ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Pavillon D'Ermenonville - 22 September 1970
© Christian Simonpietri
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Governor issues statement regarding death of Don Ho Return to archive
15th April 2007 10:56 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Posted at 2:44 a.m., Sunday, April 15, 2007
Governor issues statement regarding death of Don Ho
Honolulu Advertiser

Gov. Linda Lingle issued the following statement on learning that entertainer Don Ho had died Saturday morning at age 76:

"Hawai`i has lost a true island treasure. Don Ho was one of Hawai`i's most famous sons, who shared the aloha spirit and our unique island lifestyle with people around the world through his music, friendship and goodwill. He laid the foundation for the international prominence Hawai`i's music industry enjoys today, and his legacy will continue to inspire future generations of Hawai`i musicians. My condolences go out to his family and his countless fans worldwide who adored his music, admired his easy-going style, and appreciated everything he represented about our islands."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Legendary Waikiki entertainer Don Ho dies
Malaysia Sun
Sunday 15th April, 2007

For over 40 years Don Ho performed in Waikiki, sharing the spirit of Aloha and introducing to audiences from all over the world, some of Hawaii's best entertainers.

The long reign came to an end Saturday morning when Ho, 76, died of a heart attack.

Five nights a week, Don Ho sat center-stage behind his Hammond Organ, singing some of his favorite songs, and talking yarns. He taught mainlanders how to make an 'Aloha' sign. He got audiences singing and clapping, and had many on stage. He started and concluded every performance with the song, 'Tiny Bubbles.'

Don was born in the little Honolulu neighborhood of Kakaako of Hawaiian, Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch, German parentage but soon moved to Kaneohe. His climb to heady heights began in a cocktail lounge in the windward Oahu town of Kaneohe called Honey's, named after his mother. After returning from the Air Force, Don took over Honey's in Kaneohe, Hawaii. 'When I took it over, the place was empty,' says Ho. It was packed everyday during the war years. My dad said 'Son, why don't you go make music.' Ho gathered a couple of friends who knew how to play musical instruments and started a band. 'I was terrible,' says Ho. 'So, I just played very softly.' Needless to say, business boomed.

Playing and learning from the talented musicians he hired for shows, Ho created his own musical image. In 1962, Ho began playing at Duke's in Waikiki. 'That's when things started happening for us with records, TV shows and everything,' he said. These were the days of Don's greatest development as an entertainer and a star. Backing him were the sensational five Aliis, playing piano, drums, two guitars, xylophone and doubling on half a dozen other instruments. Don presided at the organ, a glass of scotch in his hand, a cigarette burning in the ashtray, until he quit drinking and smoking fifteen years ago. The music was appreciated; the humor was fast and snappy. Tourists came, but so did locals and, after a while, visiting Hollywood stars, many of whom joined Don on stage.

Those rowdy, rollicking years brought stardom to Don and made Duke's Hawaii's most popular nightclub. Don, the Aliis, Duke Kahanamoku, Kimo McVay, young singers like Robin Wilson, Angel Pablo, Sam Kapu and everybody else on stage had a ball every night. The audience felt it and shared it and kept coming back for more. During his years at Duke's, Don literally erupted on the national show biz scene, first and most suddenly in a two-week engagement at Hollywood's Coconut Grove in 1966. His opening night was a triumph, breaking all previous attendance records, and he went on to play to turn-away crowds nightly.

With such a 'debut,' other star turns naturally followed: return engagements at the Grove, feature spots at the Sands in Las Vegas, Harrah's at Lake Tahoe, the Palmer House in Chicago, the Americana Hotel's Royal Box in New York, TV guest appearances with Johnny Carson, Joey Bishop and Art Linkletter, and his own hour-long color TV special, not to mention a clutch of best-selling LP record albums for Reprise.

Ho's publicist Donna Jung announced the popular singer's death on Saturday.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
15th April 2007 11:01 AM
fireontheplatter that artical has the word appreciate in it......cooool.

rip mr ho.
15th April 2007 11:12 AM
gimmekeef Was he a nappy head?
15th April 2007 12:19 PM
killerbitch From what I know Don Ho was sick for a long time. He was
a great person, and shall be sorely missed. RIP Don Ho.
15th April 2007 12:44 PM
gimmekeef I'm confusing him with the former WWF Intercontinental TV Champion....
15th April 2007 12:48 PM
GotToRollMe RIP, Don Ho.

15th April 2007 02:42 PM
pdog I think the proves that ho's are not black or female.
I'm working on the nappy thing, I'm think I'm growing dreads, iether that or I have a small birds nest in my hair.
15th April 2007 10:02 PM
glencar RIP Don Ho...
15th April 2007 10:03 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
pdog wrote:
I think the proves that ho's are not black or female.
I'm working on the nappy thing, I'm think I'm growing dreads, iether that or I have a small birds nest in my hair.

Rap a bandana and hang a couple of fishing lures around that bad boy and you're good to go!
16th April 2007 10:10 AM
corgi37 I blame the Tiki Bobby Brady found on the beach.

The curse lives!
16th April 2007 10:36 AM
jb Sad news...another icon lost. Aloha Mr. Ho, and may god bless you for the many years of entertainment you gave to millions. Moreover, you represented your Hawaiian heritage with pride and dignity.
16th April 2007 11:01 AM
glencar
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I blame the Tiki Bobby Brady found on the beach.

The curse lives!

That was 35 yrs ago! (Although "Oz" hasn't seen that series until last year wherein it knocked "Neighbors" from it's top perch in the ratings...)
16th April 2007 08:09 PM
texile
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I blame the Tiki Bobby Brady found on the beach.

The curse lives!

lol...
the brady's classic hawaiian extravaganza!
that was my only association to don ho...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)