ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rob Day
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: bill gets bass back Return to archive
April 11th, 2004 07:32 PM
fmk438j Emotional rescue: how Bill Wyman got his bass back
By Tom Cardy
April 12, 2004

All I Want Is My Baby . . . Nick Sceats with Wyman's bass. Photo: Rob Kitchin

For more than 15 years, a teardrop-shaped guitar hung on the bedroom wall of New Zealand musician Nick Sceats.

Its strings had been replaced several times, there was a scratch on the back of its body and a couple of nicks on its sides, but it still sounded good.

But this was no ordinary bass. For years Sceats had heard stories from other musicians in Wellington about the guitar, but he had no idea if any were true.

The words "Wyman Bass" adorned its head. Guitar manufacturer Vox made a few hundred of the bass guitars in the 1960s and the story went that one had been endorsed by Rolling Stones bass player Bill Wyman.

Legend had it that the guitar had been stolen from Wyman when the Stones played in Wellington in 1966. Now, after some investigative work, a stunned Sceats has discovered the truth. Last week, a letter from Wyman confirmed the guitar really did belong to the millionaire rock musician. "I was so delighted to read your email regarding my long-lost, but not forgotten, Vox bass guitar," Wyman wrote.

"I just couldn't believe it had turned up and that you were trying to make contact to return it to me - my profound thanks to you."

advertisement

advertisement

With the guitar's history confirmed, it could be of considerable value. But Sceats air-freighted the bass back to Wyman on Thursday. He expects nothing in return.

"I'm just kind of doing the right thing in closing the loop," he said. "I don't see why he should pay for something that was stolen from him."

The guitar's previous owner, Shane Tibby, a member of the Wellington band The Bluetts along with Sceats, gave the instrument in lieu of cash to Sceats who was owed $NZ400 for a recording session in the 1980s.

Tibby had acquired it from a flatmate who owed him money. Tibby knew nothing of its history until he walked into a practice room and a drummer for The Bluetts, Tim Robinson, recognised it, saying: "Ah, you've got the Wyman bass then."

It had apparently changed hands several times when its owners were short of cash.

Most of the time it stayed in Wellington, but one story says it spent a brief interlude in Rotorua.

Sceats said: "I wondered, 'Is this really Bill Wyman's bass?' How do you get a hold of Bill Wyman?"

Sceats eventually discovered a Bill Wyman fan club on the internet and was able to contact the man himself.

The fact that Wyman could remember the bass did not surprise him. Wyman kept detailed diaries and is meticulous about dates.

Keith Richards would never have remembered.

Dominion Post

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/11/1081621836159.html

April 11th, 2004 07:49 PM
fmk438j
And they say we're the ones decended from convicts ; )

April 12th, 2004 04:56 AM
egon
quote:
fmk438j wrote:
Keith Richards would never have remembered.

keef would have kicked the living shit out of anyone that even tried to touch his guitar, let alone steal it.
April 12th, 2004 08:32 AM
Bovine49 Wyman should give the guy some present like another guitar or bass. Sceats didn't know he had received stolen property.
April 12th, 2004 03:28 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Bovine49 wrote:
Wyman should give the guy some present like another guitar or bass. Sceats didn't know he had received stolen property.

MOOO MOOO

[Edited by Bloozehound]
April 12th, 2004 05:08 PM
gotdablouse Let's see if Bill lives up to his reputation as a mean old man!

I wonder if all the guitars that were stolen at Villa Nellcote ever showed up?
April 12th, 2004 05:49 PM
Jumacfly Bill should send this guy a pair of girls legs photo..
April 12th, 2004 06:33 PM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Bill should send this guy a pair of girls legs photo..

Bill should send this guy there phone numbers