ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Pavillon D'Ermenonville - 22 September 1970
© Christian Simonpietri
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RIP Kurt Vonnegut Return to archive Page: 1 2
12th April 2007 01:16 AM
Brainbell Jangler We have lost one of the great writers of our time and one of the biggest influences on my (and many of my cogenerationals') worldview.

God bless you, Mr. Vonnegut.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/ap_on_re_us/obit_vonnegut
12th April 2007 01:38 AM
Starbuck vonnegut served in europe during the war. he was taken prisoner and was in dresden when the firebombing occurred.

where's wikipedia boy when you need him?

"He attended Cornell University from 1941 to 1943, where he served as an opinions section editor for the student newspaper, the Cornell Daily Sun, and majored in chemistry before joining the U.S. Army during World War II. While attending Cornell University he was a member of the Delta Upsilon Fraternity, following in the footsteps of his father. Later, he joined the war against poverty by establishing what was known as the IFF, the International Feeding Fund. Although this is not widely known, Vonnegut played a crucial role in the short but effective life of this organization. His experiences as an advance scout with the U.S. 106th Infantry Division during the Battle of the Bulge, and as a prisoner of war earned him a Purple Heart and have influenced much of his work.

While a prisoner of war, Vonnegut witnessed the aftermath of the 1945 bombing of Dresden, Germany, which destroyed much of the city. Vonnegut was one of just seven American prisoners of war in Dresden to survive, in an underground meatpacking cellar known as Slaughterhouse Five. "Utter destruction," he recalls. "Carnage unfathomable." The Nazis put him to work gathering bodies for mass burial ... Vonnegut explains. "But there were too many corpses to bury. So instead the Nazis sent in guys with flamethrowers. All these civilians' remains were burned to ashes." [4] This experience formed the core of his most famous work, Slaughterhouse-Five and is a theme in at least six other books.[4]"

12th April 2007 05:18 AM
lotsajizz RIP Kurt
12th April 2007 11:07 PM
Brainbell Jangler That's it? Two lousy responses in honor of the greatest satirist of his age? I'm deeply disappointed and ashamed of all of you.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/Entertainment/Kurt_Vonnegut
[Edited by Brainbell Jangler]
13th April 2007 12:23 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
That's it? Two lousy responses in honor of the greatest satirist of his age? I'm deeply disappointed and ashamed of all of you.

Dude, none of these white boys can hang - they thinks they throw in a "shizzle" or a "nizzle" and they thinks they's fucking niggers now? Nah suh. Hep don't fly like that. At least in my lifetime it don't. Damn up - Hill up.
13th April 2007 12:42 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Dude, none of these white boys can hang - they thinks they throw in a "shizzle" or a "nizzle" and they thinks they's fucking niggers now? Nah suh. Hep don't fly like that. At least in my lifetime it don't. Damn up - Hill up.

Ain't it the truth?
"The big trouble with dumb bastards is that they are too dumb to believe there is such a thing as being smart."--Kurt Vonnegut, from The Sirens of Titan (1959)
13th April 2007 12:42 AM
mac_daddy
he was terrific - an american icon, and one of my favorites. slaughterhouse 5 gets all the hype, but hocus pocus is the one i like the most...

r.i.p.
13th April 2007 01:09 AM
Brainbell Jangler In January 2003, on the eve of the Iraq invasion, Vonnegut condemned the Bush war policy as "nonsense" in an interview in In These Times. Here's a brief excerpt:

"I myself feel that our country, for whose Constitution I fought in a just war, might as well have been invaded by Martians and body snatchers. Sometimes I wish it had been. What has happened, though, is that it has been taken over by means of the sleaziest, low-comedy, Keystone Cops-style coup d'etat imaginable. And those now in charge of the federal government are upper-crust C-students who know no history or geography, plus not-so-closeted white supremacists, aka 'Christians,' and plus, most frighteningly, psychopathic personalities, or 'PPs.'"

Here's the whole interview:
http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/44/kurt_vonnegut_vs_the/
13th April 2007 01:47 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

Ain't it the truth?
"The big trouble with dumb bastards is that they are too dumb to believe there is such a thing as being smart."--Kurt Vonnegut, from The Sirens of Titan (1959)

This is a board where George Walker Bush III is still actually considered a competent Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. military, posting all fucking day in every thread makes you a "great" poster, and people actually care who Anna Nicole Smith and American Idol are.

It is no surprise to me whatsoever, that only one or two people knew the bizarre genius of Billy Pilgrim. I'm jiggy with it - it all happened once.

Despite being German, Vonnegut could write and think - he had the goods. Full boat.
13th April 2007 07:42 AM
_Boomy_
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

This is a board where George Walker Bush III is still actually considered a competent Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. military, posting all fucking day in every thread makes you a "great" poster, and people actually care who Anna Nicole Smith and American Idol are.

It is no surprise to me whatsoever, that only one or two people knew the bizarre genius of Billy Pilgrim. I'm jiggy with it - it all happened once.

Despite being German, Vonnegut could write and think - he had the goods. Full boat.

You're pretty angry, aren't you?
13th April 2007 08:42 AM
Nasty Habits "When you're dead you're dead."

Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

13th April 2007 08:58 AM
Highwire Rob RIP, Mr. Vonnegut.

and so it goes
13th April 2007 09:28 AM
GotToRollMe Aw shit. We've lost a true genius. I was so knocked out by "Breakfast Of Champions" when I was a kid that I read everything I could find by this guy.

Goodnight, Mr. Vonnegut, and thank you.

13th April 2007 12:50 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:

You're pretty angry, aren't you?

If you're not angry, you're not paying attention.
13th April 2007 12:51 PM
jb dude was old
13th April 2007 01:33 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

If you're not angry, you're not paying attention.

Can't see the picture. Only the red X.
13th April 2007 03:54 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:

Fucking "gif" files. It's the bumper sticker: "Thanks for not paying attention. Bush/Cheney '04"
13th April 2007 03:54 PM
jb
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:

dude was old
13th April 2007 03:59 PM
monkey_man He was one of the original VJ's on MTV. . .a great man.
13th April 2007 04:02 PM
jb
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
He was one of the original VJ's on MTV. . .a great man.

He had a good fro , even to the end.
13th April 2007 04:06 PM
gimmekeef I have a 65" HDTV...what do I need with books?.....
13th April 2007 04:07 PM
monkey_man
quote:
jb wrote:

He had a good fro , even to the end.

A non jew with a great jew fro
13th April 2007 04:07 PM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
I have a 65" HDTV...what do I need with books?.....

Nice....the new ones are incrdible!!!! Sony has a really nice 65 inch hdtv, and you won't beleive how affordabel!!! The new tech is 1080p...
13th April 2007 04:10 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:
dude was old

quote:
jb wrote:

At 44, I need pain pills to get out of the bed !!! If I am in trial, I get back spasms if I have to stand too long....getting old sucks...I also suffer from constipation and have to take several products like 1)Benefiber 2)Miralax, 3)Durolax stool softeners, and a few others...Who would think that a good bowel movement was a privilege, not a right!!!

13th April 2007 04:12 PM
fireontheplatter i think i've heard of this guy.
13th April 2007 04:13 PM
GotToRollMe One of my favorite Vonnegut quotes, and very appropriate for the day:

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:

THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC.

13th April 2007 04:14 PM
jb
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
One of my favorite Vonnegut quotes, and very appropriate for the day:

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:

THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC.

Think he ever heard SOL?
13th April 2007 04:30 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
jb wrote:

Think he ever heard SOL?

LOL....Maybe he played it for the first time yesterday....ooops...no ...you dont think??????
13th April 2007 04:53 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
jb wrote:

Think he ever heard SOL?

I would LOVE to get videotape of you singing along to SOL while you're cruising down I-95 in the Mercedes.
14th April 2007 10:40 AM
glencar
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
That's it? Two lousy responses in honor of the greatest satirist of his age? I'm deeply disappointed and ashamed of all of you.

Been busy, man! It's tax time. Spring has sprung. He was one of my favorite writers & I'll always love his early output. At least he lived a long full life. RIP Mr. Vonnegut.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)