ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

1969 - Baron Wolman
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Vocals on Exile Return to archive
04-15-03 07:50 AM
gimmekeef I always thought that Exile should have been a bigger success commercially and ranked higher in all time hits.(even recognizing that double albums never quite sold as well etc).My opinion is that Mick's vocal mix which for most non Stones fans is impossible to understand but a few words per song.When I blast that album at a party most folks love the rythms and beats but lose steam because they can't sing along or hear the words.Don't get me wrong I still love the album to death but feel if the lyrics could be heard it would have been a much bigger album for the band as far as historical rankings.
04-15-03 07:56 AM
fmk438j one of the million or so comments on exile I read on the net was that how great mick's voice is in the mix because it is treated as another instrument, and not imposed over the rest. This being a great strength of exile.

I like it, but I see your point.
04-15-03 07:56 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Interesting point, but I think what makes that album a masterpiece is the fact that it's so murky and raw, especially when they just strip it down and yell a la "Sweet Virginia", with Mick sounding like he's having to drag the words outta himself and the barroom stomp chorus with everyone yelling along behind it. It's that uneven feeling along with Jimmy Miller's allowance of the tape to be the tape (According to Mickboy, the master tape for "Happy" got crinkled at one point, so Jimmy Miller just made the song even more indistinct during the second chorus and nobody noticed).

I think it's awesome the way the vocals aren't brought up in the mix. You really feel like it was recorded in Keith's basement, overdubs and all (even though they went to LA to finish it and some of the songs are Sticky Fingers leftovers). It's that feeling of just murky energy that really makes so many people think of Exile as one of the cornerstones of Rock'n'roll.

And I sing along to "Rocks Off" (which I know all the words to) and "Rip This Joint" (which I don't) and "All Down The Line' (which I guess at) all the time.

-tSYX --- I sung my song to Mr. Jimmy...
04-15-03 12:38 PM
jb Please comment on the U.S. single release of "All down the Line". Was it slightly different than the version on "Exile"?

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003