ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Anyone from UK gone to US to see them? Return to archive
April 7th, 2005 06:36 PM
Flairville Hi gang, I'm saving up to go and see the Stones in America. I wondered who's done this before and where do you get the best flight/accomodation deals? Any help would be much appreciated!

I vaguely remember Gazza talking about seeing them in the US for No Security while we were drinking before the recent Ronnie gig?!
April 7th, 2005 07:04 PM
swapwoodfortaylor Don't worry about what it costs to get there or where you kip! I've been to all US (from UK) since '81. (And all UK from '65). The last tour I fortunately only had 1 ticket.. for my compulsory Atlanta. The sound was so bad that I wished that I was at home! The distortion of drum and bass was uncomfortable. I had 2nd price seats but out from centre! Go for a pricey seat centre.....or stay at home and listen to Brussels Affair!! (Having said all of that...if they do Mad Sq or Atlanta in 2005 I'll be there!!).
April 7th, 2005 07:10 PM
Gazza yeah - I went to Hartford for the shows in '99 and then New York and LA in 2002.

You should be able to get a great choice of direct flights from your own local airport, Manchester , to the US.

look in sites such as
www.travelselect.com
www.expedia.com
www.lastminute.com
www.opodo.com
www.cheapflights.co.uk

you'll also get plenty of offers in the travel supplements in the Sunday papers (eg Sunday Times)

Check them all out as they're pretty competitive. Flights tend to be considerably cheaper from late September onwards when the high season ends.

You might want to put your name down with some of the flight and ticket package deals such as Event Travel, Badlands etc. but if you can get the concert tickets on your own first, personally I think you're better booking the flights and accommodation yourself

I do recommend going to see the Stones in the US. It makes a nice change to see them near the start of a tour (the setlists are less predictable than they become when they reach Europe)...plus the Yanks are really good hosts and know how to look after you.

And with the pound being so strong against the dollar at the minute, if you're going to go ANY year, it's this one.
[Edited by Gazza]
April 8th, 2005 07:47 AM
Flairville Thanks Gazza, yeah with the exchange being so good it's got to be done! Thanks again.
April 8th, 2005 09:06 AM
Honky Tonk Man Saw them at Giants Stadium in 2002!

I really don't think I'll be seeing them in the States this time round though. It's money you see, can be a horrible thing!
April 8th, 2005 09:18 AM
BillyBoll I've been wanting to see them in MSG since I first heard Ya Ya's and this could be the year for it!
April 8th, 2005 09:40 AM
Gazza there ya go, Flairville. We have a sizeable enough delegation from these shores. And all from good northern cities noted for fighting and drinking too (Belfast, Manchester and Liverpool). All we need now is for Scotrocks to come along and represent Glasgow!
[Edited by Gazza]
April 8th, 2005 10:22 AM
glencar Welcome to America! The exchange rate is a killer right now for Americans. I'm itching to go over there but will probably combine it with some tour action myself.
April 8th, 2005 10:24 AM
Gazza come over next year and we can kick the shit out of you, as well!!

April 8th, 2005 10:27 AM
glencar LOL I will probably go to Dublin if that's a venue city. If not, I'd like to see Warsaw or Prague & accept that the setlist will be less than challenging.
April 8th, 2005 10:29 AM
Gazza I might do Prague myself, actually as we now have direct flights from here and its a city I've fancied seeing.

I'd hope they'd do Dublin again as I think they definitely enjoyed it there last time
[Edited by Gazza]
April 8th, 2005 10:31 AM
glencar I've never been to eastern Europe & I'd like to see some of those old cities. I ahve some friends in Graz, Austria too so it's possible I'd go to Vienna. Last time I did London & Dublin. The traveling was rough as it was only 2 weeks between flights.
April 8th, 2005 11:26 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I might do Prague myself, actually as we now have direct flights from here and its a city I've fancied seeing.

I'd hope they'd do Dublin again as I think they definitely enjoyed it there last time
[Edited by Gazza]

Prague is awesome Gazza! Do go, you will not regret it! My aunty lived in the hard end of Prague, Palmovka and we had some real good times there a truly amazing place, the people are cool, architecture unrivaled and the beer, well that's another issue. When I was there a few years back for a crackin opint of local pilsner it was 30p!

GO GO!
April 8th, 2005 12:36 PM
BillyBoll Yeah, come on Scotrocks. Lets be 'avin' you (oh shit thats cockney!) Never mind - they'd be welcome too.

But what about you Zeeta - you up for it?
April 9th, 2005 12:17 AM
Maxmeister [quote]Gazza wrote:
yeah - I went to Hartford for the shows in '99 and then New York and LA in 2002.

Actually, we found Gazza wondering aimlessly on the streets of NYC in Sept of '02, mumbling Stones, Guinness, Stones, Guinness. It was quite scary at first.
It was a helluva 4 days and hopefully there will be an opportunity to do it again.
There is nothing like experiencing the Stones at MSG. Every fanatic should do it at least once.

Rick

April 9th, 2005 08:12 AM
Gazza LOL

You got the wrong board admin. I think it was "stones, tequila..". There's your clue as to who it was....
April 9th, 2005 11:33 AM
Maxmeister
quote:
Gazza wrote:
LOL

You got the wrong board admin. I think it was "stones, tequila..". There's your clue as to who it was....

Yes, it seemed like Voodoo had a tequila in one hand and a Heineken in the other the whole time we were there. We won't talk of him wanderng the streets the night of MSG. [lol]

Rick
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood