ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

1969 - Baron Wolman
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: CDRS - what brand do you use? Return to archive Page: 1 2
04-11-03 10:06 AM
Lazy Bones Woody's concern with his cdrs has prompted me to see what cdrs others are using. Presumably, everyone uses 80-min cdrs now.

I buy PINE.
04-11-03 10:19 AM
steel driving hammer I use Maxell or TDK.

Never use Memorex for bootleg trading...

There is a girl on this board who uses Memorex though.

I won't spill the beans, all though I could, but I won't.

Memorex are the cheapest stand alones blanks on the market.

Sort of like the Yugo's of CDR's.

Would you rather have a Yugo CDR or a Lexus CDR?

You get what you pay for and you get what you need.

I never use these, especially the Memorex "Cool Colors" CDR's.

Is it live? Or is it Memorsux.

04-11-03 10:23 AM
marko memorex has worked wine,the ones i have used.
For PC i use whatever brand.
For stand alone,TDK
04-11-03 10:30 AM
Angiegirl TDK, Sony, More, Kodak or a cheaper brand for less important stuff, but not the cheapest, it's still good.
Always 80 minutes, unless the disc is really less than 74 minutes (because people sometimes send me 74 min when I ask for 80, and use 80, for a trade...).
04-11-03 11:13 AM
voodoopug I use Memorex for my cpu burner and have had no problems with them, i actually like how thick they are and have a white label on them.

for my sony stand alone, I usually use TDK or Fuji, they both work pretty well for me.
04-11-03 12:06 PM
Sir Stonesalot I have had nothing but problems with the cheapy brands.

I have had good luck with Fuji discs. Never had a coaster with them. TDKs are good too. I've also had good use of Imation CDRs. Sony & Kodak make good quality stuff as well.

But please...please...please...stay away from Memorex. I also had big problems with the WalMart Durabrand CDRs. I got a 10 pack of those and only 3 worked.

And if you do use cheapy brands...please don't write on them. The ink will seep through into the encoded area of the disc and cause read errors. It doesn't happen overnight, but it does happen withing a couple of years. So I'm going through my stuff and transferring discs that may be at risk.

04-11-03 12:43 PM
Martha I'm still so new at this right now I'm working my way through a stack of blank TDK's 80 min. I have not had any problems that I know of to date though.

I appreciate the info regarding Memorex brand.....we never used that brand of video tape as it had a bad rep. I may have used them as CD-R's though don't remember right off but will avoid this brand now that I've heard how shitty they are.

I've also used my husband's in-house brand of gold discs: Quantegy. All of the discs have worked good for us so far, but I just got my burner and haven't used it a lot. I know not everyone's burner is the same and some only accept certain types of blanks.

I primarily use the burner at Hubby's workplace and it kicks ass..(industrial strength). I just wish they would've went ahead and ordered the additional computer package to allow us to make DVD/VCD copies...but they didn't spring for it! Shucks!

I do appreciate hearing about this subject from those of you with more experience than I have.....and obviously hard-earned in some cases. That bleeding through ink story is not good news at all!

Shudder........
04-11-03 12:51 PM
Factory Girl I use Maxell or Fuji or Imation.

steelie-check yourself, seriously.
04-11-03 01:00 PM
Factory Girl SS, is it ok to write on the clear inner part? Must put numbers somewhere.
04-11-03 01:26 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I use Maxell or Fuji or Imation.

steelie-check yourself, seriously.

Um, YOU sent me 4 "Cool Colors" Memorex Stones CDR's.

Actually, you've sent me NOTHING BUT Memorex.

Check yourself before I eject yourself.

04-11-03 01:30 PM
scope I have been using Sony for quite some time and never had a problem. I just bought some Imation (sale that I couldn't refuse), but only used them once so far and no problem.

I also bought those Verbatim CDR's that look like 45's because they looked cool and brought back lots of memories. Again, only 1 used so far and no problem, but I'll be careful on how I use them until there is more to basis to decide if they should be used as conversation pieces.
04-11-03 01:33 PM
Factory Girl steelie, most people won't trade with you at all. Everyone at Gasx3 cut you off. I gave you a break b/c I felt sorry for you. I won't make that mistake again.

04-11-03 01:37 PM
Madafaka I use SONY, KODAK or an argentinian brand called IPC (http://www.cdipc.com/)

04-11-03 01:37 PM
vampire TDK, Maxell, Sony. I also like those color SmartBuy, never had problem with them. Do you know/like it? I love those black! I recorded Handosme Girls for a friend using them.

Last week I found those smaller, Diamant, 22 minutes only. It's funny. I used one to record the unreleased tracks from 40 Licks.

[Edited by vampire]
04-11-03 01:38 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
steelie, most people won't trade with you at all. Everyone at Gasx3 cut you off. I gave you a break b/c I felt sorry for you. I won't make that mistake again.

Everyone at G3 cut me off eh?

I just sent 2000 Man some blanks last week.

Maxmeister, all I have to do is call and it's in my mail box.

Gazza, all I have to do is call and it's in my mail box.

And how can I forget My Baby Marko!

I could go on, but it's a nice day outside!

Cheers and have fun w/ your Memorex disc trading.
04-11-03 01:47 PM
Factory Girl sdh, you just said it yourself "you sent 2000 Man blanks". That is a b&p, thats not a trade. He won't trade with you.

Most will b&p you only.

Like I said before, I really tried to be nice to you when you were constantly being flamed at Gasx3. I won't make that mistake again.

And, I Always have Fun.
04-11-03 01:52 PM
steel driving hammer [quote]Factory Girl wrote:
sdh, you just said it yourself "you sent 2000 Man blanks". That is a b&p, thats not a trade.

Um, we have just about the same collection.

How can we trade, LOL.

Still haven't got those 3 versions of Evening Gown yet eh?

What did I tell you about using Memorex CDR's?

Cheers hon.
04-11-03 02:03 PM
Factory Girl sdh-I KNOW He and others won't trade with you.

GUESS WHO told me?

Also, SB won't even b&p you anymore-you blab too much. This thread is a fine example of that.

04-11-03 02:07 PM
steel driving hammer Hey what do you think of the song Back in the USSR?

LOL!
04-11-03 02:15 PM
Factory Girl What do you think of the song "P...y Power"?? Oh, wait, you won't even go near Ig...too rough for ya?
04-11-03 02:17 PM
steel driving hammer Iggy Pop is too rough.

Babe lets just fuck right now and make up ok?

My balls are in your court...

Can you handle them?
04-11-03 02:20 PM
Factory Girl No and No.
04-11-03 02:33 PM
steel driving hammer No more top of the muffin babe?

04-11-03 06:27 PM
purrcafe Not to digress but as far as the point raised in the original post, I can't say that I think there is really much difference in any brand of disc. Some people here recommend Imation. Other threads I've seen trash Imations. Same goes for Maxell and TDK. The only disc that I can't recall complaints about is Fuji. Of course, we really don't know yet how individual brands of discs age. Could be that some hold up longer than others, but I think the technology is still too young for us to tell. The real difference is in ripping and burning methods, I think. Use EAC. Create a disc image before you burn. Burn at a low speed.
04-12-03 01:25 AM
Sir Stonesalot FG, yeah, the inner clear part is supposed to be the place to do your writing. I should have mentioned that.

I should also mention that this hasn't happened to any of my CDRs yet. I'm just passing along info that has been imparted to me.

Iggy is too rough? How is that even possible? I mean, isn't that the whole point? IMO, Iggy is right up near the top of all American performers. Raw Power baby, search & destroy. Iggy is the MOAB.
04-12-03 02:55 AM
fmk438j I only use TDK because I haven't got the patience to test any other brands and I know that all traders (as far as i know) are happy to get TDKs sent to them.

http://www.pbase.com/image/11299295

One day, just for something to do, I grabbed a burned spare TDK and tried to bend it until it was doubled over on itself (readable side on the inside). I just about got there too, within a millimetre. I then released, and it flattened out straight and I put it in my cd player and it played fine. There's no way I'd do this with my other boots, but it was interesting to see how much it could handle with out breaking.

[Edited by fmk438j]
04-12-03 07:12 AM
crb69 I was recently told by a salesman at Guitar Center that you want to stay away from any discs that are blue underneath. He said you can use the mixed colors of blue/silver ??? But recommended staying with silver or gold. He explained to me that the blue tends to chip off easier thus loosing your tune's data. I never thought there was a difference either, however in the past I've bought cheap discs and had the burner spit them out while recording. I always thought it was the "loss of streaming - DMA thing". Like someone said earlier, you get what you pay for...
04-12-03 07:21 AM
crb69 By the way, I check in here periodically and consider myself to be a Stones finatic. I recently paid almost $300 for boots (CD-R & DVD-R's) and also have an extensive collection from the "Napster years". I am interested in hooking up with some cool Stones heads like myself for trading. I would rather invest in shipping costs instead of high priced fees for "decent" boots. Decent meaning if you're going to charge someone $35-$45 for a DVD-R then at least put an interactive menu on the friggin' disc. A few I've recently obtained you have to scan through. I recently purchased a new Dell and studio software. I plan on experimenting with remixing some audio/video along with recording using loops with guitar...OK I'm rambling, if anyone's interested let me know.
04-12-03 07:50 AM
giovi "that's" (Taiyo Yuden)
The best quality aqua-color CD-R !

04-12-03 12:27 PM
throbby Mitsui are very nice.
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003