ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

1969 - Baron Wolman
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Astoria Licence Granted Return to archive
04-10-03 01:50 PM
MarthaMyDear http://www.meanfiddler.com
http://www.meanfiddler.com/version1/mf/press.asp

meanfiddler.com
Press Release

Astoria Licence Granted
Wednesday, March 19, 2003
The Board of Mean Fiddler are pleased to announce that the licence for the Astoria Theatre (�Astoria�) has been renewed by the Magistrate�s court.

Vince Power, Chairman of Mean Fiddler and Licensee of the Astoria, commented:

�This is obviously very good news. I�m delighted that the Magistrate Court has confirmed the faith in the management structure that I have always had at the Astoria, and that they have found the venue to be well managed. The Astoria can now continue to run successfully providing entertainment of the highest quality in the centre of London.�

District Judge Evans reserved particular praise for Mr Power as being a scrupulous licensee and one that he had no hesitation in believing he and his team would meet the high standards Westminster City Council demand of their licensees.

The Astoria is a unique venue in the heart of London�s West End with a capacity of 2000 people and a licence to 6 am. It attracts a crowd of 380,000 customers per annum and boasts performances from such artists as U2, Blur and the Rolling Stones.

For further information, please contact,

Vince Power, Chairman
Mean Fiddler Music Group Plc
020 8961 5490

Adam Reynolds / Ben Simons
Hansard Communications
020 7245 1100 / 0771 309 0135

*** Martha ***
04-10-03 02:09 PM
BillyBoll The problem is that the local authority are challenging the issue of the license.

From Mario Dunn, 9/4/03,IORR:

"Latest news is that the Council (local government body) that covers the area for the Astoria is to go to Court to appeal against the licence renewal. The London Evening Standard ran a whole page on this (based around the fact that the Stones are playing there) to speculate that it will be shut for good quite soon.

The Astoria owners are quoted as saying they are surprised, not a good idea etc.

But it must mean that the tour has booked an altnerative venue instead? If they haven't they had better do - and make sure my precious, no priceless ticket is valid for that."

I know that its a bit worrying but even if they cant play the Astoria I'm sure that they will play somewhere similar and all of our tickets will still be valid.

04-10-03 02:19 PM
BillyBoll Link to the story in the London Evening Standard:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/showbiz/articles/4238938?source=Evening%20Standard
04-10-03 03:01 PM
MarthaMyDear There's no problem as they will win or the Stones will just reschedule the show and I'll go to wherever they fricking reschedule it to if it means me staying longer in a foreign country AND seeing the show by myself!!! Now, THAT'S a fan!!! Thank you for the information, though!!! Hopefully, they'll still be playing at the Astoria 'cause it sounds like an interesting place!!! CHEERS!!!

*** Martha ***
04-11-03 03:46 PM
Monkey Woman LONDON ASTORIA FACES NEW THREAT OF CLOSURE

LONDON's famous ASTORIA venue could still face closure after WESTMINSTER CITY COUNCIL said they will take the owners of the popular venue to the Crown Court.

Venue owners Mean Fiddler were faced with closure in March after the council refused to renew the venue's licence due to problems with violence. However, Mean Fiddler appealed to Horseferry Road Magistrates Court and secured a new licence on March 19.

A spokesperson for Westminster City Council told Reuters: "We are seeking further legal advice as how best to proceed but in the meantime we are working with the club to ensure that the general public's safety is paramount.

"Any improvements to a bad situation are welcome. But now we're taking this further up to the foodchain to a Crown Court."

The venue, which has played host to such acts as Coldplay and Travis over the past year, came into the spotlight in November 2001 when two people were shot outside the venue during a So Solid Crew gig.

Aside from this incidentWestminster City Council said in eight months to May last year there were 152 calls to emergency services, 27 assaults and15 more reported assaults.

Mean Fiddler chairman Vince Power said the venue has eliminated problems with violence.

He said: "We've had problems, but they're now solved, the police said things are now OK, and this is now getting political. This would be an appalling waste of public money, and I struggle to understand what the council would stand to gain from seeking its closure."

The London Astoria has a capacity of 2,000 and attracts an average of 380,000 people every year.

Published: 10-04-2003-16-51
04-11-03 06:45 PM
MarthaMyDear I'm planning on extending my vacation if I have to/if they book the show somewhere else at a later or earlier date, etc.... I will (or WON'T) be popular with several credit card companies, though, THAT'S for sure!!! ROTFLOL!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P Thank you for the article, Monkey Woman!!! Hopefully, they'll be able to keep their licenses!!!

*** Martha ***
04-12-03 12:22 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Well, what's the deal with the Astoria?
Do they or don't they have a license?
04-12-03 02:06 PM
Monkey Woman Judging by the dates of the articles above, I understand that:

1) a local Magistrates Court granted the Astoria a new license on March 19th,

2) but on April 10th, the Westminster City Council said that they intended to challenge that decision in front of a higher jurisdiction (the Crown Court).

I know, it's tough on us poor concertgoers and basic music lovers... One the one hand a venue that attracts unsavoury elements, on the other a tough, unsympathetic town council...

Though there is a silver lining in view if we refer to that part where a 'council spokeperson' assert that they are currently "working with the club to ensure that the general public's safety is paramount. Any improvements to a bad situation are welcome", i.e. they are trying to help keep the Astoria open while making it safer. I'll drink to that.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003