ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Woody and his wife to launch organic products later in 2005.....From Ian Return to archive
April 8th, 2005 02:46 AM
IanBillen
It says on Woody's site that he is working on a project that will launch later this year. It gives a link that lets you find out a short summary of what it consists of. I think the link is his wifes web-site.

Nothing music related but I figured I'd post it. Woody smokes organic cigarretes nowadays as well I believe.

Organic is the way to go....but it is so pricey.

Ian
April 8th, 2005 05:18 AM
Gazza I'm sure he can afford them!

Organic cigarettes? Thats something I've never heard of, I have to admit!

Who knows, by next year, he might have Keith playing better as he'll be on organic vodka
[Edited by Gazza]
April 8th, 2005 05:23 AM
egon and it just keeps going downhill...
April 8th, 2005 05:35 AM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:
I'm sure he can afford them!

Organic cigarettes? Thats something I've never heard of, I have to admit!

Who knows, by next year, he might have Keith playing better as he'll be on organic vodka

Easy does it there.

It is my understanding Keith actually grew the organic tobacco himself in his garden and even personally rolled the cigarretes for Ronnie while staying at Micks in France. Yes, and he also lights them for good Ronnie. Word has it he will actually start smoking them for Ronnie as well.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
[Edited by IanBillen]
April 8th, 2005 07:17 AM
Gazza some smartarse is bound to say that it shouldnt be a big step as he plays his guitar parts for him too, but it won't be me.....;-)
April 8th, 2005 08:49 AM
Honky Tonk Man Organic cigarettes? Does that mean you can get organic lung cancer? The mind boggles, it really does.
April 8th, 2005 08:54 AM
Zeeta Don't it just mean a reefer! That's fairly organic!
April 8th, 2005 09:09 AM
BILL PERKS HOW DO YOU THINK KEEF FEELS WHEN HE CANNOT SMOKE AROUND CHARLIE ANYMORE?KEITH'S GOTTA GO OUTSIDE NOW WHEN RECORDING OR REHEARSING..JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.
April 8th, 2005 10:26 AM
glencar Didn't Ronnie give up smoking altogether?
April 8th, 2005 10:33 AM
Gazza well he was advised to over a year ago because he was told he had a serious risk of emphysema and his prognosis was poor if he didnt stop.

While he seems to have finally kicked alcohol, the cigarettes were a bigger problem for him. However, he seems to finally be managing it. At the Drury Lane show, he didnt touch a drink or cigarette all night, which must be a first.
April 8th, 2005 10:35 AM
glencar One of our big news anchors over here just announced a case of lung cancer after smoking on & off for 3 decades. Emphysema is a horrible disease. If I did smoke, seeing someone on that breathing pump would be enough to stop me.
April 8th, 2005 11:56 AM
Martha Don't you guys know how many pesticides and additives cigarettes have added to them? I once read over 200, including sugar and imbalming fluid. There is added crap in all mainstream corporatized what we call food. I buy organic and grow organic food.

Organic tobacco is possibly less lethal to a degree anyway for that reason.
April 8th, 2005 07:25 PM
some smartarse is bound to say that it shouldnt be a big step as he plays his guitar parts for him too, but it won't be me.....;-)

Now:
I seen you posted on IORR that the album is nowhere near finished. I would reply to your post over there but for some reason the reply option only brings me to your post again with no possible way to reply. Not that I mind of coarse but I will have to address that post here on the famous Rocks Off message board.

*Why do you keep insisting the album is "nowhere near finished" as you put it on IORR??? Why on earth do you think that?

Gazza, not for anything but almost anyone could guess there isn't a whole hell of alot to do on it at this point. Geeze Don Was will only have three more weeks or so with them ....tops. His "Was not was" tour starts next month. It only makes sense at this point.

By sometime next month the album should, in all probability be finished. I get the impression you seem to think they are only in the middle of this thing by reading your posts on this subject. It is my, as well as most folks impression that they are infact nearing the end of this album. Why you keep insisiting they are no where near that is beyond me?

I look forward to your input as usual,

Ian
April 8th, 2005 07:51 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Martha wrote:
[...]

Organic tobacco is possibly less lethal to a degree anyway for that reason.

Yes Martha, it's possible. But I thought out pal Ian referred do chiba.

Well, regarding the news here on this thread, I am the last one to sound like a typical bored naysayer, anyway..... go ahead, keep this BS going....... meanwhile....Alice Cooper after his last superb album, "The Eyes of Alice Cooper", is working hard on his upcoming spanking new album, "Dirty Diamonds". Deep Purple as always brilliant, is also working on their new album, lookind forward to another World Tour, AC/DC is also working on it.....

Come on guys, you are still the TOP.....don't lose the focus....bring us this damn album and WORLD TOUR.

"Best Stones Yet"
April 8th, 2005 08:13 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
some smartarse is bound to say that it shouldnt be a big step as he plays his guitar parts for him too, but it won't be me.....;-)

Thank you for that Gary. I couldn't quite find the form to respond when I read Ian's post .
April 8th, 2005 08:43 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Now:
I seen you posted on IORR that the album is nowhere near finished. I would reply to your post over there but for some reason the reply option only brings me to your post again with no possible way to reply. Not that I mind of coarse but I will have to address that post here on the famous Rocks Off message board.

