ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rob Day
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Favorite Stones remake Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 11th, 2004 06:57 AM
JaggaRichards Have we forgotten all those Chuck Berry covers?
April 11th, 2004 07:17 AM
J.J.Flash No no fellow, those are holy....Bye Bye Johnny is my top choice. When they played this song, between 69-73, the energy that Keith and Taylor had, oh man, in my humble opinion, when they played this song, they were the "Greatest Rock'n'Roll band in the World", in all its credits.
April 11th, 2004 10:16 AM
Bob Tamp I guess it all depends what you are looking for in a remake:
I thought Jagger's vocal on MY GIRL from the Flowers album was pretty authentic.
April 11th, 2004 11:58 AM
exilestones@netscape Just my Imagination live Passiac 78 & Tempe 81.
April 12th, 2004 08:40 AM
JaggaRichards Worst cover ever was 'Chantilly Lace' live in '83.
A rare misstep for Mick and the boys.
April 12th, 2004 03:52 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
cry to me

That's what I was gonna post!
April 12th, 2004 03:56 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
rocker wrote:
"Drift Away"

who wrote this one?
April 12th, 2004 04:43 PM
shakedhandswithkeith Drift Away ist from Eric Donaldson. He wrotes Cherry Oh Baby too
April 12th, 2004 05:05 PM
Gazza No he didnt. It was written by Mentor Williams and was first a big hit for Dobie Gray a few months before the Stones cut it.

I dont think the Stones version of "Just My Imagination" eclipses the original. The Temptations' version is simply one of the greatest ballads of all time. Eddie Kendricks' vocal is sheer perfection.

I love the Stones version too. I'm glad they did it in a completely different style because its effectively a different song, both musically and in its delivery. Its wonderful - but in a very different way from the Temps. Their cover of "Aint too proud to beg" was fabulous too. Really loved hearing that again on the last tour, it was marvellous at Astoria during that "soul revue" part of the show.

My fave Stones cover is "You Cant Catch Me". They've never played it live and I'd kill to see them do it on the b-stage on the next tour. The studio version absolutely cooks. An underappreciated and criminally overlooked gem.
April 12th, 2004 06:46 PM
Bloozehound They did some good covers on FF.

What about "Love Train" off FF

haha

I like it.

I also liked Redding's "That's How Strong My Love Is" & B.B.'s "Rock Me Baby" too.

One reason I love the Stones is their ability to make cover material their own, and/or make it as good or better than the source (IMO).

May favorite?

I really like "Imagination" as well. Of coarse "Love in Vain", and "Hip Shake" are classics. Also, "Down the Road Apiece" off NOW! I love that one too.

I'll probably go with "Love In Vain" because it's such a beautiful song, plus its historical significance to the Stones.

Page: 1 2