ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Ed Caraeff
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best Album for Potential Stones Return to archive
03-28-02 09:06 AM
Scot Rocks My mates introduced me to the stones by advising me to buy Hot Rocks, this I duly did and became a massive Stones fan. As a result I think Hot Rocks is the best album for introducing potential fans to the greatest band in the world. Songs such as JJF, Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter, Midnight Rambler etc. are so amazing that it is impossible for anyone not to become hooked and is what I now advise people to buy for their first album.

What does everyone else think?
03-28-02 09:21 AM
Jumacfly Yeah!!
Hot rocks was also my first stones record.
in fact, i had decided to offer the tape (1989) to my parents for Xmas and...i ve stolen it!!
...and became, as you did, a stones fan!!
it was my first stones experience...then i ve bought steel wheels, and thought that, 25 years later, this band was a really great band.
Now, when i want to introduce my friends to the stones, i made them listen "the london years", "tatto you" , "hot rocks" or B2B, which is for me the perfect combinaison between the stones music and the modern, digital sound.
my friends know and appreciate the stones now,my wife also appreciate the band, and this is (one of) my vision of paradise!!!

Cheers , and happy birthday to all stones fan born on March!!!!
03-28-02 09:34 AM
FPM C10 [quote]Scot Rocks wrote:
My mates introduced me to the stones by advising me to buy Hot Rocks, this I duly did and became a massive Stones fan. As a result I think Hot Rocks is the best album for introducing potential fans to the greatest band in the world. Songs such as JJF, Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter, Midnight Rambler etc. are so amazing that it is impossible for anyone not to become hooked and is what I now advise people to buy for their first album.

Absolutely right, Scot - of the existing officially released albums, Hot Rocks is the best of the Best Of collections. It's a double album (at least on vinyl), and some of the songs - like JJF - were singles, not on albums. The only thing is - if you decide that Hot Rocks is all you need to hear, you'll be labeled a "Hot Rocks" fan, which carries a negative connotation with old troopers like the regulars here. (Of course, the fact that you're HERE in the first place indicates that this is not the case with you.)They're often people like the jerk who sat behind me at Madison Square Garden in '98 and COMPLAINED because they were playing "I Just Wanna Make Love To You".

A drawback -it only covers the Brian era and the beginning of the Mick Taylor years. I'm looking for the projected greatest hits package which has been rumored to be in the works for this year to replace Hot Rocks as the "must-have" collection, IF they get the rights from Allen "Satan" Klein for their crucial first records and give this incredible material the remastering job it needs and deserves.

03-28-02 10:23 AM
Scot Rocks FPM C10 >The only thing is - if you decide that Hot Rocks is all you need to hear, you'll be labeled a "Hot Rocks" fan, which carries a negative connotation with old troopers like the regulars here. (Of course, the fact that you're HERE in the first place indicates that this is not the case with you.)They're often people like the jerk who sat behind me at Madison Square Garden in '98 and COMPLAINED because they were playing "I Just Wanna Make Love To You".

Yeah those people who get tickets should at least have a broader knowledge and appreciation of the Stones, maybe they could introduce a priority ticketing system where when people phone or go for tickets are asked to answer some stones questions, failure to answer these correctly will put them at the bottom of the pile. The most annoying thing I hear is when people say 'oh yeah the rolling stones they were the Beatles rivals in the 60s and done Satisfaction' aaaghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-28-02 10:52 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Scot Rocks wrote:

...maybe they could introduce a priority ticketing system where when people phone or go for tickets are asked to answer some stones questions, failure to answer these correctly will put them at the bottom of the pile.

THAT is the best idea EVER. "Hello, this is TicketBastard - who played bass on "Sympathy For The Devil", please? BILL? I'm sorry, please call back next week when the good seats are all gone."
03-29-02 03:16 PM
The Worst I introduced myself to the Stones by buying Bridges, but my father introduced me to the old stuff with the singles collection. He had already considered getting Hot Rocks instead, but didn't, because there are too little soft tunes on Hot Rocks, and because the single collection gives you more for your money- and he was right: more hits AND more rarities. However, my father wondered, where on this compilation Gimme Shelter was (although heavily rotated, it never was a single, as we know). Funnily, I then introduced my father, who had only known them from radio etc., to the Stones more deeply: I borrowed him my CDs (and I have got all of them, only no best-ofs apart from the singles collection and big hits&fazed cookies (love the title and the rare tracks of it)), and he only disliked Dirty Work. He bought Flowers, and I had some first-generation-CDs and LPs for him, that I did not need any more: 12X5, Got Live If You Want It, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Love You Live, Steel Wheels and Stripped. I already wonder, which Stones-CD I will give my father to his birthday.
This perhaps doesn't all belong to the subject of the thread, but many other people have already written about their introduction to the Stones, so did I. I can well imagine, that parents in the sixties tried to keep their children from rock music, as I played Bridges to my grandma, and she didn't like it at all.
Back to which Stones-CD to give a newcomer to the band- I don't know. By giving him all of them, you can't do anything wrong- burning them is a cheap way to do this.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.