ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Wellington Westpac Stadium, 18th April 2006
© Marty Melville with special thanks to Gyspy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New York Dolls Talk New Album Return to archive Page: 1 2
9th April 2006 11:49 AM
Ten Thousand Motels New York Dolls Talk New Album
Their first in 32 years...

by Daniel Melia on 4/9/2006

The New York Dolls have have talked for the first time about their first studio album in 32 years.

The band, who feature two members from the original line up - Sylvain Sylvain and David Johansen, have been in a Mahattan studio working on the new material.

Producer Jack Douglas told Rolling Stone of the tracks recorded so far: “When I heard the new songs, I knew they were capable of sounding like the Dolls but not as nostalgia. They had the stuff."

Sylvain says that although the band have stripped away the glam-punk styling of old they are still in essence the same band and sound.

He told Rolling Stone: "When you took off the makeup and spiked heels, at the bottom of it all, it was the blues. We were a blues band. We played those three-chord progressions."

Tracks expected to appear on the album so far include ‘Plenty Of Music’ and ‘Beauty School’.
10th April 2006 08:24 AM
justinkurian This is from Rolling Stone:

New York Dolls Make Their Return

The glam-punk pioneers are back with their first album in more than three decades "That was so weird it was great," crows New York Dolls singer David Johansen, sitting in the control room at the Shed, a small Manhattan recording studio. On the other side of the glass, guitarists Sylvain Sylvain and Steve Conte, bassist Sam Yaffa and drummer Brian Delaney have nailed the keeper take of a track destined for the re-formed Dolls' new album, to be released in June. The song, like the album as yet untitled, is a Delta-juke-joint romp with drunken-parade snare rolls and rusted-screech slide guitar: a different raunch, as Johansen notes in his strip-mined growl, from the mascara-and-fuzz fury of the original Dolls' glitter classics, 1973's New York Dolls and '74's Too Much Too Soon.
"But when you took off the makeup and spiked heels, at the bottom of it all, it was the blues," Sylvain says of the Dolls' lipstick-killer heyday during a break in making their first studio record in thirty-two years. The Dolls "were a blues band. We played those three-chord progressions."

In that sense, nothing has changed. The new material is firmly rooted in the futurist-R&B swagger of the first two albums. And except for Johansen's vocals, everything -- from the Eddie Cochran-like zoom of "Beauty School" to the girl-group classicism of "Plenty of Music" -- was cut live in the studio.

"When I heard the new songs, I knew they were capable of sounding like the Dolls but not as nostalgia," says the album's producer, Jack Douglas, who first worked with the band as the engineer on New York Dolls. "They had the stuff."

Johansen and Sylvain are the only survivors of the infamous '72-'75 lineup. Guitarist Johnny Thunders died in 1991, drummer Jerry Nolan in 1992. In July 2004, bassist Arthur Kane died of leukemia, a month after reuniting with Johansen and Sylvain for two shows at the Meltdown Festival in London. "He'd be here now, and it would be great to have him," Johansen says soberly. But he insists the new Dolls "are part of the enterprise. It's not just me, Syl and a pickup band."

Delaney has played with Johansen for several years, while Yaffa started out emulating the Dolls' sound and couture with the Finnish band Hanoi Rocks. "They want a balance -- bring your own shit to it but have respect for what went before," Yaffa says of the charter Dolls. "And you know if you go a little too far. David will be like, 'No, no, that's too smart. Reel it back in.'"

DAVID FRICKE

Posted Apr 06, 2006 12:13 PM
10th April 2006 08:27 AM
Break The Spell Wow, a 32 year wait for a new studio album. It makes the Who's 24 year wait and Guns 'N Roses 15 year wait seem like nothing!! When the Yardbirds put out Birdland two years ago, I think it was 37 years since their last studio effort when they put that album out!!
10th April 2006 08:53 AM
mac_daddy
dan - did you get out to spaceland last week to check out the dolls gig..? i missed it.

10th April 2006 09:45 AM
corgi37 So long as they just talk about it. I can think of nothing less important the world of music needs than a release from these clowns.
10th April 2006 11:53 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
So long as they just talk about it. I can think of nothing less important the world of music needs than a release from these clowns.

Maybe they'll pull an "Axl" on everyone, by working on the album for 15 years and never release it.
10th April 2006 12:01 PM
Egbert What's next, a "Ramones" album by Tommy?
10th April 2006 12:04 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Egbert wrote:
What's next, a "Ramones" album by Tommy?

Considering the line-ups several bands have toured with lately (The Cars, The Doors, Dead Kennedys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Misfits,etc.) which feature only one or no original members, anything's possible!!
10th April 2006 01:18 PM
Egbert
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Considering the line-ups several bands have toured with lately (The Cars, The Doors, Dead Kennedys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Misfits,etc.) which feature only one or no original members, anything's possible!!

With that in mind it's not inconceivable that the Stones could one day consist of a touring band led by Chuck and Blondie!
10th April 2006 01:34 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Egbert wrote:

With that in mind it's not inconceivable that the Stones could one day consist of a touring band led by Chuck and Blondie!

Well, if that will happen one day Chuck will finally be in control of what the set lists will be.
12th April 2006 11:17 AM
FPM C10 NEW YORK DOLLS To Release New Album In July - Apr. 11, 2006

On July 25, 2006, the seminal NEW YORK DOLLS, a band that has been accused of inspiring everything from punk rock to hair metal, will release their eagerly anticipated album, "One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This".

"A lot of the mess people are listening to gets blamed on the DOLLS, but we've always been just a stupid R&B-based rock 'n' roll band," says their idiot savant leader, David Johansen.

In 2004, former NEW YORK DOLLS fan club president Morrissey made the request that reunited his boyhood idols, THE NEW YORK DOLLS, for the Meltdown Festival, which he was curating at the Royal Festival Hall in London.

"Basically we got together to do a one-off show and have a couple of laughs. That quickly turned into two shows, and was so well-received that offers started coming in from festivals; Reading, Leeds, and all the mud baths in Europe, including a bunch co-headlining with fans THE WHITE STRIPES," says Johansen.

"We were having so much fun, we decided to continue past the summer, and naturally, started writing some new songs," says Johansen. "Besides Syl and myself, guitarist Steve Conte, bass player Sami Yaffa, keyboard player Brian 'the Professor' Koonin, and drummer Brian Delaney, who we insist on calling 'Delancey,' everyone in the band contributes material."

The new album — featuring 13 new tracks, including the first single "Dance Like a Monkey", "Take a Good Look at My Good Looks", "Maimed Happiness", and "Runnin' Around" — was produced by Jack Douglas, who made his bones engineering the first eponymously titled NEW YORK DOLLS record, and has since produced everyone from JOHN LENNON to YOKO ONO, and a few other big ones along the way.

"Jack's always been good to us, so we thought we'd throw him a bone," says Johansen. "One Day It Will Please Us to Remember Even This" includes guest appearances by Michael Stipe on "Dancing on the Lip of A Volcano", Iggy Pop on "Gimme Love and Turn On the Light", Tom Gabel (AGAINST ME!) on "Punishing World", and the DOLLS' own hero, Bo Diddley, on "Seventeen".

"There's so much negative bullshit being forced down people's throats in the marketplace, we really wanted to create a thing of beauty that will stand the test of time, and hopefully add something positive to people’s lives," says Johansen.

"I don't care if this record is a hit," Sylvain Sylvain declares, "just as long as every man, woman, and child buys it." Producer Jack Douglas adds, "This is the band that gave the world 'Personality Crisis', 'Jet Boy', 'Looking for a Kiss', 'Puss 'n' Boots' and 'Trash'. Maybe we can't forgive them for that, but they swing harder than anyone around, and this album is a fuckin' masterpiece."

The DOLLS are planning a world tour in support of the new release on Roadrunner Records, starting summer 2006.

"Playing music is the best thing in the world," says Johansen. "It makes show business almost bearable."

12th April 2006 11:24 AM
jb Never really understood why people like the dolls..To me, they were "Kiss" like.
12th April 2006 11:29 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:
Never really understood why people like the dolls..To me, they were "Kiss" like.

"But when you took off the makeup and spiked heels, at the bottom of it all, it was the blues," Sylvain says of the Dolls' lipstick-killer heyday during a break in making their first studio record in thirty-two years. The Dolls "were a blues band. We played those three-chord progressions."
12th April 2006 12:50 PM
Dan
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
dan - did you get out to spaceland last week to check out the dolls gig..? i missed it.

No I didn't go. The only gigs I have been to this year are Aerosmith, Mad Juana, Rolling Stones/Queens Of The Stone Age, Neko Case, Ben Harper and Pretty Girls Make Graves. Might go see Calexico at Amoeba tonight. Or not.
12th April 2006 12:52 PM
jb Bottom line, little impact and no one cares...Buster PoinDexter was an upsurd character.
12th April 2006 12:58 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:
Never really understood why people like the dolls..To me, they were "Kiss" like.

Same reason I like the Stones. Rock N Roll.
12th April 2006 01:01 PM
jb
quote:
Dan wrote:

Same reason I like the Stones. Rock N Roll.

oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12th April 2006 07:04 PM
MRD8 A great recording of the LA show is on DIME, here's the link and the info:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=90875
New York Dolls - Spaceland, L.A. - 3 apr.06 (secret club show)
DAT(Master) CSBs-M1-CDr-Flac level 7-you
recorded in front on the mixing desk.

what can i say... a KILLER set with a bunch of new toons ta boot!
they really rocked...it was packed...
enjoy and share...

1. Lookin' for a kiss

2. We're all in love (?) - new song

3. Puss 'n Boots

4. Intro/Plenty of Music - new song

5. Piece of my Heart

6. Dancing on the Lip (??) - new song

7. Private World

8. ?? - new song

9. Can't Put your arms.../Lonely Planet Boy

10. Punishing World - new song

11. Dance Like a Monkey - new song

12. Trash

13. Jetboy
encore 1

14. Gotta get Away (??) - new song

15. Pills

16. Personality Crisis

encore 2
17. The Human Being

12th April 2006 08:07 PM
mac_daddy thanks mrd8

i meant to get to this gig, but didnt make it...

the dolls are great!

that setlist is about half the same as as it was a the street fair last year, and half new (and likely the same audience, but smaller)...

cant wait to hear this; i am sorry i missed it...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
13th April 2006 09:15 AM
Ten Thousand Motels NEW YORK DOLLS MAKE STARRY COMEBACK

Seminal band the NEW YORK DOLLS will appear alongside a host of recording icons when they release their first album in more than 30 years. The proto-punk outfit have teamed up with a string of stars, including REM's MICHAEL STIPE and THE STOOGES legend IGGY POP, to record ONE DAY IT WILL PLEASE US TO REMEMBER, which is due to hit shops in the summer (JUL06). Only two of the band's original members appear on the new release, but DAVID JOHANSEN and SYLVAIN SYLVAIN returned to their roots by enlisting JACK DOUGLAS to produce the album. He worked on their critically-acclaimed self-titled 1973 debut. Other music legends to feature on the record include BO DIDDLEY, while guitarist STEVE CONTE, ex-HANOI ROCKS bassist SAMI YAFFA, drummer BRIAN DELANEY and keyboardist BRIAN KOONIN make up the rest of the new line-up. New York Dolls briefly united in 2004 with ARTHUR KANE, but future plans were scuppered when he unexpectedly died of leukaemia later that year.
13/04/2006 13:59

13th April 2006 09:19 AM
Break The Spell Interesting they have the old bassist of Hanoi Rocks, I might have to check it out now. The guitarist of Hanoi Rocks was very Keith-like in his stage presence. It should be a good fit for them.
13th April 2006 09:26 AM
GotToRollMe I just can't get interested in them without Johnny, Jerry and Arthur. There's also talk of a 3-disc boxed set coming out for Christmas. It'll be a shame if they finally get the money and recognition they deserve and the original band members (save David and Syl) aren't even alive.
[Edited by GotToRollMe]
13th April 2006 04:13 PM
GotToRollMe I'll also state the obvious here: David and Syl recording and touring as "The New York Dolls" without Johnny Thunders would be like Mick and Charlie touring as "The Rolling Stones" without Keith Richards. People might buy the album and pay to see them play, but it wouldn't be the same band, and it would be tacky as hell.
13th April 2006 04:32 PM
FPM C10 Whatever!

We have this discussion here every time the Dolls are mentioned.

Although Johnny thought of himself as Keith, he was actually Brian. Or maybe he was Brian Keith, TV's lovable yet gruff Unca Bill.

The original line-up of the Rolling Stones.

Was it tacky for the Stones to continue on as the Stones without Brian? And there was another drummer who died of an OD before Jerry Nolan got the job. So that point's kinda moot too.

The guys in the Dolls (Guys n' Dolls!) who decided to concentrate their energies on drugs are dead. The ones who opted for music are on the new album. And you don't have to buy it or go see them if it bothers ya. And if anyone thinks the Dolls have a problem being called "tacky"...

I'm just kinda steamed about the whole Michael Stipe thing.
13th April 2006 04:51 PM
GotToRollMe Yeah, the Dolls were always the epitome of tacky. I guess I really meant "just plain wrong," but eh, I can't get too worked up about it. More power to 'em, and why not...might as well cash in while they can I suppose, but they won't be getting my cash.
13th April 2006 04:52 PM
Sir Stonesalot The bottom line is that David Jo and Syl are the only people alive who get to say what is or isn't "The New York Dolls". It simply doesn't matter what the rest of us think.

And aside from that, I'm sure that David Jo & Syl would RATHER have Johnny, Jerry(or Billy for that matter), and Killer on stage with them. But since none of those guys was Jesus, and time travel has not been perfected yet, that ain't gonna happen.
13th April 2006 05:02 PM
Saint Sway I am a huge Thunders fan and was really hesitant about the "reunion" last year.

That being said, they were great. I was really impressed by their energy and by the performance of the new band members. Dolls were always first-and-foremost about being a party band and having a good time. In 2006 thats what The Dolls still are. The new band has the swagger that the old Dolls had. Even minus Johnny. I'm confident the new record will be cool.

when Johanson is singing these songs - he's STILL one of the great ones.
13th April 2006 05:24 PM
Dan
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Interesting they have the old bassist of Hanoi Rocks, I might have to check it out now. The guitarist of Hanoi Rocks was very Keith-like in his stage presence. It should be a good fit for them.

While I was also hesitant about the reunion, I am a fan of a few individual members of the band including Sammi Yaffa (formerly of Hanoi Rocks). I also really dig his band Mad Juana http://www.madjuana.com so that makes the current incarnation of the New York Dolls a bit more interesting.
13th April 2006 05:30 PM
nanatod When we saw the NY Dolls last year, they were playing at Chicago's Metro, a very small venue:

"Capacity
Capacity is 1100, divided between the main floor and the balcony. The view is always great and the back of the room is only about 25 feet from the stage."

The show was pretty good, as we were close up, and the Dolls ripped through their whole catalogue, and Johansen threw in a cover of "Ball and Chain."
13th April 2006 05:37 PM
Saint Sway Dan,

my creative director recently turned me on to the Hanoi Rocks boxed set. I missed out on them when they were around but it was an interesting box and I could see how they must of put on a fun show back in the day. Nice Thunders cover too on disc 4.

ck it out if you can find it
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)