply cannot afford not to cut it as a live act - it's where they make their money, and they can't wait for ever for Ronnie to get it together. Kind of like Brian in '69 all over again......
03-30-02 09:18 PM
yellow1 Good point "robbieblue", except that they apparently let it go in 89, 94, 97 and 99 when Ronnie was already dangerously close to being little more than a clown onstage...I'm not saying that with any pleasure mind you, it's a situation that's always made me sad. What they didn't do with Brian in the late 60s who had started the band they did for Ronnie since the early 90's, it's not right is it ?

It's probably a wild dream and "too late in the game" as someone else said but I'd love to see them go on the road with Beck or Clapton, these guys are from the same generation and are really survivors of a different era, maybe that could bring them together ?
03-31-02 09:28 AM
F505 Time waits for no one

no favours has he
03-31-02 01:57 PM
Miss U. >>>What they didn't do with Brian in the late 60s who had started the band they did for Ronnie since the early 90's, it's not right is it ? <<<

Exactly.
It's not like Brian in 69 all over again. It makes you wonder though, doesn't it? Woody is a far worse drinker than Brian ever was, and look how long he's lasted.

They need to take care of their band members. I guess they've either been enabling Ronnie all these years, or they just don't bother & all lead their own separate lives until tour time comes round.
What have they been doing to help Ronnie since the early 90s as you say?

03-31-02 02:11 PM
Gazza I think one major difference between the two of them is that maybe this time round hindsight has made them aware of the importance of having the whole band in decent shape - as well as Brian's physical state in 1969,dont forget that they didnt tour in 86 behind Dirty work partly for THAT reason (as well as the fact that band relationships were so bad)

However,I think the main difference is that apparently in 1969 Brian wouldnt have been able to obtain a visa for an American tour due to his drug convictions - that isn't the issue this time as Ronnie's problems arent legal-related.
03-31-02 03:51 PM
yellow1 "What have they been doing to help Ronnie since the early 90s as you say? "

1) They didn't fire him
2) They made him a full fledged partner in RS BV or whatever, upgrading him from the wage status he'd been on since 1975. In hindsight that may not have been a very good idea as it basically gave him unlimited funds to buy booze and drugs :-(
03-31-02 05:27 PM
Gazza Dunno about that...by the time the Stones regrouped to make Steel Wheels,Ronnie was pretty close to being bankrupt..hence the reason why he started selling paintings - the Stones werent working

I'd like to think they finally gave him a fifth of the deal in 1989 because he had earned it after being officially in the band for 13 years,had co-written most of the previous album and had helped keep the band together when they were at their lowest ebb. In the mid 80's he certainly seemed more interested in being in The Rolling Stones than Mick Jagger did!

Theres no evidence he had a chronic booze problem at that time (well..certainly not on the level where it is NOW) ,although his drug problem in the early 80's almost got him kicked out - and they took pretty drastic measures on the 81 tour to keep him as clean as possible
Page: 1 2 3

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.