ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

1969 - Baron Wolman
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bangalore setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive
04-04-03 02:05 PM
montana from yahoo news!

04-04-03 02:13 PM
Gazza very nice - thank you!
04-04-03 03:37 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Posted by Gazza in another thread

This is an "approximate" setlist running order. Posted on IORR by Nandita - who tried to note the songs down in the correct sequence but whose pen ran dry in the rain!

Brown Sugar
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Start Me Up
Don't Stop
Angie
Rocks Off
Bitch
You Got Me Rocking
Miss You
Tumbling Dice
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Slipping Away
Thru & Thru
Sympathy For The Devil
Honky Tonk Women
Gimme Shelter
Street Fighting Man
Satisfaction
Jumping Jack Flash(encore)

http://www.iorr.org/tour03/bangalore.htm

04-04-03 04:20 PM
CS Rolling Stones hold concert in downpour

BANGALORE, India (Reuters) - The Rolling Stones have held their first Indian concert in an Asian tour cut short by a killer pneumonia virus that forced the group to cancel their first ever shows in China.
Diehard fans braved a downpour on Friday to see the veteran British rockers in the Palace Grounds owned by a former maharaja in Bangalore, now known as a rock music haven as well as a hub of technology.

"It had to rain, right?," guitarist Keith Richards told the estimated 20,000-strong crowd, whose enthusiasm seemed undampened by the unseasonal summer rain.

Teenagers and people in their 40s and 50s, who had bought tickets priced from 500 to 1,500 rupees (6 to 25 pounds) clapped, danced and whistled for the bad boys of rock.

"It is our music. It belongs to the time when we were young," said Dally Verghese, a middle-aged woman wearing a blue sari, brocaded blouse and flowers in her hair.

Government restrictions and a weak economy made major rock groups a distant dream for Indians in the 1960s and 1970s, when the Stones were in their prime.

The group are scheduled to play in Bombay on Monday in the only other Indian concert of their "Licks" world tour. Both Indian shows were advanced by a week as a result of the mystery virus that has so far killed more than 80 people worldwide, mainly in Asia.

As well as their China dates, the Stones also cancelled two Hong Kong concerts.

The group, travelling with a 150-strong entourage and more than 200 tonnes of equipment, arrived from Singapore on Tuesday. After Bombay, they are scheduled to perform in Bangkok on April 10, two days earlier than planned
04-04-03 04:25 PM
CS Same pic, but bigger

Rolling Stones rock thousands in Bangladore, India

BANGALORE, India - The Rolling Stones held their first Indian concert Friday in an Asian tour cut short by a killer pneumonia virus that forced the group to cancel their first shows in China.

Die-hard fans braved a downpour to see the veteran British rockers in the Palace Grounds owned by a former maharajah in Bangalore, now known as a rock music haven as well as a hub of technology.

``It had to rain, right?,'' guitarist Keith Richards told the estimated 20,000-strong crowd, whose enthusiasm seemed undampened by the unseasonal summer rain.

Teen-agers and people in their 40s and 50s, who had bought tickets priced from 500 to 1,500 rupees ($10 to $40 U.S.) clapped, danced and whistled for the bad boys of rock.

``It is our music. It belongs to the time when we were young,'' said Dally Verghese, a middle-aged woman wearing a blue sari, brocaded blouse and flowers in her hair.

Government restrictions and a weak economy made major rock groups a distant dream for Indians in the 1960s and 1970s, when the Stones were in their prime.

The group are scheduled to play in Bombay on Monday in the only other Indian concert of their ``Licks'' world tour. Both Indian shows were advanced by a week as a result of the mystery virus that has so far killed more than 80 people worldwide, mainly in Asia.

As well as their China dates, the Stones also canceled two Hong Kong concerts.

The group, traveling with a 150-member entourage and more than 200 tons of equipment, arrived from Singapore on Tuesday. After Bombay, they are scheduled to perform in Bangkok on April 10, two days earlier than planned.
04-04-03 05:05 PM
Monkey Woman From Yahoo news:

Rolling Stones fans rock in the rain in India's Silicon Valley

Fri Apr 4,12:55 PM ET

BANGALORE, India (AFP) - The Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger worked up a sweat to enthrall more than 10,000 rain-drenched fans, many of whom turned up at his first-ever Indian concert to see the showman rather than unravel his music.

AFP Photo

A steady drizzle kept some fans in India's technology capital of Bangalore from venturing out, but Rolling Stones aficionados braved the rain to rock at the Bangalore Palace.

"I am not tuned into Rolling Stones but I came here to experience the stage performance of Mick Jagger," said hotel employee Desh Niranjan, as Jagger, wearing a gold-coloured robe, and pink-jacketed guitarist Keith Richards played out their popular numbers.

"On the one hand I do not understand their type of music and I listen to Metallica (news - web sites) and other rock bands. It is to see their skills that I came here for," Niranjan said.

"It is one of the greatest bands I have heard of but not listened to," said 26-year-old lawyer N. Sandeep at the Bangalore Palace, which reverberated to a 240,000-watt sound system reinforced by special light effects.

"It is great to experience the atmosphere," he said.

Video support systems, a self-standing stage and a prefabricated roof were brought in for the show on eight sea containers. Digital plasma screens displayed video and special effects.

Barry Oliphant, touring India from Scotland, took time away from a trip in restive Kashmir (news - web sites) to come down to Bangalore to rock.

"I was lucky. I have seen them once before but to see them again one should consider oneself lucky. I cannot remember all the songs though I grew up with the Stones," Oliphant said.

There has been much excitement in India about the Rolling Stones' concerts, with another set for Monday in the western financial hub of Bombay, but they have not been sold out.

Musicians who play Western music in Bangalore said they do not play the British band's songs because their audiences are not keen on them.

"They only want to hear music by Metallica, Deep Purple, The Doors and Dire Straits," said Chris Avinash, guitarist and singer in the Angeldust group which plays in colleges and other venues.

"Not a single song of the Rolling Stones has been played as there have been no requests. You should understand that most of the young generation has not been brought up on Stones' diet," said Avinash.

"I do not possess a single cassette of Rolling Stones and do not know any of their songs," he said.

"They were not exposed to India unlike the Dire Straits and Pink Floyd. I will give them that benefit," he said.

The veteran band -- Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Woods and Charlie Watts -- are on the second half of their "Licks World Tour" with 50 sell-out gigs in the United States and eight in Australia behind them.

They brought forward their Indian tour by almost a week after they cancelled concerts in Hong Kong because of an outbreak of the deadly Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome that has claimed more than 80 lives, most of them in East Asia.

----------

*Very* interesting story as it shows how the Indian respond to the Stones and to rock music generally. Once again, the Stones act as pioneers in a new area where the public doesn't find this music obvious and part of their lives already. They are mining a new market, not playing safe with die-hard fans.

"I am not tuned into Rolling Stones but I came here to experience the stage performance of Mick Jagger."

I love that quote!
04-04-03 05:28 PM
Gazza From www.bbc.co.uk

Stones thrill in soggy Bangalore

By Chitrabhanu R Kadalayil

Jagger was wearing an outrageously golden gown

They may not have sold out their Indian shows, but The Rolling Stones still played to a crowd of 20,000 in Bangalore, southern India, on Friday.

The world's oldest rock group were a sensation as a big crowd rocked to their tunes despite lashing rain lashing this southern Indian city.

The city's Palace Grounds, which has hosted gigs by other artists including Roger Waters and Deep Purple in the past, was all of a soggy affair.

But Mick Jagger's 40-year-old band, performing in India for the first time, refused to let the rain get in the way and played straight into the hearts of the thousands who had come to see them.

The atmosphere was electric as people of all ages thronged into the concert area with expectation and excitement.

The band came onto the stage and began straight away with Brown Sugar, followed by other popular numbers like It's Only Rock 'n' Roll and Start Me Up.

"India's a good place to chill," Jagger said, adorned in an outrageously golden gown, while guitarist Ronnie Wood wore a traditional Indian "kurta".

The band also performed other creations including Angie, You Can't Always Get What You Want and Not Fade Away.

Even the rain failed to dampen the spirits of the fans who sang along with Jagger.

The band took the rain sportingly, with Wood skating over the wet stage and lead guitarist Keith Richards remarking: "It had to rain, right?"

The group play in Mumbai on Monday
Jagger's outrageous clothes and pyrotechnics were also "in your face", with his huge mouth and animated walk on the ramp capturing the imagination of thousands who were seeing him for the first time.

"He is so charismatic and charming at the age of 62. How I wish he came 30 years ago," Shruti Kak said.

Richards' bluesy voice, when he sang Slipping Away, and Wood's pelvic thrusts with his guitars, also charged the crowd up.

An astonishing number of foreigners attended the concert. An estimated 4,000 British, German, Spanish and Israeli expatriates who had come to seek the spiritual joys of the subcontinent also came to enjoy the Rolling Stones.

"I've seen these blokes perform in Wembley. But today has been quite extraordinary," one of them said. An Israeli even had a poster saying "Yo Stones, come to Israel".

The band are travelling with a 150-strong entourage with more than 200 tonnes of equipment, which arrived from Singapore on Tuesday.

As part of their 40 Licks Tour of the Far East, the Stones will next perform in the western Indian city of Mumbai on Monday.

Both Indian shows were brought forward by a week as a result of the mystery virus, known as Sars, that has so far killed more than 80 people worldwide, mainly in Asia.

At this gig, the band also played their cult classic (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction and signed off with Jumpin' Jack Flash.

04-04-03 08:09 PM
Monkey Woman Confirmed setlist from RS.com

1. Brown Sugar
2. IORR
3. Start Me Up
4. Don't Stop
5. Rocks Off
6. Angie
7. YCAGWYW
8. Bitch
9. Miss You (is it the 1st time they play it this tour?)
10. Tumbling Dice
11. Slipping Away
12. BTMMR
13. Sympathy
14. Midnight Rambler
15. Gimme Shelter
16. You Got Me Rocking
17. Honky Tonk Women
18. Street Fighting Man
19. Satisfaction
20. JJF (encore)

Really impressive.
04-04-03 09:21 PM
Madafaka Thank you all guys!
04-05-03 06:37 AM
Monkey Woman Pretty outfits!

04-05-03 08:09 AM
sonicrock no they played miss you before one night they did the somes girl passage in early tour 2002 and i think they even played it once on b stage or it was the same time but for sure they plyed miss you before
04-05-03 08:10 AM
sonicrock no photos from the audience ??? i wish to see that
04-05-03 09:42 AM
ziggypayne Miss You was played in Boston, Chicago, Philly, and New York. The Chicago and Philly gigs were arena shows, and Boston and NYC were stadium gigs.
04-05-03 10:26 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I can understand that the running order is hard to remember after a stones show, but what about the Keith set? "Thru and Thru"against "Before They Make me Run"?? And to forget Midnight Rambler is hard.

Now I have serious doubts as Nandita is a serious fan, now I have doubts about the setlist posted at the official website

04-05-03 11:49 AM
padre Keep that Miss You away from the setlist when you come to Europe!!
04-05-03 03:54 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Pretty outfits!
[img]

Agreed! They all look fabulous.

Man, I LOVE them Stones.
04-05-03 04:29 PM
steel driving hammer Hmm, seems thier dressing like St. Pepper.

Ain't that a bitch.
04-05-03 04:34 PM
Gazza must admit I did wonder about the validity of the original setlist re: the two keith songs. "Slipping away" and "thru and thru" are both very slow songs - keith never plays two ballads, theres always a rocker in there somewhere,and usually "happy" or "before they make me run"
04-05-03 10:26 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yep, the setlist posted by the real official website is real, as Nandita already corrected it.

BTW, here's another of the picture above but in a better resolution and size, the author is Punit Modhgil from AP, great shot, good for a header but as it was seen since Friday we will use another

04-05-03 11:02 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Again, the same but bigger and better

04-07-03 07:44 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy The Stones... playing in the rain... now that'd be something to see.

If only to watch Keith & Ronnie slide across the stage.

-tSYX --- Slipping away...
04-10-03 06:31 PM
Monkey Woman Multiple Ronnie...

From Yahoo News
04-11-03 02:40 PM
Miss U. I love the multiple Ronnies. Keep multiplying, Woody!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003