ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Pavillon D'Ermenonville - 22 September 1970
© Christian Simonpietri
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Opening Bands??? Return to archive
15th April 2007 11:52 AM
Paranoid_Android Any word (official or otherwise)or thoughts...I know that Aerosmith is touring the EU as well at the same time...Frankfurt is the only possibility of a combined show...on June 13...thats just a thought on my part...

Who would you like to see open for the boys???
15th April 2007 11:55 AM
gimmekeef Oasis...so Keith can pull the plug on em and kick Gallaghers ass.....But you can bet the openers will be tame nobodys...
15th April 2007 12:52 PM
fireontheplatter tragically hip
kenny wayne shepherd
sheryl crow
black eyed peas...again. just to see fergi.
lucinda williams......good,but a tad depressing.

aerosmith i think would be a bit much really.
15th April 2007 01:35 PM
keith_tif we need some good young bands like INTERPOL (they're going to tour in the summer), Bloc Party, ...
15th April 2007 01:41 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
keith_tif wrote:
we need some good young bands like INTERPOL (they're going to tour in the summer), Bloc Party, ...

Interpol are fantastixc live,saw them a few years at the eurocks in Belfort they rules!!
Bloc party are IMHO the lamest overrated band in the world with the killers..
15th April 2007 02:37 PM
Dan
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
Any word (official or otherwise)or thoughts...I know that Aerosmith is touring the EU as well at the same time...Frankfurt is the only possibility of a combined show...on June 13...thats just a thought on my part...

Who would you like to see open for the boys???

I am not going to any shows so it doesn't matter to me. I really doubt Aerosmith will open any shows. Motley Crue seems to think they were promised a slot on the ill-fated 2006 tour and they are also touring Europe this year.

Maybe someone noticed Ginger of the Wildhearts comments a few months ago? They have some moderate popularity in Europe and would be a good choice.
16th April 2007 11:27 AM
Saint Sway Stones are old and out of touch.

Mick just scans the Billboard Hot 100 list and has his people book whoevers available on it.

thats why the opening acts for the "Worlds Greatest R&R Band" havea mostly been rappers, chick singers, emo bands and pop acts
16th April 2007 11:29 AM
glencar I've seen plenty of old bluesmen open up for them.
16th April 2007 11:33 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
I've seen plenty of old bluesmen open up for them.

Buddy Guy gets 1 or 2 gigs per tour.

Name another
16th April 2007 11:35 AM
glencar Solomon Burke. The name escapes me but the opener at the Beacon...
16th April 2007 11:35 AM
glencar Most people play to 2/3 empty arenas anyway...
16th April 2007 11:37 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
Solomon Burke. The name escapes me but the opener at the Beacon...

that was Buddy Guy (again) at the Beacon

Burke opened at the Joint in Vegas in 2003. The MGM show the night after had some pop band.

btw, Kanye West is not a blues singer
16th April 2007 11:42 AM
glencar
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

that was Buddy Guy (again) at the Beacon

Burke opened at the Joint in Vegas in 2003. The MGM show the night after had some pop band.

btw, Kanye West is not a blues singer

I agree.
16th April 2007 11:44 AM
Saint Sway BB King has not opened for the Stones since 1969. WTF???

Taj Mahal was playing in a dump room up the street when the Stones were scheduled to play in AC. Instead, the opener was supposed to be some kiddy pop like The Trews(?)

again, WTF???
[Edited by Saint Sway]
16th April 2007 11:45 AM
glencar I think Slane Castle will be a festival show. Many openers!
16th April 2007 12:29 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
I think Slane Castle will be a festival show. Many openers!

and many war horses
16th April 2007 12:39 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
glencar wrote:
I agree.

I agree too.
16th April 2007 12:47 PM
Throwaway These days are long gone:
1981 US Tour: Journey, The J. Geils Band, George Thorogood, Van Halen, Prince, The Go-Go's, Santana, The Stray Cats, ZZ Top, The Neville Brothers, Iggy Pop, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Heart, Molly Hatchet, Tina Turner, Joe Ely, The Henry Paul Band, The Meters, Stanley Clarke, Etta James, Garland Jeffreys, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, The Greg Kihn Band, Lamont Cranston, Bobby Womack.

1982 European Tour: Black Uhuru, UB40, The J. Geils Band, George Thorogood, Joe Jackson, Téléphone, TV21, Peter Maffay, Kim Larsen.

thanks to www.timeisonourside.com for the info
16th April 2007 01:52 PM
Dan
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
BB King has not opened for the Stones since 1969. WTF???

He makes at least 100k a gig and has a large supporting cast who probably have to be paid as well.

quote:

Taj Mahal was playing in a dump room up the street when the Stones were scheduled to play in AC. Instead, the opener was supposed to be some kiddy pop like The Trews(?)

Again, Taj Mahal was probably making more playing his own show than the Stones would pay. And I bet more people were inside that dump room than would be inside the Convention Center when the opener hit the stage.

quote:

again, WTF???

The reason so many new bands get opening slots on this, and various other tours, is that the record company pays for it. Obviously it varies from show to show and in some cases like Metallica, the band recieves it's usual fee but I really doubt the band cares about the opinion of someone who is going to be parking lot anyway.
16th April 2007 01:54 PM
Dan
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
These days are long gone:
1981 US Tour: Journey, The J. Geils Band, George Thorogood, Van Halen, Prince, The Go-Go's, Santana, The Stray Cats, ZZ Top, The Neville Brothers, Iggy Pop, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Heart, Molly Hatchet, Tina Turner, Joe Ely, The Henry Paul Band, The Meters, Stanley Clarke, Etta James, Garland Jeffreys, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, The Greg Kihn Band, Lamont Cranston, Bobby Womack.

1982 European Tour: Black Uhuru, UB40, The J. Geils Band, George Thorogood, Joe Jackson, Téléphone, TV21, Peter Maffay, Kim Larsen.

thanks to www.timeisonourside.com for the info

Licks Tour: Elvis Costello, White Stripes, Pretenders, Therapy?, Simple Minds, AC/DC, ZZ Top, The Darkness,
16th April 2007 04:26 PM
Throwaway Yes each tour has had its good and bad openers, but theres no excuse for guys like Kanye West, DMB, Maroon 5, Black Eyed Peas, etc to be openers. Even bands that are decent but a completely different genre shouldn't be..Keith, let bands like the Izzys open for you and you'll be convinced that not all new music is shite!
16th April 2007 09:21 PM
Paranoid_Android Dan Says:

Again, Taj Mahal was probably making more playing his own show than the Stones would pay. And I bet more people were inside that dump room than would be inside the Convention Center when the opener hit the stage.
=========================================================

The actual number would be equal to the number of folks who I was with at the AC Bar & Grill!!!!!

Dan Says:
Licks Tour: Elvis Costello, White Stripes, Pretenders, Therapy?, Simple Minds, AC/DC, ZZ Top, The Darkness,
======================================================

In DC we got stuck with The Strokes...(yawn)
17th April 2007 02:21 AM
Honky Tonk Man It seems to be in the United States where the odd duff act seems to be. A few of the openers on the current tour spring to mind. I think the UK and Europe fairs a little better. Razorlight Kasabian, The Charlatans... theses are ideal warm up bands. Black Eyed Peas? Maroon, Kanye West???
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)