ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Elton John Says Eminem Is a 'Hendrix' (SSC) Return to archive
April 7th, 2005 04:45 PM
justinkurian Elton John Says Eminem Is a 'Hendrix'

NEW YORK - Elton John says that Eminem is on par with Jimi Hendrix and Mick Jagger. In the new issue of Rolling Stone, the rapper is listed in the magazine's second "Immortals" edition, featuring another 50 of the greatest figures of rock `n' roll with appreciations written by other artists. In his immortalizing of Eminem, John writes that he got goose bumps when he first rehearsed with him for their performance at the 2001 Grammy Awards.

"From the start, I've always admired Eminem's thinking," John writes. "That's the reason I wanted to appear on the Grammys with him when I was asked, despite all the nonsense talked about his being homophobic.

"Let the Boy Georges and the George Michaels of the world get up in a twist about it if they don't have the intelligence to see his intelligence."

Other contributors include Dave Matthews writing on Radiohead, Trey Anastasio on Frank Zappa, Beck on Hank Williams, David Bowie on Nine Inch Nails and Mos Def on Miles Davis.

The original top 50 "Immortals" were listed by Rolling Stone in 2004. Topping the ranks were the Beatles, Bob Dylan and Elvis Presley.
April 7th, 2005 05:01 PM
Prodigal Son Elton has also praised "luminaries" such as the Darkness, Neil Sedaka and Kiki Dee. Gimme a break. More reasons to hate Rolling Stone's snot ragazine. Good lord, say pop if you want to include crap like Eminem. He may deep, thoughtful, etc. but he's also an ass and a complete waste sometimes. Most rap sucks. Only Public Enemy, Grandmaster Flash and that kinda stuff interests me a little. Only artists in R&B, blues, country, folk and rock/pop can be considered for a "rock n' roll" list. IMO, rap is probably the least influential form of music to rock. Even jazz and classical have done better when collaborating with rock. Rap-rock's list of significant artists: Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, need I go on? Heck, lists of "rock" should not include artists who are far from what rock really is. Rappers and jazz guys, for example. Classical, jazz and rap are all too distant. But at least the first two are decent.
April 7th, 2005 05:36 PM
Gimme Shelter WTF
April 7th, 2005 05:36 PM
Taptrick

Jimi Hendrix is to music as Eminem is to urban nursery rhymes.

[Edited by Taptrick]
April 7th, 2005 06:04 PM
Jair Too bad Eminem will never say the same about Elton John...

April 7th, 2005 07:34 PM
Gazza does this mean Eminem will be choking on his own vomit any day soon?
April 7th, 2005 07:39 PM
KeithRichardsWife WTF ???
April 7th, 2005 09:35 PM
Soldatti
quote:
justinkurian wrote:
Elton John Says Eminem Is a 'Hendrix'

The bitch is back.
April 7th, 2005 11:15 PM
Taptrick

I never saw Jimi Hendrix lose an argument with a hand puppet on national TV.

April 8th, 2005 12:48 AM
Poplar
fuck elton. keith should have kicked his ass years back.
April 8th, 2005 03:51 AM
egon didn't he used to run around stage in a chicken suite?

nuff said....
April 8th, 2005 05:02 AM
egon here we go:

Now read the article again, and it all makes sence
April 8th, 2005 08:00 AM
corgi37 Man, why isnt old Reggie dead?

He must have an cast-iron ass or something.
April 8th, 2005 04:13 PM
CraigP They both suck. And they do not rock. Mr. "I'm so gay's" music is for old, rich, post-menopausal women. In duck suits.
Hendrix is a rock god.
Eminem= Emmies
[Edited by CraigP]
April 8th, 2005 05:21 PM
padre Justin Timberlake is the new Howlin' Wolf
April 8th, 2005 08:29 PM
justinkurian By the way, I just noticed some of the voters for this thing:

Keith
Townshend
Springsteen
A few others I now forget.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7235503
[Edited by justinkurian]
April 8th, 2005 09:46 PM
Soldatti The whole list is a joke.
April 10th, 2005 01:16 PM
Irresistible-Lady Elton John sucks!
He's a real asshole..
April 10th, 2005 01:17 PM
84 Dave
quote:
Irresistible-Lady wrote:
Elton John sucks
asshole..

[Edited by 84 Dave]
April 10th, 2005 02:02 PM
Irresistible-Lady Yeah that's also true..
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood