ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Pavillon D'Ermenonville - 22 September 1970
© Christian Simonpietri
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tom Waits Finds News Disciples Return to archive
13th April 2007 03:24 PM
GotToRollMe From the timesonline:

Drugs, alcohol and sex: Why the Jesuits like Tom Waits

At last the Vatican has found a rock oddball who embodies the softer side of Christianity.

Even if Tom Waits's songs, which include Dragging a Dead Priest, are sung in a rasping voice that seems to have been soaked in a whisky barrel, he has won over friends in the Jesuit order. Barely a week after Pope Benedict XVI disclosed his dislike for the "prophets of pop" and Bob Dylan in particular, the Jesuits in Rome have embraced Waits as a Christian role model.

The latest issue of Civilta Cattolica, a Jesuit journal, the contents of which are subject to Vatican approval, says that Waits represents "the marginalised and misunderstood".

Father Antonio Spadaro, 40, who normally writes about literature but is emerging as a Roman Catholic authority on pop music, said that Waits had lived a youthful life of "drugs, alcohol and sex" as an outcast on the streets of California.

He therefore understood "the lower depths" of society, and was able to convey the desperation of those on the margins. His past also enabled him to express their "capacity for hope and instinct for happiness" in "authentic songs devoid of vanity and false illusions", Father Spadaro said.

The singer has not always drawn such comparisons. One critic described his voice as sounding "like it was soaked in a vat of bourbon, left hanging in the smokehouse for a few months and then taken outside and run over with a car".

His religious beliefs are equally difficult to pin down. "I don't know what's out there any more than anyone else, cause no one's really come back to tell me," Waits said in an interview in 2004. "I think everyone believes in something. Even people who don't believe in anything believe that."

Last week Pope Benedict - the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger - revealed in a book, John Paul II, My Beloved Predecessor, that he had warned the pontiff not to appear with Dylan at a pop concert in Bologna ten years ago.

As a cardinal, Pope Benedict condemned rock music as the work of the Devil. Last month, however, Father Spadaro insisted that rock was "not the music of Satan but has great expressive power which reaches peoples' souls". Speaking at a conference on rock music held by Civilta Cattolica, he said that rock was often "violent, angry, blasphemous and nihilistic", and was sometimes "imbued with Satanism".

But he said that it could be channelled towards "spiritual renewal" instead, citing Nick Cave, who survived alcohol and drug abuse to write songs "inspired by the Bible". Father Spadaro said that Waits also offered "hope of a new dawn".

The words

Jesus Gonna Be Here

Well I've been faithful
And I've been so good
Except for drinking
But he knew that I would
I'm gonna leave this place better
Than the way I found it was
And Jesus gonna be here Be here soon

Gospel Train

Come on people get on board
Train is leavin'
And there's room for one more
Just trust in the Lord
Wooo Woooo Woooo

Copyright Island Records, 1992/1993

Link: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article1527801.ece

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
13th April 2007 03:28 PM
monkey_man Tom Waits is God and leads the only church I go to faithfully.
13th April 2007 03:29 PM
Saint Sway been listening to Brawlers & Orphans in heavy rotation lately
13th April 2007 03:29 PM
pdog i really like Orphans.
13th April 2007 03:31 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:
i really like Orphans.

^ I hope this isnt the start of a new schtick...
13th April 2007 03:53 PM
gimmekeef I was in the quarter finals to be the next Pope...until they found out I wasnt Catholic....
14th April 2007 05:07 PM
_Boomy_ Tom Waits..........................RULES.
14th April 2007 05:44 PM
Mel Belli The "Snow White" work song is demented!
14th April 2007 06:07 PM
mojoman tom waits for no one..........
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)