*Why do you keep insisting the album is "nowhere near finished" as you put it on IORR??? Why on earth do you think that?

Gazza, not for anything but almost anyone could guess there isn't a whole hell of alot to do on it at this point. Geeze Don Was will only have three more weeks or so with them ....tops. His "Was not was" tour starts next month. It only makes sense at this point.

By sometime next month the album should, in all probability be finished. I get the impression you seem to think they are only in the middle of this thing by reading your posts on this subject. It is my, as well as most folks impression that they are infact nearing the end of this album. Why you keep insisiting they are no where near that is beyond me?

I look forward to your input as usual,

Ian

well, the guy who posted was whining about "why dont they announce their new album" and "why dont Mick and Keith announce a tour" (as if they handle all the logistics and book all the venues and hotels themselves in between recording sessions)

all I meant was its clearly not done yet. like you, I dont know at what stage theyre at but not too many people seem to have played on it as yet and it certainly hasnt been mixed.

It isnt at such an advanced stage where they could let industry people get a listen to it or anything like that.

I had a tape of "Bridges" about a month before the album came out(likewise with Keith's "main offender") , so advanced copies were obviously being leaked to industry people several weeks in advance and copies were being made. We're far from that stage.

Right now, I would guess that the Stones themselves arent even at a stage where they even know what songs are going to be on their next record. Theres still time for some of the stuff theyve worked on to progress into something that either makes the final cut or fall by the wayside as well. they'd probably have a shortlist of possible/probable songs though, but not a final selection.

Realistically, Don Was doesnt really need to be there at a stage when the band are merely adding overdubs and certainly not when the record is being mixed. But yeah, I would imagine that as you say it wouldnt take more than a few weeks work.

[Edited by Gazza]
April 8th, 2005 10:06 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I had a tape of "Bridges" about a month before the album came out(likewise with Keith's "main offender") , so advanced copies were obviously being leaked to industry people several weeks in advance and copies were being made. We're far from that stage.

I remember that bad idea of "Radio Babylon" too, it hurted the UK sales for Bridges To Babylon.
April 9th, 2005 01:37 AM

well, the guy who posted was whining about "why dont they announce their new album" and "why dont Mick and Keith announce a tour" (as if they handle all the logistics and book all the venues and hotels themselves in between recording sessions)

all I meant was its clearly not done yet. like you, I dont know at what stage theyre at but not too many people seem to have played on it as yet and it certainly hasnt been mixed.

It isnt at such an advanced stage where they could let industry people get a listen to it or anything like that.

Right now, I would guess that the Stones themselves arent even at a stage where they even know what songs are going to be on their next record. Theres still time for some of the stuff theyve worked on to progress into something that either makes the final cut or fall by the wayside as well. they'd probably have a shortlist of possible/probable songs though, but not a final selection.

Realistically, Don Was doesnt really need to be there at a stage when the band are merely adding overdubs and certainly not when the record is being mixed. But yeah, I would imagine that as you say it wouldnt take more than a few weeks work.

I see. I think your right on the logistics. I don't think everything is finalized yet. I differ a little bit as far as song selection and over-dubs go. I think Don Was would surely be there on the over-dubs. That is very much still the recording process. The producer will know when a "take" is good enough to add to the other tracks on the song and will also know when the over-dub was not good enough. A standard Producer is always there during the over-dubs.
As far as the mixing goes. A certain mix can make or break a song. It can also drastically change the sound and feel of a song. He will most likely be working along with whoever does it. Don Was usually takes the mixed copies himself to the person or people who will master it. That's what he said in an interview once anyway. Sometimes he stays around for that and some-times not depending.

I think your right in that by mid-to late May the whole album should be finished.

* Oh yes,
I thought this might be worth mentioning. It really has no point or anything but I know a producer/engineer who worked on the Dirty work album (in a sense). His name is Mike Talanca. He now ownes Tune Town recording studio's in Newton Falls Ohio which is only about 1/2 hour from here. He is known around here and has a few gold albums on his wall that he helped on. He was an asisitant Engineer on one Bob Segers bigger selling albums. He finally moved back to the area and the papers do write ups on him from time to time. He was a studio technician while the Stones were recording Dirty Work. He was involved in setting the studio up for the Stones before they got there. He was allowed in on some occasions to see them record the album. He said that was not permitted all the time with big names and this was also the case with the Stones of coarse. He played video games with Mick Jagger in the lounge area during the groups breaks. He said they would sometimes come out there. He has worked with alot of big names. David bowie, Bob Segar, Journey, Kiss etc. etc. I asked if Mick knows who he is personally and he said he may not know his name anymore but would probably recognise his face if they were to meet again. He said on the few occasions he was sitting in on a session he recalls Steve Lilly White telling Jagger to sing a song in different ways such as happy, more excited, deeper, higher etc. etc. Kinda neat. He also said he spent two days with David Bowie and another person in a small tape room while they were splicing tape. Bowie was there to see the edits were going OK and wanted involved on every aspect of his recording. He said they joked and Bowie more or less acted like normal guy. He is a nice dude who as you probably can tell can hold his own in a music business discussion as well as being a wizard on the components. He has a very impressive mixing console he built himself at his studio.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
April 9th, 2005 01:56 PM
glencar Somehow I ended up with video of the promo package for Dirty Work. It's fascinating stuff if you're kind of drunk & bored.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood