ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rob Day
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Charlie Watts album - listen to a sample! Return to archive
April 8th, 2004 07:45 AM
Monkey Woman Charlie and his jazz ensemble are going to release in June a new album. Recorded live at Ronnie Scott's Club in 2001, features at least one tune co-written by Mick & Keith. Check a sample here:

Faction (Jagger/Richards/Presencer )
http://www.sanctuaryclassics.com/product_details.php?productId=6234

Charlie Watts & The Tentet
New album out soon on Sanctuary's Black Box label
For a taste of what's to come click here and have listen!

During the past 17 years, the Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts has been able to pursue his passion for jazz, playing in a variety of settings whenever he wasn't otherwise engaged with the "World's Greatest Rock 'n Roll Band."

In 1985, he formed a big band and toured the States, ultimately releasing Live at Fulham Town Hall on the Sony label. In 1991, he formed a small group to pay homage to the music that first grabbed him while growing up in London. In a span of five years, The Charlie Watts Quintet released a series of stellar recordings -- From One Charlie, Tribute To Charlie Parker, Warm And Tender and Long Ago And Far Away.

Currently, Charlie tours with his 10-piece band Charlie Watts And The Tentet reaffirming his ongoing love affair with jazz. You can catch him at Ronnie Scott's Club Monday 5th - Saturday 17th April 2004 although there are only limited tickets available.

Charlie Watts and the Tentet will present their stunning new album which was recorded live in June 2001 at Ronnie Scott�s Jazz Club, on Sanctuary Records� Black Box label this June.

http://www.sanctuaryclassics.com/index.php?section=3&subsection=1&getArticleId=305
April 8th, 2004 08:05 AM
charlotte Thanks!! excellent!!
April 8th, 2004 08:15 AM
caro Aww thanks MW, I love it!
Forgive my ignorance, but was the song specially written for the Tentet? Or did I miss something?
April 8th, 2004 08:28 AM
HeyNegrita That's cool news about Charlie's tentet. As a new poster could anyone tell me the easiest (free) way to upload a jpeg image for an avatar? I realize this has probabally been addressed a million times before. Thanks.
April 8th, 2004 08:40 AM
caro
quote:
As a new poster could anyone tell me the easiest (free) way to upload a jpeg image for an avatar? I realize this has probabally been addressed a million times before.

Yes it has, but it's always nice to discover a new avatar! So :
-your pic needs to be already online on some other site. You can't upload a pic directly from your computer. But if the pic you want isn't online (and you don't have your own webpage), you can go to www.photobucket.com and create a photo album. That site hosts images for free.
-Then you copy the pic's URL
-At the top of the Rocks Off page, there's a link that says "update profile". Go there, scrool down and copy your pic's URL into the "Avatar" box.
-Post another message to see if it works. If it doesn't, send an angry email to the admins. Or insult me. Good luck!
April 8th, 2004 09:01 AM
Monkey Woman Yeah, caro, it's a good sample. I don't know how it was written but it feels like a Mick and/or Keith jam on a classic jazz theme, a la "Jamming With Edwards". The guys who add to or modify the original riffs can be credited too.
April 8th, 2004 09:28 AM
Mathijs Am I the only one who can't stand 15 minute sax solo's which goes on and on and on, getting freakier every second? I guess I will never understand jazz....

If you recognise Jagger/Richards in this "attack of the sax solo" you definitively hear somethinbg else than I do!

Mathijs
April 8th, 2004 10:32 AM
HeyNegrita Thanks caro for the advice. Hopefully it worked. Has anyone on this board been to any of Charlie's tentet shows this month?
April 8th, 2004 04:31 PM
F505 I do like Charlie very much but his jazz is too middle of the road and not exciting. Mick and Keith will be happy with it though
April 8th, 2004 05:47 PM
Monkey Woman News from Iorr.org:

Charlie Watts and his Tentet is currently playing at the Ronnie Scotts jazz club in London, UK. The band is on for 12 shows from April 5 to 17. The set includes a version of "You Can't Always Get Whast You Want", arranged by Gerard Presencer.

Charlie's profile on Ronnie Scott's Club website:
http://www.ronniescotts.co.uk/ronnie_scotts/ronniescotts/147/07.htm

CHARLIE WATTS
�Once the thrill of �Ooh, it�s �im� is over, it�ll be OK...� Charlie Watts, despite forty years� experience drumming with the world�s most famous rock band, makes no bones about his apprehension concerning leading ten of his favourite UK jazz musicians through a two-week residency. �I go through the fear of playing every time � I worry about the thing � but once you�re up there, it�s fine.�

BEGINNINGS

Such modesty is entirely characteristic. Even when he�s explaining how he got into music in the first place, Watts is careful to give credit where it�s due, in this case to his childhood friend and neighbour, now one of Europe�s leading bassists, Dave Green. �His back door (a prefab) was next to ours. He had a tea-chest; I played an upside-down banjo with brushes. Then he got a huge German bass, and by the time he was eighteen, he was at Ronnie�s with Ben Webster.� Watts, meanwhile, was putting his toe in the water of the UK R&B scene, playing with Alexis Korner and Cyril Davies. Watts describes Korner as �a great bandleader, with great ears, who put that dance thing back into the Marquee�, but when another drummer, Ginger Baker (�bless him, he played fabulous�), came on the scene, Watts moved over, only to find that fame had him marked out anyhow, laying down the beat for the Rolling Stones.

INFLUENCES

Although he�s very impressed with the sheer technical proficiency of the likes of the late Tony Williams or with the bristling energy of fusion/jazz-rock drummers such as Dave Weckl and Jon Hiseman, Charlie Watts�s favourite jazz drummer is the subtlest of them all, Kenny Clarke. To convey his admiration for the late Paris-based legend, Watts resorts to miming the most delicate of swishes on a cymbal: �He had that touch � he was Fred Astaire, the way he played and looked.� Those familiar with the driving simplicity of the Stones� music might be a little taken aback by the delicacy and relative complexity of jazz rhythms, and Watts is conscious of the great difference between the styles: �The Stones are basically a blues band, and in the blues, once you�ve got the groove, that�s it. In jazz, it�s got a lot of air in it, it does move around, and I don�t really do that, so it makes it interesting.

TRUMPS

�Really, you should have a band together on the road for six months before you go into Ronnie�s, but this doesn�t mean that the people I�ve asked to play with me won�t come up trumps � that�s how good they are.� To the core quintet who have toured and recorded with Watts � bassist Dave Green, pianist Brian Lemon, front-line soloists Peter King (alto) and Gerard Presencer (trumpet) � Watts has added a selection of the country�s finest, tenor player Evan Parker and vibes player Anthony Kerr among them, to ensure that, in Watts�s words, it is �a fabulous blowing band� � to which, with predictable self-deprecation, he adds the rider: �Without me, of course; I�ve got to try and play it all with them...�

Charlie Watts and his Tentet are at the club from
Monday 5th - Saturday 17th April
April 9th, 2004 12:02 PM
steel driving hammer Thanks love.
April 9th, 2004 12:19 PM
glencar Thanks for the listen. I just love long sax solos!
April 9th, 2004 12:22 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Thanks for the listen. I just love long sax solos!

April 9th, 2004 12:26 PM
glencar Joey, I missed seeing Sean Hannity by a mere 48 hours! Oy vey!
April 9th, 2004 12:26 PM
Joey
April 9th, 2004 12:28 PM
glencar I spent a week in FLA & never saw a certain lawyer type.
April 9th, 2004 12:38 PM
jb [quote]glencar wrote:
I spent a week in FLA & never saw a certain lawyer type.
[/quote

Where did you stay?
April 9th, 2004 12:44 PM
glencar I was in Tallahassee & Orlando. I saw an Aerosmith concert & you're not going to like this but they were excellent. No back-up singers & the piano playa was behind the scenes.
April 9th, 2004 12:47 PM
jb Orlando is about 3 hrs north of me and Tallahassee about 6....