ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: NEW YORK DOLLS ON TOUR!!!! Return to archive
April 8th, 2005 12:15 PM
FPM C10 Wow! My girlfriend just emailed me to say the friggin' New York friggin' Dolls are touring and will be at the Trocadero in Philly on May 13!!!

I am so excited I'm typing this with Maxy's nipples!!!

DEVELOPING!!!
April 8th, 2005 12:21 PM
FPM C10 AND

Fri, 04/29/05
08:00 PM New York Dolls, Burning Brides
Irving Plaza
New York, NY

Thu, 05/12/05
07:00 PM New York Dolls
Avalon
Boston, MA Find Tickets

Mon, 05/16/05
House of Blues Cleveland
Cleveland, OH More Info
on sale:
Sat, 04/09/05 10:00 AM

Tue, 05/17/05
Metro
Chicago, IL More Info
on sale:
Sat, 04/09/05 12:00 PM
April 8th, 2005 12:45 PM
GimmeExile Cool! Thanks for the heads-up...Any word on DC? I know they're playing the local HFStival on May 14.

Also, is Izzy Stradlin touring with them?
April 8th, 2005 12:52 PM
FPM C10
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
Cool! Thanks for the heads-up...Any word on DC? I know they're playing the local HFStival on May 14.

Also, is Izzy Stradlin touring with them?

what's the HSFtival?

I don't know any more than what I posted at this point. Hot off the presses! My girlfriend got our Troc tix already. Whoo hoo!
April 8th, 2005 12:53 PM
Saint Sway yeah man, whats the word on Izzy?

WHERES IZZY???

I'm still going even if he's out. Dolls are still cool.
April 8th, 2005 01:15 PM
GimmeExile
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

what's the HSFtival?

It's the annual all-day concert held by the now-defunct WHFS radio station...but they're still holding the festival.

This year it's being held at M&T Stadium in Baltimore on May 14, the day after the Troc show.
April 8th, 2005 01:36 PM
Factory Girl WHFS now plays latino music 24/7.

Buenos dios, muchachos!!!
April 8th, 2005 03:19 PM
lotsajizz No Thunders=No Dolls
April 8th, 2005 03:28 PM
FPM C10
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
No Thunders=No Dolls

Whatever. Your loss.
April 8th, 2005 04:00 PM
jpenn11
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
No Thunders=No Dolls

No Thunders+Nolan=David Johansen's solo act with more Dolls songs in the setlist

It's all a matter of taste:

Well if you don't like it
Go ahead, find yourself a saint
Go ahead now,
Try to find a boy
Who's gonna be what I ain't

Now what you need is
A plastic doll with a fresh coat of paint
Who's gonna sit through the madness
And always acts so quaint
Said yeah yeah yeah

April 8th, 2005 04:23 PM
FPM C10
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

No Thunders+Nolan=David Johansen's solo act with more Dolls songs in the setlist

Yeah, it's a "take what you can get" scenario for me. I totally understand lotsaj's POV, but wouldn't take it as far as missing out on the show.

I guess if I had seen the Dolls WITH Johnny Thunders, and I didn't want to corrupt my wonderful memory of the experience, then I would pass. Maybe. In all liklihood, the shows back in the day were probably hit or miss, and my memory of it would be pretty hazy anyway.

It's like I've said before: IF the Stones had broken up in '74, and some of them were dead, but Mick and Charlie came back through town with some hired guns playing songs from Exile, would I go? HELL YES.

Same thought process here. The songs are still alive. I LOVE all of the Dolls' stuff. AND I love David Johansen. And I've seen the DVD of the Meltdown Festival last summer and it's incredible. I'm totally fuckin' thrilled that I've got this opportunity.

PLUS the Troc is a kick-ass club and I haven't been there since the 80s.

SS - you goin' or what? I know YOU'VE already seen them, but STILL.

April 8th, 2005 04:45 PM
jpenn11
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Same thought process here. The songs are still alive. I LOVE all of the Dolls' stuff. AND I love David Johansen. And I've seen the DVD of the Meltdown Festival last summer and it's incredible. I'm totally fuckin' thrilled that I've got this opportunity.

I'm not pissing on your campfire, I'm saying the show is more than "no Dolls".

I saw Johansen do his solo act with Syl Sylvain years ago, and I think it was actually at Irving Plaza. The only Dolls tune I remember was the very last song, Personality Crisis. It was a lot of fun, and I suspect that 25 years later, he's still a great performer of this stuff--this was suggested by your[?] Sumlin review.

Frankly, if Johnny were around, I suspect he'd be alot like Wood on a bad night and, with more money from the box office and Johnny's "reliability", they'd probably hire the Uptown Horns, Lisa F, Bernard F, etc. to carry the sound . . .

I look forward to the report.
April 8th, 2005 04:55 PM
FPM C10
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

I'm not pissing on your campfire, I'm saying the show is more than "no Dolls".

Yeah, I gotcha. Nothin' worse than a pissed-on campfire! My comments were mainly for lotsajizz, I guess.

I will definitely post a review of the show, and will weave as many negative comments about George and Jeb Bush into the narrative as I possibly can.

April 8th, 2005 06:01 PM
lotsajizz Look, I hear you FPM, it's just MHO. And it's not just 'no Thunders' as you know...I love Big Dave too, but I got problems with him calling it what he calls it...I guess that's my hangup..whatever, I hope they rock for you...not many places to rock nowadays....
April 8th, 2005 09:43 PM
Soldatti New York Dolls? What a load of rubbish! (Mick, 1977)
April 8th, 2005 11:51 PM
jpenn11
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
New York Dolls? What a load of rubbish! (Mick, 1977)

Response #1 Yes, this coming from one who does duets with Justin Timberlake and Michael Jackson.

Response #2 I know it's only rubbish but I like it . . .
April 9th, 2005 08:52 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff I'm on with jpenn11 opinion: What DOLLS are you waitin' ?
No THUNDERS (and Nolan too) = no DOLLS...
Are you sure that SYLVIAN are part of this "project"?
I saw Johansen so involved with his blues band that i can believe that someone may think to re-formed a rock'n'roll band without his members.
I really loved the New York DollS
April 9th, 2005 09:37 AM
sonicrock agree no thunders no nolan no dolls but i ll go watch if they come my way, by the way obviously no arthur kane as well, but last years the mc5 reform as the mc5 and did some concert and everybody seems to enjoy, and the same with iggy and the stooges so why not the dolls;
April 9th, 2005 11:18 AM
FPM C10 Geez, I didn't think this thread was going to be so controversial. I guess I should have named it "A Band Calling Itself The New York Dolls With the Only Remaining Band Members and A Support Group of Excellent Musicians Playing All of Their Songs Is Touring" but it wouldn't fit into the "title" box.

Sounds a little like the Stones...no Brian, no Stones! Brian and Stu are dead, Bill and MT aren't there - who are you kidding? THAT'S not the Stones!

Anybody who actually DOES love the Dolls yet misses out on this because people long dead are STILL dead is very foolish. Of course, if you really love the Dolls, you've heard the new CD and seen the DVD and KNOW it's going to ROCK.

Just added:

Wed, 05/18/05
07:00 PM
New York Dolls

Majestic Theatre
Detroit, MI
April 9th, 2005 03:09 PM
Surround Sister Yep, Dolls is contoversial... I have experienced as well...
I think it its because too many havent heard them at all.
Of course Nolan and Thunders is painfully missing, but their might still be gun powder nuff among their survivors.

Never saw Dolls but Thunders in 1982 or 83; hewas way too far out but still one of the rock'n'rolliest musicians on earth...
April 10th, 2005 12:54 PM
Bruno Stone I only know one song from them, ``Looking For A Kiss``.

And I know that Duff Mackagan from GNR loved this guy, Johnny Thunders.

Should I hear more from them?
April 10th, 2005 09:58 PM
Soldatti
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

Response #1 Yes, this coming from one who does duets with Justin Timberlake and Michael Jackson.

Response #2 I know it's only rubbish but I like it . . .

I was joking man, NYD had good moments and good songs too.
April 11th, 2005 04:27 AM
Surround Sister Yep, Bruno;
Thats one of theirs worst.

Vietnamese baby
Personality Crisis
Trash

My favorites
April 11th, 2005 05:27 AM
Slavegirl I have to say, I saw the New York Dolls play at the House of Blues in my hometown of Anaheim last November and they f*cking rocked it. David Johanssen is scary looking though he has this weird kinda old Pagan Yoga guy thing going on but his voice is still amazing and he can still move, although he seems to tire out easily. That young guitar player they have with the dark shag haircut more than makes up for it in his energy. The songs were amazing and the crowd went wild the whole time. Those songs will rock anybody, it doesn't matter if you know the Dolls or not. This was proven by the fact that I brought my 20 year old Indy rocker chick friend to the show who had never heard the Dolls and she friggin' loved it. I hope they come to So Cal again cuz if they do you can count my ass in for sure. If you're going to the show you're in for a rip rockin good time!

-Sara
April 11th, 2005 10:16 AM
jpenn11
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I was joking man

So was I . . .

Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood