ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The new album will be good? Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 8th, 2005 10:33 AM
Jair The Stones have marvelous jobs. They do not work, they simple have fun by playing and writting songs.

Also, they don't have common obligations like regular pple and they have all they want, including any drugs & women. More, expensive cars, yachts, plains, castels and all shit you can imagine.

So, its not fair if they don't work hard to deliver us a decent album. The least they can do is a VERY GOOD album.
Enough with crap like B2B!

We wanna good stuff, guys. Leave the laziness aside and do something really nice, pleeeeeease.

The next can very well be the last Stones album I'll buy.
No more decadence, guys!

April 8th, 2005 10:43 AM
Gazza I loved Bridges To Babylon. I think it was the best album they've done since Tattoo You by some distance. Maybe even the best since Some Girls.

Another one of that quality will do for me. I dont expect them to ever make another studio album.

A lot of people bitch because of the WAY an album is recorded. Personally, I dont care if theyre all in the same room or not or if Keith records his guitar parts through a baked bean can. All that matters is whether the released product a) has "the Rolling Stones" on the CD cover and b) whether its good or not.

No one would know any of this trivial stuff anyway until they read interviews about it after it's been released.
April 8th, 2005 10:46 AM
egon i like bridges, but find it somewhat "overproduced".
it lacks a certain rawness, if you know what i mean
April 8th, 2005 10:49 AM
Jair
quote:
egon wrote:
i like bridges, but find it somewhat "overproduced".

Yes, and I agree. They exagerating in everything. Sux!
April 8th, 2005 11:37 AM
corgi37 I think that was the aim. To try to be a bit modern. Use oustside producers. Be a bit different to vl, which was a lot more "organic".

I love b2b.

New album? I want the greatest, most important, sensational album they've ever done.

But, we'll get one with maybe 1 killer song, some ok songs, and a hell of a lot of crap.

April 8th, 2005 11:55 AM
corgi37 You'll never that song again!

I guess, for the new cd, i desire Exile.

But, i'll get Dirty Work.
April 8th, 2005 12:04 PM
Joey
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
You'll never that song again!

I guess, for the new cd, i desire Exile.

But, i'll get Dirty Work.

Corgi is truly " THE KING " !!!!
April 8th, 2005 12:11 PM
Mel Belli Honestly I don't know what to expect. I have no confidence whatsoever in Keith's muse, and think Mick is a spent force, lyric-wise.

Then again, I think the new ones on "Forty Licks" weren't inherently bad and could've been much better; they needed some fleshing out, and better lyrics, natch ...

Just think of how critics would swoon if the Stones put out a blues-heavy album, with four or five songs like "Fancyman Blues" or "The Storm." And think of how easy it would be for the band to do that ... But they'd consider that taking the easy way out, I guess.

Either way, I admire 'em for trying. I'm in wait-and-see mode.
April 8th, 2005 12:28 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! I can't see what all the bitch'n is about. At least they are still together as a band, releasing a new album and a tour to follow. What else do you want? It could just as easliy be the other way around, the band could be finished and we could be never getting ANYTHING from them again. Let's be thinkfull that we still live in a world with the Rolling Stones in it!
April 8th, 2005 12:33 PM
Bloozehound yeah maybe they'll get it right this time and release their b-sides as a-sides and give us a real rolling stones album this time around

I agree that it very possible this will be the last rolling stones studio album we'll ever see, so ditto "the wait and see" mode
April 8th, 2005 12:40 PM
Gimme Shelter
quote:
Happy Motherfucker!! wrote:
I can't see what all the bitch'n is about. At least they are still together as a band, releasing a new album and a tour to follow. What else do you want? It could just as easliy be the other way around, the band could be finished and we could be never getting ANYTHING from them again. Let's be thinkfull that we still live in a world with the Rolling Stones in it!

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
April 8th, 2005 05:03 PM
Jair
quote:
Happy Motherfucker!! wrote:
I can't see what all the bitch'n is about. At least they are still together as a band, releasing a new album and a tour to follow. What else do you want? It could just as easliy be the other way around, the band could be finished and we could be never getting ANYTHING from them again. Let's be thinkfull that we still live in a world with the Rolling Stones in it!

That's is beautiful to say, but an mediocre album do not satisfy nobody...To listen crap is enough turn on any radio station...

April 8th, 2005 06:52 PM
Poison Dart I expect a record in the same class as Voodoo and Bridges.

Which in my mind is a very solid but not a spectacular album.
April 8th, 2005 07:13 PM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I think that was the aim. To try to be a bit modern. Use oustside producers. Be a bit different to vl, which was a lot more "organic".

yeah, VL was a more archetypal "Stonesy"-sounding album, which I think is why so many people prefer it to BTB.

Whilst I can empathise with that entirely, I just think the SONGS on BTB are simply better, and that for me overrides the "typical Stones sound" merits of Voodoo Lounge.

I like them both, although I think VL has too many filler songs thrown in to flesh out the format as it was their first album in a long time. I do prefer some of the B-sides and one or two of the outtakes to stuff like "mean disposition" and "suck on the jugular" etc.
April 8th, 2005 07:22 PM
Madafaka I hope that! Anyway, I couldn't be too objetive.
April 8th, 2005 08:46 PM
Some Guy Time will tell
April 8th, 2005 11:17 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
egon wrote:
i like bridges, but find it somewhat "overproduced".

i dont find too tight and flip the switch overproduced
April 8th, 2005 11:37 PM
Soldatti The overproduced songs are some of the Mick's songs (ASMB, OOC, MAWGJ)
April 8th, 2005 11:51 PM
MidnightRambler They should go back and just re-record all the songs that never made it onto previous albums. Two that come to mind are S"trictly Memphis" and "Do you Think I really Care?" There are tons of good stuff in the vaults. Don't bother to write a whole new album...just finish work on the stuff they left behind.

If anything...they should finish all the songs that they started during the Voodoo LOunge sessions that are all on Voodoo Brew now. "Ivy League" "You Got It Made" "Alright Charlie" and all those songs are great stuff. They could have an album in 2 seconds if they just added vocals to all those songs. Disc 2 of Voodoo Brew is an album waiting to be finished.
April 9th, 2005 03:58 AM
IanBillen [quote]MidnightRambler wrote:
They should go back and just re-record all the songs that never made it onto previous albums. Two that come to mind are S"trictly Memphis" and "Do you Think I really Care?" There are tons of good stuff in the vaults. Don't bother to write a whole new album...just finish work on the stuff they left behind.

If anything...they should finish all the songs that they started during the Voodoo LOunge sessions that are all on Voodoo Brew now. "Ivy League" "You Got It Made" "Alright Charlie" and all those songs are great stuff. They could have an album in 2 seconds if they just added vocals to all those songs. Disc 2 of Voodoo Brew is an album waiting to be finished.

IMHO I feel they need new fresh material. Something we, or them have ever even heard of. I think the new stuff will create a fresh new vibe to the songwriting and hopefully, will carry over into the finished products recording.

If I knew this was all things they have worked on within the past ten years or so I really wouldn't be that excited.

What does excite me is the fact that it seems they have plenty of new fresh tracks. And a brand spankin new fresh album.

Ian
April 9th, 2005 04:16 AM
IanBillen Gazza Wrote:
"A lot of people bitch because of the WAY an album is recorded. Personally, I dont care if theyre all in the same room or not or if Keith records his guitar parts through a baked bean can. All that matters is whether the released product a) has "the Rolling Stones" on the CD cover and b) whether its good or not."

I agree on that. As long as the finished product sounds great. Any way they choose to do it is fine with me as long as that stands.

Although the way an album is recorded can have EVERYTHING to do with the vibe and sound on an album in some cases.

And very strangely in other instances how an album was recorded doesn't reflect on the sound at all. (look at Tattoo You, what a splice together but yet it sounds so damn coheasive even though the second side is nothing in tempo as the first.)

*What could matter more than all this is the actual vibe IN the studio created by the recording enviorment at hand as far as inspired performances and songwriting (if infact, the band in particualar is still writing by the time they hit the studio) goes.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
April 9th, 2005 06:42 AM
egon what i mean with overproduced is that is sounds too clean.

i like too tight, low down & out of control, but it sounds to "digital", to "perfect".

for instance, out of control did it much better live, as it was rawer.

same goes for voodoo lounge in a way; you got me rocking is much better live than on the album.

don't know how to explain it better...
April 9th, 2005 10:22 AM
quackenbush I prefer Bridges over Voodoo, but I think they both could have become classics if they kept them down to about 40 minutes.
[Edited by quackenbush]
April 9th, 2005 10:24 AM
quackenbush
quote:
egon wrote:
what i mean with overproduced is that is sounds too clean.

i like too tight, low down & out of control, but it sounds to "digital", to "perfect".

for instance, out of control did it much better live, as it was rawer.

same goes for voodoo lounge in a way; you got me rocking is much better live than on the album.

don't know how to explain it better...

Same goes for Thief in the Night. I think it is one of the few songs that stood out on No Security.
April 9th, 2005 10:32 AM
Lavendar There music is wonderful! As long as they stay together, as I recall back in the 70s' they were so trashed and the music sounded good cuz we had heard it over and over it didn't really matter if it sounded terrible. Also, the drugs helped!
April 9th, 2005 11:06 AM
corgi37 Man, drugs help everything.

WORD!
April 9th, 2005 04:21 PM
Ten Thousand Motels It will be good. But I suppose the nitpickers will always complain. But my feeling is that they'll play it close to the chest instead of going hell bent for leather. They need a producer that will read them the riot act...and not some hired gun.
April 9th, 2005 04:37 PM
glencar Don Was is the producer, right?
April 9th, 2005 04:46 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
Don Was is the producer, right?

I dunno. But I'm getting a bad feeling about all this. Not the tour....that's always cool...the record.
April 9th, 2005 06:45 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
I dunno. But I'm getting a bad feeling about all this. Not the tour....that's always cool...the record.

Ah, don't sweat it too much. The Stones have never really put out a *bad* record, as in front-to-back, unlistenable crap like, say, a 1990s Duran Duran record. They're too professional for that, and they always have recycled riffs to fall back on.

Just don't bet on a brilliant cache of inspiration. ...
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood