ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAΡOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sucking in the 70's Return to archive
April 10th, 2005 07:38 PM
Bloozehound never owned this album, so I went out and bought the digipak this mornin, but didn't listen to it, came home to do a bunch of yardwork, and when I was done I sat on my back porch, sipped a few b33rskies and gave SITS a spin...

All I can say is, in the words of the immortal Tony the tiger it was GRRREAT!! It's got an excellent lazy summer day feel to it, it was beautiful!

~highlights~

dance pt2
when the whip comes down (where's this version from?)

April 10th, 2005 07:43 PM
Nellcote I've always had issues with the title of this lp.
I thought the 70's were, well, ok, you;ve foreced me to say it....... Wicked Pissa!
April 10th, 2005 08:11 PM
Bloozehound Wicked Pissa indeed, Nel!

definitely one of the more lackluster album titles & covers this side of DW, but its the music inside that counts, I here now officelly declare "Sucking in the 70's" to be renamed "Wicked Pissa's"

[Edited by Bloozehound]
April 10th, 2005 08:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
~

dance pt2
when the whip comes down (where's this version from?)

Detroit 6th July 1978, KBFH broadcast recording. Same as one of the versions used on "Handsome Girls"

It's been really well re-mastered this CD. "Dance Pt 2" is amazing and the album's highlight. "Everything is turning to gold" invites it out for a serious argument, though. I never fully appreciated either of these two tracks until I heard these remastered versions.
April 10th, 2005 08:34 PM
Bloozehound ah! that might be it, I was sittin there listening to Whip thinkin this version sounds sorta familiar

I'm kinda leaning towards Dancer 2 over Gold for now, probably cause I've heard it the least of the two, they're both cool songs, good grooves. Dance pt2 might be better than pt1 on ER

I just realized that the album has a certain disco-y feel, but in that cool Stones disco groove way

Wicked Discos!
April 10th, 2005 08:39 PM
Nellcote Turning is sooooo good, I always dug those slashing gitars..
I cannot get enough of that reggae infused funk...
"Now that the love juice Starts to flow......" great lyric....
April 10th, 2005 10:28 PM
Soldatti The album is great (except the cuts) but the new version is even better. Bob Ludwig did a great job with the sound.
April 11th, 2005 10:49 AM
Mr Jimmy I bought Sucking In The 70's when it was originally released and from the first time I heard Everythings Turning To Gold it just seemed to have a special groove. As years passed, I felt it more & more. I've posted previously about my love for that song and I never get much of a response... nothing wrong with that... but I always feel 'out there' on my own, so it's great to hear that someone else love it's too. It has a great grinding, sexual, groove and I haven't tired of listening to that song for more than 20 years even though most Stones' fans have told me it's a bit of a throw away. My reply: "I'm tired... tired of doin' what I'm told"

I think I'll give it a loud spin right now!
April 11th, 2005 01:10 PM
wellwell Allmusic wrote a review last week for the reissue that seems to sum up the groove and feeling that is captured on this record.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=&sql=10:hxftxqu5ldje

There's a certain smarmy charm in the Rolling Stones titling a compilation of their work from the second half of the '70s Sucking in the 70s — it seems a tacit admission that neither the decade or the music they made in the '70s was all that good, something that many critics and fans dismayed by the group's infatuation with glitzy disco and tabloid grime would no doubt argue. It is indeed true that the Stones, led by the ever-fashionable Mick Jagger, descended into a world sleaze, one seemingly far removed from the dangerous blues-rockers of the '60s, who were concerned enough about their blues credibility that they brought Howlin' Wolf on to a teen-oriented British TV program. That incarnation of the Rolling Stones was a distant memory at the end of the '70s, when the group was freely dabbling with disco, reggae, never-ending elastic grooves and pumping up their sound with punchy horns and slick backing vocalists. Sometimes this resulted in great music, as in the terrific 1978 masterwork Some Girls, which took on disco, punk and new wave in equal measure, while retaining the signature Stones feel. Sometimes, the group would stumble, as they did on the uneven but intermittently entertaining 1976 LP Black and Blue (heavy on reggae and jams) and 1980's Emotional Rescue (heavy on disco and dance). Those three albums are more or less covered on Sucking in the 70s, an unwieldy collection of hits, outtakes, live cuts and album tracks that plays fast and loose with the timeline (it reaches back to 1974 for "Time Waits for No One," a year that was covered on their previous comp, Made in the Shade), while not including anything but outtakes from Emotional Rescue, and managing to overlook their biggest hit of the second half of the '70s — 1978's "Miss You," the biggest and best disco track they ever did. This doesn't come close to compiling all their best songs from the second half of the '70s — for instance, the monumental "Hand of Fate," easily the greatest song on Black and Blue, isn't here — but the amazing thing is that Sucking in the 70s captures the garish decadence and ennui of the band better than the proper albums from this period. Not that this is a better record than Some Girls, which had the same sense of trash but also a true sense of hunger and menace underpinning the restless music, but it is better than either Black and Blue or Emotional Rescue, since it gleefully emphasizes their tawdry disco moves while illustrating that the band could either be deliciously tacky in concert (the version of "Mannish Boy," pulsating on a gaudy clavinet, shows how bloated the Stones were in the mid-'70s, but the passage of time has made that rather ingratiating) or as muscular and mean as they were at their peak (a previously unreleased version of "When the Whip Comes Down," which tears by at a vicious pace). On the surface, the studio outtakes of "Everything Is Turning to Gold" and "If I Was a Dancer" (which is merely the second part of Emotional Rescue's opening cut "Dance, Pt. 1") aren't all that remarkable, but they're good, stylish grooves, and when placed in the context of other disco-rock, slick ballads and overblown blooze, they help make Sucking in the 70s into a kind of a definitive document. If you want to know what the Stones sounded like at the end of the '70s, why they earned scorn from longtime fans while continuing to rule the charts, this is the record you need. It may not give casual fans all the hits they want — for that, go to the latter-day Jump Back or Forty Licks — and for some hardcore fans, this will remind them of why they stopped listening to the Stones — but for a few others, this is a wonderful celebration of all the group's '70s sleaze, an LP that was designed to be a shoddy, cash-in compilation, but wound up revealing more than the group ever realized. [Virgin/EMI's 2005 reissue is a straight-up reissue of Sucking in the 70s, offering remastered sound but no bonus material or liner notes — as a matter of a fact, the spine of the CD is patterned after Atlantic's red-on-white spines of the '80s, making this nearly a retro affair.]
April 11th, 2005 10:08 PM
Soldatti Good review.
April 12th, 2005 12:01 AM
gorda Sucking In The 70's is $9.72 at Walmart right now!

Also, The best of the Rolling Stones, Jump Back '71 to '93, is also $9.72!

So, go out and get it, if you haven't already!
[Edited by gorda]
April 12th, 2005 12:36 AM
White House Lawn If you just want the three remastered "bonus" cuts, you can buy them at the iTunes Music Store for .99 each. I just downloaded 'em to replace my old versions. iTunes users can click directly on the following links, 'natch!

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=53260582&selectedItemId=53260436

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=53260582&selectedItemId=53260568

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=53260582&selectedItemId=53260570

[Edited by White House Lawn]
April 12th, 2005 06:40 AM
marko Because u all seem to like the song Everythings turning to
gold"
I recommed u to get,the new Tree,"mixed nuts".
This compilation has nearly 10mins LONG outtake version of
this song.No sax,sax part is done with guitars.Great groove.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood