ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

1969 - Baron Wolman
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Top 5 Recordings Of "Midnight Rambler" Return to archive
04-11-03 01:35 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Haven't they played this number on every tour since the song's release in 1969?

It's become the quintessential song to hear, just the ultimate in crunchy blues "I'm going to kill you" rock'n'roll.

What're, in your opinion, the best five or so versions of it? ('Cause I don't have any of 'em.) The version on Ya-Ya's is awesome, but I can't shake the feeing that better versions were recorded from 72-73.

-tSYX --- The dogs begin to bark, all over my neighborhood...
04-11-03 01:46 PM
steel driving hammer They didn't do it for the Voodoo Lounge Tour.

With that stage they had, they should of done it.

It would of worked very well.

That stage seemed it was made just for that song.

They didn't do it for the Babylon Tour either.

04-11-03 01:51 PM
marko well,they did rambler in south america,johannesburg and
few times in europe.But hmmm my fave versions.thats tough.
1.brussels
2.la july 9th 1975
3.vienna 7.31.90
4.rio de janerio 2.4.95
5.san diego 11.14.02

nah,,,i can�t just pick up 5!
04-11-03 01:59 PM
Nasty Habits I love Sydney '73 -- some very wild playing between Keith and Taylor and Mick does that incredible Indian scream in the middle of the fast part.

No Rambler in '78 or '81 or '82.

04-11-03 02:22 PM
jb Sydney 73 is by far the best.....
04-11-03 02:41 PM
FPM C10 Mick made a statement about giving it a rest after the '76 tour - that whipping the stage with his belt was getting a bit rote. I'm glad I got to see him do that whole sado-masochistic schtick in '75 before he shelved it. It was CLASSIC.

The next two tours - '78 and '81-'82 - didn't feature ANY of the great SCARY Stones songs. No Rambler, no Shelter, no Sympathy. Certainly no Paint It Black. Broad daylight! The sunshine bores the daylights outta ME! (That's why these two are my LEAST favorite tours.) I think Mick was purposefully trying to distance the band from their Satanic past. Thankfully, by the time of the Rebirth in '89, a more balanced picture of the Stones - fun AND scary, serious AND goofy - had emerged.

MR WAS played on the Voodoo Lounge tour - in Japan, I think. Maybe South America. I know they did it SOMEWHERE.

I only have two real favorite versions - the original studio version, which has the same chilling ambience as a Robert Johnson recording, and which carved its initials in my tender young synapses back in 1970; and the version I saw in Pittsburgh in '99 from right in front of Keith (see my comments on "Transcendence" down the page apiece.) OK, and the Brussels version. And the one they did on HBO recently. And every version I've ever seen or heard.
04-11-03 02:48 PM
jb I would have to reject any performances from 89 forward as even coming remotely close to the 69-73 performances of MR with the great Mick Taylor. Lets face it, when he left the band, the greatest era in rock-n-roll ceased to exist. The versions from 89 forward are good, but just lack the feel without Taylor's lead guitar.
04-11-03 02:50 PM
sandrew I think Atlantic City '89 is, next to "Ya Ya's," the best version I've ever heard. I always harp on this but Charlie was at his swingin' best on that tour, and he just cooked on that song in A.C.
04-11-03 02:52 PM
jb I have to reject 89 as the best version next to Ya , Ya's.
04-11-03 03:44 PM
Child of the Moon My personal top five:
1. The original studio version - nothing is even in the same ballpark as this. Later live versions were intense, sure... but this song is just downright spooky.

2. Brussels, '73 - Certainly the longest one I've heard so far, and it's definitely friggin' instense.

3. Tacoma, '02 - Probably just because I was there for it. My wish came true that night, and they played it like it was friggin' 1972.

4. Ft. Worth, '72 - The first live version I'd ever heard, after Ya-Ya's. It IS the version that's on Ladies and Gentlemen, right? What a rush.

5. Sydney, '73 - Almost on par w/ Brussels. Great energy going. Perth '73 is also really great.
04-11-03 04:39 PM
J.J.Flash Let me say that Midnight Rambler is one of my top 10 Stones songs. The best versions goes as follows:
1- Brussels
2- Get Your Leeds Lungs Out
3- Studio
4- Get Yer Ya-Ya�s Out
5- Sydney.
Cheers!!

[Edited by J.J.Flash]
04-11-03 04:58 PM
padre The HBO take on MR was excellent!! Charlie's hitting those skins like he's friggin' 27 years old! The band seems really to enjoy doing that blues on the HBO gig. No extra players messing around, just the five guys playing like they're on fire (or was good ol' Chuckie there too?).
04-11-03 06:12 PM
Joey 1.Brussels
2.Brussels
3.Brussels
4.Brussels
5.Brussels

For any question you might have there is but one answer and one answer only ........................Brussels .

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACKY !
04-11-03 06:43 PM
sirfito 1/Original version
2/Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
3/Get Your Leeds Lungs Out
4/Brussels
5/LA '75

Of course the Argentinean versions in '95 and HBO recently too!
04-11-03 07:11 PM
icydanger
drooling
i love that song
04-12-03 02:53 AM
Bluzian Umm... love the 'Rambler.. always.. and I believe that they
should encore with this and YCAGWYW. I think these two master
pieces should be saved for the bitter end of the concert.
Just fucking incredible songs!!!! :-)

1) Perth '73
2) Brussels '73
3) HBO special
4) July 5th '69 (rough version, but dirty)
5) Ya-Yas.

The Knebworth '76 version is rather interesting if any
of you ever get a chance to see it.

Cheers,
Ian
04-12-03 03:06 AM
Cant Catch Me The best, very best ever performance of Midnight Rambler of all time will always be the one you're listening to at that moment, at home on the stereo, in the car, walking down the street while it's playing from somebody else's car radio, in the stadium, an arena, wherever, whatever.

But if you're at the controls and get to play DJ, ya' might as well put on one of the historically most excellent ones, which include Brussels, Sydney, Perth. Some of the '72 ones are great too, I just can't remember which ones really stand out.

04-12-03 03:08 AM
fmk438j Number 1.

A certain Enmore Theatre 18th Feb 2003 opening number.

Alright, I really have no idea if this was a great, OK, or excellent version, but that night, 3 feet away it was mesmerising, of course.

Number 2.

Brussels = ecstacy.

Every little blip and bam and crunch is pure joy. One of those tracks you wish was an hour long version.
04-12-03 05:50 AM
stonedinaustralia that was going to be my choice too fmk...

i can't wait to hear a boot of that show and tyr and get soem kind of objective (or at least more removed) perspective on it...that version of the song was, to my ears, totally out of it...keith looked wired while he was playing it - the opening number you'll recall!!- and so was his playing - he was really on the edge of it and not evrything he attempted did he pull off but that's why it was so awe inspring

if "brussels" is the same as "nasty music" then yeah that's a great rendition...i don't think i've heard sydney '73..

yas' ya's 'tho is most electrical...even by '72 mick had lost the shock value of the belt routine

and i agree FPM there is something about the studio version which is , 'tho misunderstood by some to be sterile and stilted, (imo) quite chilling...a palpable air of premeditated and calculated malevolence about it
04-12-03 07:33 PM
throbby Do any of you old timers remember the LP cut of MR? It has that wild laugh in the middle part. Does this exist on any CD version? My CD of Let It Bleed has it edited out.

I like the guitars in the Ya-Ya's version.

As for the best version I've witnessed, Roseland.
[Edited by throbby]
04-12-03 08:27 PM
Maxlugar
quote:
jb wrote:
I would have to reject any performances from 89 forward as even coming remotely close to the 69-73 performances of MR with the great Mick Taylor. Lets face it, when he left the band, the greatest era in rock-n-roll ceased to exist. The versions from 89 forward are good, but just lack the feel without Taylor's lead guitar.

I'd have to agree there, dreidel spining pal.

Case in point was the Harford '99 show I was at. Keith was all over the damn song with these monster loud riffs. It really was a work of art. But there was almost no lead guitar to be heard. I find Taylor's live work on that song Vital to its menace. Woody did a pretty good job in '75 -'76.

I too can not accept any MR post '76 as a great example of that song. '75 from the LA show was balls out frantic. Just the way I likes it.
04-12-03 08:34 PM
tumblingdice # 1 Brussels
#2 HBO Show, played on a good stereo it was great
#3 Tampa 3-3-99 Live on the b stage, great!!!!
#4 Atlanta 10-26-02, great to hear it live in person again
#5 did I mention Brussels, the best version for me period, especially the part where the song almost stops and those great riffs before it kicks back in. Every boot I listen to I hope to hear it that way again but none have come close.
04-13-03 12:26 AM
Cant Catch Me Also, doesn't "Hot Rocks" have a live Rambler that's different than the "Get Your Ya Yas Out" version? I think I remember that, but I'm not certain since I don't have "Hot Rocks."

If it does have an alternate live version of "Rambler," I'm really curious about where it's from and how it stacks up compared to others. Anybody know and/or have an opinion?

And, if it does, it raises the question of how the song sounds on the SACD remasters. Anybody heard it and care to venture an opinion?
04-13-03 09:55 AM
Maxlugar [quote]Cant Catch Me wrote:
Also, doesn't "Hot Rocks" have a live Rambler that's different than the "Get Your Ya Yas Out" version? I think I remember that, but I'm not certain since I don't have "Hot Rocks."

Nope. It's the exact same one.

04-14-03 12:31 PM
Sir Stonesalot The correct answer to every question is "Midnight Rambler".--SS 1999.

CCM has the only correct assessment. The best version of Midnight Rambler is the one you are currently hearing.

Q: Should the US have ousted Saddam Hussein?
A: Midnight Rambler

See. It works every time.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003